LegacyGT.com

Should I lease a Yaris?

Should I lease a Yaris?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Should I lease a Yaris?

• Yes
    • No

No.

If you want something cheap, get something cheap. A Yaris isn't cheap. An early 90's Impreza with an EJ22 and a 5MT is cheap.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I appreciate the thought, but the base model Yaris is $13k. Base model elantra is $15k. Lowest price wins, especially for lease.

NO MONTHLY PAYMENT! Buy a nonmodded 1.5L DX 1989-1991 honda civic. 40mpg+. $2000 or less. Will go 300k mi. So easy to work on a monkey could do it. Used tranny or motor? $200-300 tops

I will check it out! The tricky part will actually be finding one that isn't falling apart or hauling dead gangster bodies around.

lol

theres someone on here with a black OBXT that also has a Yaris

I think that's mweiner.

I appreciate the thought, but the base model Yaris is $13k. Base model elantra is $15k. Lowest price wins, especially for lease.

Chevrolet Aveo starts at $11,965. For that price you get a fuel mileage computer, better interior styling, better radio with XM free for a while, OnStar, a more powerful engine, very similar fuel mileage (Average within 2 MPG of the Yaris), a better warranty, bigger tires, and an overall lower cost-to-own.

In my personal opinion its probably built better too. Toyota's are over-rated pieces of junk. Poor engineering executed with precision still equals junk. Their cars are woefully under-powered, woefully under-equipped, and woefully over-rated. They've been working off that same "Toyota Quality" scheme for about 10 years now. Truth is, they haven't made a quality car in about 15 years. Their downfall started in the early 90's and continued from there. Their new cars aren't any better than their American competitors. Tundras and Tacoma's that rust and snap after 60K miles, floor mats that don't even have barbs to keep them planted, poor interior quality... They got cocky and now its coming back to bite them in the ass. My girlfriends '07 Corolla sounds like a Briggs-And-Stratton when you first start it because the oil-pressure driven VVT system is made from tissue paper. Their engines have no character. When you drive a Toyota its like driving a cookie cutter toy car, built for the masses to keep every demographic happy. Where's the personality in that.

Your opinions may differ from mine but its OK. I'd personally rather not drive a beige-mobile if I had a choice. They went from Supra's to Celica's. What more needs to be said. Don't believe me? Go to Google and type in "Rotted Frame" and look at the first result. Yup, its a Toyota forum. For the same price as a Chevy Cobalt with alloys, auto transmission, a spoler, XM radio, OnStar, 4 air bags, guage cluster computer, 4 wheel disc brakes, ABS, TCS, USB ports, and a 2.2L 150HP engine you can get a Corolla with rear drums, hubcaps, NO ABS, NO TCS, 2 air bags, a 5 speed stick shift, and a radio that won't even play MP3 CD's. If you can haggle you can get power windows and locks. I rest my case. Toyota thinks they can still sell cars based on the fact that they used to sell GOOD cars. Now they sell junk and hope that the public won't notice. Well, Toyota, keep building your junk. 17 years ago was the last time a Toyota Corolla had independent rear suspension, and the sales figures for Ford, GM, and Chrysler the past couple months indicate that the public has noticed your shortcomings.

If you're buying something that you'll be driving a lot, why make it a shitbox? I mean, sure, it's a new car, but it's still the smallest tin can put on the road. Why not buy a used but nicer car?

You aren't getting 40+ mpg now so why does the new car have to? Wouldn't 30 be plenty if it meant a much nicer commute in the process?

If cheap is the name of the game, get an older Civic SI. One of the peanut ones maybe. They are fun, quick, get stupid gas mileage, and you can stuff a bunch of stuff in the back.

The more fiscally responsible thing to do, would be to pay cash for something a bit older and not be stuck under a payment and mileage restriction.

Personally, I'd try to find something like an '02 VW Golf TDI with a manual transmission. Slap a block heater on it in the colder months and commute your way to 45mpg for short trips.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

If you're buying something that you'll be driving a lot, why make it a shitbox? I mean, sure, it's a new car, but it's still the smallest tin can put on the road. Why not buy a used but nicer car?

The Yaris is a big car compared to an Aygo or Fiat 500.

But it doesn't seem right to lease one.

453747.png

If cheap is the name of the game, get an older Civic SI. One of the peanut ones maybe. They are fun, quick, get stupid gas mileage, and you can stuff a bunch of stuff in the back.

The more fiscally responsible thing to do, would be to pay cash for something a bit older and not be stuck under a payment and mileage restriction.

Personally, I'd try to find something like an '02 VW Golf TDI with a manual transmission. Slap a block heater on it in the colder months and commute your way to 45mpg for short trips.

^What he said.

I don't want a fun car. That's what the legacy is for.

I don't want a quick car. That's what the legacy is for.

I don't want to stuff a bunch of stuff in the back (i.e. cram it in the boot). I have no need. I'll borrow a friend tuck if I need to move something.

I don't care about fuel mileage; that's not to say it isn't a good thing. This is a commuter car that takes me to work and back - an 8 mile round trip commute. I'm obviously not going to be making road trips in it.

Cheap is the name of the game and I am also considering cash cars and cheaper used cars. The problem with most of the suggestions is just finding them. Older Civic SIs sell like hotcakes no matter where you go. Any older japanese cars do.

Anyway, appreciate the suggestions, keep them coming!

lol

Based on that, I suggest heading over to Autotrader, putting the cash you have in hand into the "maximum" box. Then leave everything else on "ANY" and hit search.

Buy the first thing that comes up that strikes your fancy.

Based on that, I suggest heading over to Autotrader, putting the cash you have in hand into the "maximum" box. Then leave everything else on "ANY" and hit search.

Buy the first thing that comes up that strikes your fancy.

:lol:

Well I do know that I want a foreign vehicle b/c reliablity is the one thing I DO need. Also not interested in trucks or SUVs. But I have done what you said with the only restrictions being "Kia" "Honda" "Toyota" "Hyundai" etc :lol:

lol

So buy a GT3RS and DD the Subaru.

Problem solved.

Archived