LegacyGT.com

Trunk release works poorly

My problem was that the trunk release cable was stretched out too far ie having too much slack in it, which was a manufacturing defect. I see no reason why it should not be covered if you are having similar symptoms.

From what I know, the only time a dealer will replace anything for free is if the car is still under warranty, or a part is covered under some type of recall program.

My dealer is a 60 mile round trip, so I don't want to waste my time if they aren't going to fix it for free. I'll probably call them first to see what they say.

Anyone else here get their trunk release fixed for free by the dealer, even if your car was not under warranty?

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry back from the dead:

I found that with my trunk if I pull the latch from inside the vehicle the trunk will unlatch and i can open it fine if I DO NOT shut my door. It seems the shock from shutting any of my doors will cause the trunk to re-latch itself. Does this sound it would be fixed by getting the cable replaced??

I found that with my trunk if I pull the latch from inside the vehicle the trunk will unlatch and i can open it fine if I DO NOT shut my door. It seems the shock from shutting any of my doors will cause the trunk to re-latch itself. Does this sound it would be fixed by getting the cable replaced??

I have the trunk issues, and I agree with you there is a much better chance of it opening with inside latch if I do not close the driver door.

sounds like a latch problem. try spraying some PB Blaster in there and see if it helps. If that doesnt work, Id say its your cable not pulling the latch open enuf

• Mega Users
Yep, I bought my 05 new on late jun 04, 142,000 miles, there is no warranty.

how difficult was this to do, and do you really need to rip up the whole interior?

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

My '08 Spec.B is a bitch to open sometimes where I have to use force to break the seal and open the trunk. The latch and key fob both work, but the trunk doesn't pop open. I'm going to call the dealer today.

I bought the car with 7,600 miles on it and it's been happening since then so I don't think the cable should be worn out in such a short period of time.

• Mega Users
Sounds like what my 05 wagon was doing. I ended up buying the whole $62 mechinism and only using the white plastic acturator. It's held on by 2 brass color screws. Works fine now. I should have updated this back in May.

Seems to be a normal problem the parts manager knew what I needed.

sorry a little out of it today:). The trunk release mechanism replacement.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

sorry a little out of it today:). The trunk release mechanism replacement.

Pretty easy. In the wagon there is a small panel that pops off, a couple of screws and a connector and it's replaced.

The truck on the Spec takes a man to break the seal, but it alway's opens. I should rub a little silicone grease on the seal.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 months later...
go to dealer, trunk cable will be replaced for free

Has ANYONE who owns a Legacy that is out of the warranty period gotten the Subaru dealer to replace the trunk release cable for free?:icon_ques

• 9 months later...

Since this thread was bumped:lol:

Was having the problem when cold. Took off my spoiler and the trunk releases and flies open now when I barely lift it:lol: seemed like my was the torsion bars wearing out. Never tried the cable replace/tension and wouldn't you know that the dealer couldn't replicate the problem:rolleyes:

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

• I Donated
Since this thread was bumped:lol:

Was having the problem when cold. Took off my spoiler and the trunk releases and flies open now when I barely lift it:lol: seemed like my was the torsion bars wearing out. Never tried the cable replace/tension and wouldn't you know that the dealer couldn't replicate the problem:rolleyes:

Did you replace the torsion bars? If so, got any part numbers?

@ thefultonhow - my Spec came with the factory spoiler - dang it. I added some sound dampening material to the trunk lid as well, so that probably doesn't help it. I took the car to the dealer (to install an ACT clutch) and the good folks at Don Beyer Subaru (I don't work there) did some research and came up with the following part numbers for "accessory torsion bars" : e721sag020 and e721sag030. I'll probably get that stuff ordered and installed at some point in the next couple of weeks. But, if someone else gets the stuff installed, I'd like to know if works.

Did you replace the torsion bars? If so, got any part numbers?

nope, wanted to go spoilerless and did just that

I've been told that there is a stiffer torsion bars specifically for the trunks with a spoiler. Mine are worn out too, I'll buy new ones eventually.. or install those strut things

thats what i heard and my car came factory w/ spoiler.... i did add sound dampening to the trunk lid but for 4 years the trunk operated fine even in cold conditions ~30 degrees w/ dampening material

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

• 1 year later...
So my remote trunk release on the key fob doesn't work at all. I have tried pushing it many times over a period of time and moving my finger around when I do it but nothing happens. The key fob still locks and unlocks the doors just fine and beeps too. There is no beeping when I try to use the key fob for the trunk. It appears lifeless. Does anyone know how to fix this? I've been looking around and I couldn't find a real answer. I don't think it would be the batteries because the doors still unlock and lock, right? Any suggestions would be great.

Where your trunk latch and filler lock is is a really bad spot for dirt to get trApped in it. Pop off the cover and slide off the latch plastic covers and vaccuum it out underneath. Also wd40 the springs and the latches pull back better

• I Donated
So my remote trunk release on the key fob doesn't work at all. I have tried pushing it many times over a period of time and moving my finger around when I do it but nothing happens. The key fob still locks and unlocks the doors just fine and beeps too. There is no beeping when I try to use the key fob for the trunk. It appears lifeless. Does anyone know how to fix this? I've been looking around and I couldn't find a real answer. I don't think it would be the batteries because the doors still unlock and lock, right? Any suggestions would be great.

Are you holding it down for 5-6 seconds? Have you tried multiple key fobs?

Archived