LegacyGT.com

How much would you pay 2006 2.5i legacy with bad engine?

Im looking at a 2006 legacy, I think its a 2.5i. I am new to legacy's but i have 99 impreza rs. The guy sad it has a blown headgasket and the motor seized on him? It has 120k miles, body looks good and everything else looks good. So assuming it needs a new engine how much would be a good price to offer?

in good shape a 06 2.5i should be worth quite a bit more than that. In NY, when I bought my 06 in November bb retail was almost 13k, private party was 9.5

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

If the body and interior are in good shape i would offer $6.5K the Engine rebuild will cost you $2500 plus installation so $3700 on top of that.

If you found a running EJ253 from a wrecked 06+ Non Turbo: Impreza, Forester, OB, or Legacy, then you could offer low and spend less on engine issues and have yourself a nice little DD.

Are you looking to buy, fix and sell? The rebuild on the stock engine isn't that intensive you shouldn't need new pistons BUT if it seized you will probably need bearings and a crank ( I wouldn't machine it) as a new one is under $300 and machined cranks can sometimes be outside the FSM tolerances. The stock oil pump is more than sufficient for wider tolerances but you want this thing to hold up for 200K at least.

Stock bearings, crank,gaskets, rings, clean up the heads, new timing belt and water pump and BAM!

I would want the value after repairs to exceed what I put into the whole deal by at least a couple grand or more to make it worth my time. Otherwise I'd just buy a running car.

Same for me. The hassle of repairing and flipping a car around for a profit isn't worth it to me unless I'm really getting something out of it.

On a side note, did anyone see the American Top Gear episode where they try and "fix" and sell the Sub-$3K cars?

Did you read the part about a bad engine?

Yes, I saw that it had a bad engine. That's why I specified in good condition. If the OP can get it for $3k and has the funds and ability to rebuild or replace the engine then its a steal. Even if the OP has to pay for labor as long as everything else is good they can still make out ahead of the game.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

i would offer $2k and go from there... even if you replace the engine yourself, with a junk-yard engine you would probably come out on the positive end of the deal.

at $3k for the car, you would probably be equal to what a used running 2.5i would cost, so save yourself from the hassle.

if your paying a shop to do the repair then you would most likely be upside down on the deal unless you got the car for free

I did exactly what you are considering for a '98 with 104k miles... it burned a valve and was running on 3 cylinders... I picked up the car for $1000 and did all the work myself, so I can give you a little experience on what you are up against.

I looked in to junkyard engines, usually around $1k for that year, then shipping (about $300)... A junkyard engine is no guarantee either. The are guaranteed for replacement, but you might get a dud or one with similar problems, then what? They'll replace it for free, but you are out of the time you put in to it plus shipping, or worse yet, you are out the money you paid someone else to install it. I decided to do it myself and was lucky enough to have friends with tools like an engine hoist and a wife who was excited to get the car when I was done...

Along the way I bought an air compressor that could run air tools well (about $400) and an impact wrench that did about 800 ft lbs ($200) as I couldn't get the stupid cam gears off any other way, as well as other miscellaneous stuff I didn't have.

I pulled the engine, then pulled the heads and sent them off to be completely refreshed ($400). I then got all new gaskets, seals, and timing belt/water pump, about another $1000 if I remember right... Luckily the bottom end was great on this engine. Put it back together, fired it up, and found the wheel bearing was bad on my test drive. Luckily the same friend had a press and I got out of that for only parts as well. Then a couple more little things like shot brakes... I thought to myself, dang, the transmission could have been bad too and I would have never known it, I got lucky....

My point is, a dead car may and probably will have other problems, you'll never know as you can't test drive a dead car. Factor that in when you look at how much you might *save* and give yourself a HUGE cushion. A dead non-turbo at 120k miles tells me either someone beat the hell out of it or had no clue how to maintain it.

Realistically, unless I were doing the work myself, I would not even consider getting a dead car unless the savings were tremendous. With the potential problems that could arise, if you are paying someone else to do it you are setting yourself up for a lot of potential extra expense and heartache.

run away, then tell me where it is LOL.

unless you are doing the work for yourself, i'd stay away. also if the body is in bad shape i'd stay away. you can probably just refresh the heads, then get a known good short block, or a new short block and put it together yourself. according the subarugenuineparts, a new shortblock is ~2k, so unless you plan on keep the car long term, i'd just get a good used shortblock.

update:

I talked to him today and he wants $2600 he said that's what someone else offered him... I offered him $2k and I thought I was already over paying for the car if he accepted it. He said the oil pressure light did not warn him of his low oil and the motor seized up from the lack of oil.

Im probably not gonna jump on this seeing as how I would probably have to put a good 4-5k into this thing to get it running reliably. There is always hidden costs to this types of deals. im not sure how the trans, diff, brakes, axles, bearing are etc. I don't want to be like 7 grand into this thing and find out it needs this and that.

if anyone wants to look at it heres the craigs ad.

its a legit add i talked to him on the phone today.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/pts/2175545848.html

Archived