LegacyGT.com

My Interior Illumination mod - Lighted Cup Holders

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But now we can at least see where to put our Venti-Super-Mocca-Frappa-Cappa-Moo-Latte-Sweetsie drink at night! That's why I did the lights, so I don't spill my drinkie-poo all over my wife! ;) Edited by ChasWG

Finally got around to doing this mod the other day. It was a little more difficult because I have the acrylic ring so there is less space to mount. I ended up using silicon to hold the LED in the little box and have it aim toward the acrylic ring. I also got around to adding the LED between the map lights. My base model didn't come with this LED. I found a wire that grounds when the headlights are turned on.

Finally got around to doing this mod the other day. It was a little more difficult because I have the acrylic ring so there is less space to mount. I ended up using silicon to hold the LED in the little box and have it aim toward the acrylic ring. I also got around to adding the LED between the map lights. My base model didn't come with this LED. I found a wire that grounds when the headlights are turned on.

I didn't even know that the blue LED by the map lights was a trim specific item. Interesting.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

I'm going to install this weekend and have been paying attention to this thread... The Blue led between the map lights topic has confused me since I read it (earlier in this thread). I'm going to look into it today cause If I end up adding it, I'll have to pick up an extra led.

I'm going to install this weekend and have been paying attention to this thread... The Blue led between the map lights topic has confused me since I read it (earlier in this thread). I'm going to look into it today cause If I end up adding it, I'll have to pick up an extra led.

the pack I got from checker/o'riley came with 3 for $7. I have the cubby light from my impreza I took out before they took my car to the auction. It seems the hole in the cubby is made for that module itself, but I'll have to fab up a connector to wire it in unless I hack the wiring that came with my footwell lights too just to get the connector.

The LED between the map lights came on '10 premium and up. i have base 2.5i. I made a little insert with a dvd case and just drilled a hole for the LED and 2 holes for the screws to hold it in. Had to dremel down nubs on the trim to make it lie flat. I might have to redo it as the LED shines on the arm rest and not the shifter as I think was the intention

Edited by Nacron

I thanked both you guys, but after realized you guys just gave me more work... :p

I opened mine up, there is a hole for the LED with a piece of film as not to blind anyone, so I'll sit it behind that seems easy.. I guess I'll just grab power from the wires going to the map light...

Can someone confirm 1)if this light is always on or 2)only on with the "night" lights or 3)on with the map lights?

please and thanks

It's suppose to be on all the time. I have to go up there again and fix mine. I took out that piece of neutral density plastic. It was knocking the light down too much for my taste.

Edit: This is wrong. Mine is wired backwards... fixing that...

Edited by ChasWG

Wait wait, are you guys talking about that tiny blue light between the map lights? That actually has a purpose? I always figured it was related to the bluetooth, it seems completely useless otherwise lol

Edit: To contribute to the discussion though, mine didn't come on until I turned the lights on.. Parking lights and low beams both made it come on. And I think I saw it shining around the cupholders! Crazy!

Edited by Kad

I thanked both you guys, but after realized you guys just gave me more work... :p

I opened mine up, there is a hole for the LED with a piece of film as not to blind anyone, so I'll sit it behind that seems easy.. I guess I'll just grab power from the wires going to the map light...

Can someone confirm 1)if this light is always on or 2)only on with the "night" lights or 3)on with the map lights?

please and thanks

The blue light in the overhead console comes one with either the marker or headlights. It's off if the lights are off.

OK, I have mine wired backwards then. Because mine in one when the car is either in the run position or while my running lights or headlights are turned off. The blue light then turns off when I turn on my headlights.

I had to replace the original one when I messed it up when I was hardwiring in my GPS. I replaced it with one of the same lights that I installed in my cup hold light mod. Same color. I think I have mine wired backwards.

please and thanks

On with the headlights. The positive wire you can use is the middle of the 3 that go to the maplight and the negative switched is the 2nd from the opposite side on the same row. I'll try to grab a pic of the inside of the map light soon.

2011-03-01%2022.59.43.jpg

2011-03-01%2019.59.07.jpg

2011-03-01%2019.58.57.jpg

2011-03-01%2022.59.07.jpg

Edited by Nacron

If you can put up a pic of the wires I'd appreciate it, I'm installing tonight!

I am an electrician so I have all my measuring tools, but if I could get a pic that would save me some time...

Thanks a lot guys hopefully I'll have some pics some time next week, I'm doing mine in red.

Cool Nacron! I really want to get that plastic diffuser ring. It looks so much better with that in place.

BTW, I fixed my dome blue light. I did have it wired backwards. So now it comes on with the rest of the lights. And now it's aimed correctly too. I totally had to rebuild that light. Just becareful with the factory LED, it's fragile.

Cool Nacron! I really want to get that plastic diffuser ring. It looks so much better with that in place.

BTW, I fixed my dome blue light. I did have it wired backwards. So now it comes on with the rest of the lights. And now it's aimed correctly too. I totally had to rebuild that light. Just becareful with the factory LED, it's fragile.

you reaimed the factory blue light in the map lights?

I had to replace my factory LED with one of the ones I used for my cup holders. I did something bad to it and I'm not sure, but it doesn't work anymore. So I unsoldered the factory LED thta is set into an electrical boad and wired in one of those blue LEDs from the parts store. Then to get it to aim right I had to make a plastic plate to hold it. I cut a small piece of Lexan and drilled three hols in it. Two for the screw holes and one for the LED to fit into. Now the light shines rigt down onto the shifter, coin holder area very well. I might even replace that thin, neutral density diffuser that I took out to get more light out of the original LED. It's pretty bright now.

I had to replace my factory LED with one of the ones I used for my cup holders. I did something bad to it and I'm not sure, but it doesn't work anymore. So I unsoldered the factory LED thta is set into an electrical boad and wired in one of those blue LEDs from the parts store. Then to get it to aim right I had to make a plastic plate to hold it. I cut a small piece of Lexan and drilled three hols in it. Two for the screw holes and one for the LED to fit into. Now the light shines rigt down onto the shifter, coin holder area very well. I might even replace that thin, neutral density diffuser that I took out to get more light out of the original LED. It's pretty bright now.

That's what I did but I shaved a bit off the tip of the led to get it to fit against that diffuser

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Good idea on shaving the tip of the LED. I was thinking that it would fit in there anymore with that new LED in place. I was driving the car tonight and damn the new LED without the ND filter in there is bright, bright and bright! I have to cut it down some.

Can someone tell me what wires are connected.. as in pos and neg.. please.

My model doesn't come with it, I'd like to put it in, but the space is really small, I can hardly get to the wires to test them..

You're talking about the top light or cup holder light?

I tried to do this yesterday....but I cant find any LED's that would work.

Pilot seems to have discontinued those lights--I was at 2 Auto Zones, 2 Advanced Autos, O'Rielly's, and NAPA. O'Rielly's is trying to order them, but they couldn't find them in-stock anywhere in the country.

Radio Shack doesn't have anything in 12v.

Where are you guys finding wired L.E.D.'s?? Everything I find is to plug into cigarette lighter.

I tried to do this yesterday....but I cant find any LED's that would work.

Pilot seems to have discontinued those lights--I was at 2 Auto Zones, 2 Advanced Autos, O'Rielly's, and NAPA. O'Rielly's is trying to order them, but they couldn't find them in-stock anywhere in the country.

Radio Shack doesn't have anything in 12v.

Where are you guys finding wired L.E.D.'s?? Everything I find is to plug into cigarette lighter.

EBAY