LegacyGT.com

Vf40 fail!!!

Worst thing to do to an engine...

+1. If a car is never driven hard enough to really heat up the engine the carbon deposits that develop during startup never have a chance to burn off. This can lead to problems with piston rings, valve stems, turbo... The theory that never getting your engine past 3k rpm and never running it WOT is good for it is sadly mistaken.

I would like to see the inside of your turbo. My guess is it is full of thick carbon deposits.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And run a compression test as well, to see if the valves are still closing properly.

Continues low engineload leads to carbon deposits as my neighbour from above allready mentioned. The iron engineblock is also getting stronger when it is heated up regulair.

The engines that are often used to their max, live the longest.

To be completely honest, I think it was just age/mileage. My car was a one-owner from Rhode Island when I bought it with 99,000 miles on it. Owned by a 62 year old college professor, and in bone stock/never modded condition. I never drive this car hard, and do PERFECT maintenence on everything I own. The banjo bolts flowed freely, so the only thing I can think of is age (107,000 miles on it) or coolant problem. The hoses were melted right off, so it's hard to tell which fluids it was or wasn't getting.

So technically, if the hoses were in perfect shape the turbo would not have died; which means that it may still have been in good shape. We'll never know at this point..

Actually, what would cause the hoses to melt? simply age/mileage/engine bay heat?

To be completely honest, I think it was just age/mileage. My car was a one-owner from Rhode Island when I bought it with 99,000 miles on it. Owned by a 62 year old college professor, and in bone stock/never modded condition. I never drive this car hard, and do PERFECT maintenence on everything I own. The banjo bolts flowed freely, so the only thing I can think of is age (107,000 miles on it) or coolant problem. The hoses were melted right off, so it's hard to tell which fluids it was or wasn't getting.

Do you know if the 1st owner did 3750 oil change intervals? I mean from what i've read on this forum the standard OCI was 7500 miles which Subaru later changed. But you did say the bolts were clean and flowed fine. Hmm, I guess your case is one of those where there is no clogging and the turbo failed due to age.

hey guys my vf40 shit the bed bout two miles from my house and i limped it home. made the same hollow spinning/freewheeling noise as mentioned earlier took of tmic and banjo bolts were clear of debris turbo sounds toast. i don't feel mechanically inclined enough to go much further but found some fine metal shavings in the inlet to the intercooler and outlet from intake manifold/turbo manifold? anyways i know that's very good but was hoping for some more experienced/mechanically inclined advice? please and thank you for your help!

Indeed. The second I realized it was the turbo, I expected the metal to have gotten into the engine. Thankfully, it did not. Five days and 200 miles after the mishap, and everything is fine. Now just wrong got a tune from infamous... :D

• 11 months later...

Did anyone else get a strange noticeably louder and hollow resonating noise during 3rd, 4th and 5th gear acceleration suddenly starting at about 2400rpm and then going away by 2500rpm when their turbo was getting ready to fail?

I guess it is time to pull the DP and check the shaft play as I think it is very suspicious this loudening of the engine noise always occurs when the turbo is kicking in. It still pulls strongly but it seems the mileage is slowly going down and it is starting to burn close to a quart in 3000 miles.

I'm stock and at 90,000 on my 05 LGT wagon but bought used at 61,000 so I dont now the original OCI. I haven't checked the banjo bolts but I have been keeping with the 3000-3750 OCI with the hope of cleaning things out.

Yeah, I guess I should have started a thread. So, anyone encounter a strange hollow sound like I described when their turbo was spooling up? I just added some oil and it is still there. Interestingly, it isnt really there as it is warming up but as soon as there is load at 24-2500 rpm, there is the wooo sound again. I really wasnt budgeting for an aftermarket turbo and supporting mods... I guess I answered my own question though; check the shaft play and banjos take it from there. Anything else I should be checking for? I guess I should put on a catless up at least while I am doing all this.

Same happened to mine. Releaved to find compressor wheel in near perfect shape. Ex. side just tumbling around in there. Mine failed due to starvation from a clogged banjo filter. Subaru denied my warranty claim because I had no maintenance records. Who the hell pays to have their oil changed?!
what did u mean when you said. it felt like i was driving a civic? did u mean the car felt like it was more dependable and it was getting better mpg's?

I did but I didn't write any mileage on the receipts. They pulled my oil pan to check for sludge, found none and oil level was at acceptable level but since I didn't have "service records" they denied it. The guy in the service department asked, "How do I know that all this (oil and filters) was for the car in question?" Then they tried to charge me labor for dropping the oil pan and re-installing once the claim was denied!.. It almost got ugly in the service dept.
what did u mean when you said. it felt like i was driving a civic? did u mean the car felt like it was more dependable and it was getting better mpg's?

I did but I didn't write any mileage on the receipts. They pulled my oil pan to check for sludge, found none and oil level was at acceptable level but since I didn't have "service records" they denied it. The guy in the service department asked, "How do I know that all this (oil and filters) was for the car in question?" Then they tried to charge me labor for dropping the oil pan and re-installing once the claim was denied!.. It almost got ugly in the service dept.

just sign a paper saying its the truth,

if that doesn't work just camp out in front of the dealer for a few days and tell everyone that this dealer thinks that your not allowed to do your own oil changes.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Same happened to mine. Releaved to find compressor wheel in near perfect shape. Ex. side just tumbling around in there. Mine failed due to starvation from a clogged banjo filter. Subaru denied my warranty claim because I had no maintenance records. Who the hell pays to have their oil changed?!

Damn, sounds like I better check it quick. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Major shaft play, btw, could touch the housing. 91,000 miles, bought used, add me to the club. Banjo totally clean.

Then, why did it fail? :confused:. I am assuming you checked the correct banjo bolt filter..

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65157&d=1237512742

Yup, pulled the right side screen. Turbo didnt grenade but it was out of spec. It could probably run for longer but how long I dont know and dont want to risk. I presume the previous owner didnt change the oil regularly enough but then again journal bearings do wear.

Archived