LegacyGT.com

Should I lease a Yaris?

Should I lease a Yaris?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Should I lease a Yaris?

• Yes
    • No

as much as I love the car, I don't think that statement is appropriate for this car.

"Enjoy the GT3 RS, you only live once." is more along the lines of what I would consider appropriate. :lol:

I think it's appropriate for whatever you've got ;)

So buy a GT3RS and DD the Subaru.

Problem solved.

:lol:

I agree with the other guys on the skip the car payment and pay cash for something cheap. The VW TDI suggestion was good as well as the early 90s Honda though those are hard to find, especially unmolested.

Look around for a Saturn S series from 95-99 or so. I've owned 3 S series in my time. The first was a 94sl1 that had 280k on it when we sold it, and was still getting 40mpg. We paid $500 for it and drove it for a couple year and sold it for $500. :) We replaced this with a 95 SL1 that eventually got traded in.

I bought a 95 SL2 for $3k in 99-2000, and threw every bolt on mod possible on it and drove the piss out of it from 80-180k and sold it for $2k in 2005. This car regularly got 30-35 mpg.

None of those 3 Saturns needed anything other than coolant temp sensors and maintenance in the 5+ years that we had Saturns.

I agree with the other guys on the skip the car payment and pay cash for something cheap. The VW TDI suggestion was good as well as the early 90s Honda though those are hard to find, especially unmolested.

Look around for a Saturn S series from 95-99 or so. I've owned 3 S series in my time. The first was a 94sl1 that had 280k on it when we sold it, and was still getting 40mpg. We paid $500 for it and drove it for a couple year and sold it for $500. :) We replaced this with a 95 SL1 that eventually got traded in.

I bought a 95 SL2 for $3k in 99-2000, and threw every bolt on mod possible on it and drove the piss out of it from 80-180k and sold it for $2k in 2005. This car regularly got 30-35 mpg.

None of those 3 Saturns needed anything other than coolant temp sensors and maintenance in the 5+ years that we had Saturns.

Those first gen Saturns do run a long time, with minimal problems except a few head gaskets only on the DOHC motor I think.

I don't want a fun car...

I don't want a quick car...

I don't want to stuff a bunch of stuff in the back...

I don't care about fuel mileage...

Cheap is the name of the game...

Sounds like you're looking for the most generic car you can find. In that case, Toyota might actually be the way to go. They don't call them beige for nothing.

I don't want a fun car. That's what the legacy is for.

I don't want a quick car. That's what the legacy is for.

I don't want to stuff a bunch of stuff in the back (i.e. cram it in the boot). I have no need. I'll borrow a friend tuck if I need to move something.

I don't care about fuel mileage; that's not to say it isn't a good thing. This is a commuter car that takes me to work and back - an 8 mile round trip commute. I'm obviously not going to be making road trips in it.

Cheap is the name of the game and I am also considering cash cars and cheaper used cars. The problem with most of the suggestions is just finding them. Older Civic SIs sell like hotcakes no matter where you go. Any older japanese cars do.

Anyway, appreciate the suggestions, keep them coming!

Well if cheap is what you desire then buy a used Ford Festiva or Aspire, maybe a Geo Metro. They are reliable, because they don't have enough equipment to be even remotely complex, and they are cheap.... really cheap.

For example myself and a friend bought a 1992-ish Ford Fiesta for a case of beer. No shit, we traded a case of beer for a car with a clear clean title. Just needs a clutch put in it, which will be about $300 including labor. Otherwise the little car runs like a top, and fired right up after sitting for close to a year without being started. So all told we'll have about $318.50 in the car not including insurance and fuel to run it, not a bad price for runabout to use at the away from home terminal to get to and from bars and such.

So go ahead and lease your Yarris, for 36 months while I drive around in a paid for Festiva.

Archived