LegacyGT.com

Engine & Tranny interchangable question

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what i remember about the injector wiring is there is a wire color difference between front and rear. i don't know any more than that. but a wiring diagram for your year should tell you.

link to FSM , i haven't used it, i got mine from another site. but this link was just posted this week here.

http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=20753

starting fluid comes in a spray can like spray paint. spray short bursts it into the throttle body when cranking. if it has spark in the correct combination with compression, it will fire. if it does not fire then something else is off.

Given all the cranking I've been doing, I would expect to be smelling gasoline from the exhaust by now. I'm not. It makes me wonder if there's a clog in the fuel lines under the intake manifold. This would explain how I have fuel pressure at the fuel filter and how I have the injectors being commanded to fire but don't smell fuel from the tailpipe.

Given all the cranking I've been doing, I would expect to be smelling gasoline from the exhaust by now. I'm not. It makes me wonder if there's a clog in the fuel lines under the intake manifold. This would explain how I have fuel pressure at the fuel filter and how I have the injectors being commanded to fire but don't smell fuel from the tailpipe.

double check the routing of the fuel lines from the filter to the metal lines on the intake. compare to running 2.2L.

it's easy to get them confused.

Large diameter hose coming off the fuel filter goes to top port on the intake manifold.

Large diameter hose that bypasses the fuel filter goes to the middle port on the intake manifold.

Small hose goes to the lowest port on the intake manifold.

4 stuck injectors. Swapped the injectors from the 2.5L into the 2.2L and it fired up after about 2 seconds of cranking. Has me worried now, though, because it has either a HORRIBLE case of valve tick or a barely audible case of rod knock. Grrrrr.

Glad that the solution was at hand. Even though it has been nerve wracking, I'm sure.

Valve tick is common. Generally quiets after running a while. To eliminate you have to adjust the valves. If you decide to do this,see attachment.

O.

Valve Clearance.pdf

it's HLA, let it idle or just drive it. it will quiet down.

no adjustment needed.

glad you got it figured out.

did you have a CEL?

Currently has a DTC for "Injector #1 open connection". Injector #1 is plugged in and the car isn't misfiring. However, yesterday, I had the wire off of #1 with the car on during testing. I think it probably set the DTC then. The Innova scan tool was unable to clear the DTC/reset the ECU. No idea what's up with that.

my 95 AND my 96 have HLAs. roller rocker came in when the engines went interference in 97. apparently HLAs require less maintenance but roller rockers give you more power. and everything about the engine changes in 97 were for more power.

i have no idea why end wrench said what it did. maybe the asian market got the ''new '' engine a year early. and end wrench may be talking build dates.

but my real world experience is HLAs 90 - 96.

over night should clear it unless there is still a problem.

if it is still there in the morning, maybe put an ohm meter on the injectors and see if #1 is different from the others. then check the harness.

Alright guys. It seems that my 98 Outback is about to throw a rod so it's parked in front of the house until I can get a new engine. It had been knocking since I bought it a few weeks ago, but the other day I had to have it towed home because it started knocking and squeaking loudly before dying, and I couldn't get it to crank after that. I got her to start today but it sounds horrible.

So my question is this: EJ22 swap or JDM EJ20 swap? Not really looking for more power, just looking to get the most reliable engine for my buck, and I'm afraid if I pick one up from a junk yard it will just go up on me again.

Also, anything I would need to know about what year engines I can swap in and such would be appreciated!

Buying a used engine is the same no matter which one it is. You dont know the history so it is a luck game. Your best bet if you dont want to rebuild an engine is a JDM EJ25. They run about $1000 with 30-50k miles on them. You will need to either tap for EGR or use your current heads and intake manifold, this is the easier route.

I refuse to buy a used engine without at least pulling the heads and check everything out. I am kinda anal though lol

Archived