LegacyGT.com

Engine & Tranny interchangable question

i on the other hand have bought 2 ej22s from wrecked cars and swapped them into ej25d cars with no problems. they cost half of the suggested jdm ej25 engines mentioned above. and the swap is easy.

and you don't have to re-do the head gaskets to have a reliable engine. if you plan on keeping the car long term it would be best before you install it to replace all the seals, cam, crank, oil pump, and rear separator plate along with ALL timing components, betl, 4 idlers and water pump. seals are ~$30 from online dealers, and a complete timing belt kit is about $175 from ebay.

so for about $225, with shipping, plus the cost of the engine, $200 - $500, you put your car back on the road. timing belt will be due in another 60k miles.

this is hard to beat. plus you have an engine that is more reliable and will very likely last longer than the ej25.

look for engines: http://www.car-part.com .a ''pull-a-part'' yard will have them cheaper. if you have concerns about buying a dud engine buy one that has a warranty and or the listing says ''ran good''. a friend on another forum says he has bought more than 6 ej22s from salvage yards and has never gotten a dud. i have done 2. it is a very reliable engine.

look for swap info by searching for "ej25 engine swap" in my posts.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will start performing surgery on it this week lol; just gonna start tearing the engine down piece by piece. Maybe something will be salvageable. Either way should be a good way to learn the boxer engine.

Archived