LegacyGT.com

Trunk release works poorly

Did you guys read my post on the preceding page? If you can fix your issue with a bit of lube, great. But, I suspect the longer term fix is to replace the torsion bars with the ones that are meant for the trunk lid with a spoiler. Even if the original dealer installed the right torsion bars, it is quite possible that they may have worn out - especially on cars that have a couple of years under their belts. That's what I did and the trunk release works just fine, even with added sound dampening material and the big fugly spoiler.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just fixed my sons trunk latch on his 2006 impreza. It had the same problems. Could not close it with out slamming it REALLY hard even then it as a 50/50 proposition. Opening was hit and miss and no way could you open it from the drivers seat. I crawled in the trunk with a flashlight to see what it was doing. Turns out there were a couple of problems.

1st, the latch was pretty beat up and bent. Probably from trying to put that ridiculously large subwoofer in. Must have bent the latch so far forward towards the front of the car the it was hitting the side of the "hook" instead of the middle. You could see the wear marks.

I put a big crescent wrench on it and bent it towards the back of the car. Took a big screwdriver and straightened the locking lever inside the latch frame. Fingered some silicone grease on. That's it. Opens with the fob and key and I can close it with 1 finger.

The other problem was the valet switch. There is a lever on the top half of the trunk latch with "cancel" stamped next to it that disables the ability to use the drivers trunk latch. The latch was lose so it flopped up and down. sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. Tighten it a bit and now all is good.

• I Donated

AFAIK, the "valet switch" is not actually a thing on LGTs. There is no key lock on the trunk, just a key lock on the release lever. That lock cannot be opened by the valet key, so no need for a switch on the latch, just lock that and go.

BTW, I seem to recall someone posting in another thread that there is only one part number for the torsion bars on 07-09s. Only the 05-06s had a spoiler part and a no-spoiler part.

Archived