LegacyGT.com

Vf40 fail!!!

So I had this nasty hollow grinding noise and then a sudden loss of power. Figured it had to be the turbo. Took it off the car and found this...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDM_4I5GF4g&feature=feedu]YouTube - Fucked turbo.[/ame]

How the hell does this even happen? Was so hot it melted all the hoses connected to it. But today it was replaced with a new VF52.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where'd you get the 52 for that price?

You guys run/plan to run stock fueling?

I'm not sure yet, my only plans are an oil catch can and exhaust for now. The tune would just be to maximize/smooth out what I have.

I'm on stock fueling right now and I put down 280/300 on a Mustang Dyno. I'm on the stock clutch which limited my tune a bit but the clutch is nearing the end of it's life (105k - 40k at Stage 2) so when I get that replaced I may go with a Pump and Injectors.

so how often should we check and clean the banjo bolts??

There is a small filter/screen within the bolt that most people take out as to avoid clogging and starving the turbo of oil. Once you remove the screen, there shouldn't be any reason to check or clean them.

Would it really have been the turbo's fault if the hoses connected to it were really melted? I mean if those hoses were in tact the turbo would likely be too.

Shortblock survive the pain?

Yep, everything turned out just fine. Car is running better than ever.... :dm:

Do you mean to say that turbos are failing for reasons other than clogged banjo bolts???? Absurd!

The only possible mode of failure for a turbo on a LGT is oil starvation from clogged banjo bolt!

/sarcasm.

yeah, I'd like to reiterate the question above. What killed yours really? Did it self destruct or something else caused it to die? I know it could be hard to tell, but what did you find out?

yeah, I'd like to reiterate the question above. What killed yours really? Did it self destruct or something else caused it to die? I know it could be hard to tell, but what did you find out?

To be completely honest, I think it was just age/mileage. My car was a one-owner from Rhode Island when I bought it with 99,000 miles on it. Owned by a 62 year old college professor, and in bone stock/never modded condition. I never drive this car hard, and do PERFECT maintenence on everything I own. The banjo bolts flowed freely, so the only thing I can think of is age (107,000 miles on it) or coolant problem. The hoses were melted right off, so it's hard to tell which fluids it was or wasn't getting.

Archived