LegacyGT.com

My Interior Illumination mod - Lighted Cup Holders

Autozone has (or at least the did have) some LED's that are a brighter blue. I did all my own interior lights so I don't know how close they match the factory kit, but they might be worth looking at. I can't seem to find them on the website but I've seen them in the store before.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Autozone has (or at least the did have) some LED's that are a brighter blue. I did all my own interior lights so I don't know how close they match the factory kit, but they might be worth looking at. I can't seem to find them on the website but I've seen them in the store before.

Thanks! I'll look into those.

Also, in regards to the reversal of dimming I was running into, SVXdc was able to help me (as always). Turns out the dimmed signal is a pulse width modulation rather than an analog voltage variation. See his post here for details:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=39156372#post39156372

• 2 months later...

I used the blue lights for two reasons. 1) Yes the down light that came with the car is blue to start with. So I wanted to match that and that's what the factory kit is as well. 2) I had Red down lights in my former A6 and wanted to do something different from that car. Yes the red is cool too and it doen't effect your night vision, but I think that the output of these lights is so small and none of them are directed at your eyes squarely, so your night vision should remain the same.<br />

<br />

And blue is Techie Cool! ;)<br />

<br />

Also, I dug into the blue down light installed in the dome light area and removed the factory Neutral Density filter that sits right in front of the Blue LED. The light now actually lets you see things in that area. Before it was just a dim, faint blue glow.

How do I remove this nuetral density filter?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I used the blue lights for two reasons. 1) Yes the down light that came with the car is blue to start with. So I wanted to match that and that's what the factory kit is as well. 2) I had Red down lights in my former A6 and wanted to do something different from that car. Yes the red is cool too and it doen't effect your night vision, but I think that the output of these lights is so small and none of them are directed at your eyes squarely, so your night vision should remain the same.

And blue is Techie Cool! ;)

Also, I dug into the blue down light installed in the dome light area and removed the factory Neutral Density filter that sits right in front of the Blue LED. The light now actually lets you see things in that area. Before it was just a dim, faint blue glow.

How did you remove the neutral density filter?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Picked up a cupholder with the plexi ring a few months back from another member here. My first go at it with some small chip LEDs didn't go well, plus they were too bright.

On my second try I wired it up with these, now all I have to do is splice into the harness.

14a36ca9a959e69cbe8cc61efd83f549.jpg

a21575dcb5ee3956bfe50859fcf2348c.jpg

2fbcaa180d99126365ac90826524d416.jpg

8e6492b5ff8cdbaed199ded1c4d1b061.jpg

2d2cbde9d5f39c647df47bca2bdd5c18.jpg

54525f831a1f5dbbe64b45ff5dc7a06e.jpg

Used Molex connectors so that I can unplug it from the harness when removing the console cover.

bb804366634407b0ef98a46ba5ca34f6.jpg

2ece65d526b0b9bf11800921f6ba6d0a.jpg

0524a5aee3ed1b1f187e6c97c47ba2e6.jpg

c4189a3d858bcac6b32a93215681b9f4.jpg

2d871c568b1a21da2155a57ce6bac8c1.jpg

• 9 months later...

Great mod thanks for the info. What are the colors of the seat heater control wires you tapped. How did you wire it, if you used the plug for power?

LIGHT IN THE CUBBY

I found there is a rubber plug in top of The opening under the climate controls. I ran a wire to the glove box light for power and on with night lights. Found a rubber plug I had that fit the hole, stuck the wire through it. Made like a recessed light. Fed wire back above glove box taped there, then left through hole on left side of box rear. Then through radio opening. Had to pull radio, nav trim, like when you remove radio. Blew the fuse once, was number 18 under the hood. Allumination, 10amp. Used thin hard wire to do the fishing through, then pulled wire.

• 1 year later...
Great mod thanks for the info. What are the colors of the seat heater control wires you tapped. How did you wire it, if you used the plug for power?

LIGHT IN THE CUBBY

I found there is a rubber plug in top of The opening under the climate controls. I ran a wire to the glove box light for power and on with night lights. Found a rubber plug I had that fit the hole, stuck the wire through it. Made like a recessed light. Fed wire back above glove box taped there, then left through hole on left side of box rear. Then through radio opening. Had to pull radio, nav trim, like when you remove radio. Blew the fuse once, was number 18 under the hood. Allumination, 10amp. Used thin hard wire to do the fishing through, then pulled wire.

Purple /silver = red wire

Black / yellow=blk wire340009fec1635f129e9663758328ae04.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk