LegacyGT.com

iPad capable of open source tuning?

GTride05

An ipad is not a laptop.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Remote control for the TV won't work either.

:)

As for the OP, if you're going to be tuning, you need a windows laptop with windows drivers etc. Preferably with 2 usb ports as you may want to add a wideband o2 sensor at some point. A new netbook will work, but any older windows laptop should have plenty of power. My suggestion is pick up a cheap $50-$100 laptop for tuning only.

I've always used an ancient laptop for 3 reasons:

1) They are cheap.

2) They have a native serial port for WB02 logging (no dongle/adaptor required)

3) I like having a dedicated garage PC for checking email during yardwork breaks, having pics available during installs, etc.

I use a Dell Inspiron 7500. I paid $50 for mine, including shipping. Here is one that is currently at $35, buy it now for $75.

Plus, when you sit it next to your ipad it will make your ipad look that much kewler.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

But there are 2 caveats.

1.Battery power, enough for 1 hr at least

2.Screen size when you are fighting those wide tables

I use a carpc and log to a thumb drive in the cabin. I do most of my tuning in the house a on 20" screen which makes it a lot easier. I can make tweaks with the car pc, but it's much nicer running multiple Excel sheets, and Ecuflash or Romraider with a real computer.

I've always used an ancient laptop for 3 reasons:

1) They are cheap.

2) They have a native serial port for WB02 logging (no dongle/adaptor required)

3) I like having a dedicated garage PC for checking email during yardwork breaks, having pics available during installs, etc.

I use a Dell Inspiron 7500. I paid $50 for mine, including shipping. Here is one that is currently at $35, buy it now for $75.

Plus, when you sit it next to your ipad it will make your ipad look that much kewler.

Agreed also on Legends point. If you can find something with a native serial port it will save you a step and a driver install for a serial to usb device. Also if this cheap laptop gets stolen from the car or beat up from automotive use it's not going to be a big deal.

Thank you to the people that kno what there doing. I appriciate the help and adding facts. The other smart asses I would appriciate it if u would not comment if u don't have anything helpful to say. That is why this forum is here. Thank you.

Well I gave in and purchased a used Cobb AP I was trying to avoid spending so much but after weighing out all that was needed I.figure this will be the most benifiting route for me.

I use a carpc and log to a thumb drive in the cabin. I do most of my tuning in the house a on 20" screen which makes it a lot easier. I can make tweaks with the car pc, but it's much nicer running multiple Excel sheets, and Ecuflash or Romraider with a real computer.

No doubt that you got the nicest logging/tuning setup. It doesn't get much better than that.

OP, you could have bought a laptop for less than the AP. Nothing wrong with the AP but don't you want to tune OS? So now you are over $1k in an ipad and AP and still can't tune OS. More power to you... it's your cash.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

I never purchased an iPad nor did I mentioned I was going to buy one. Girl friend has one and just wanted to kno if I could make it useful for myself. So I've only purchased a cobb access port and it is used so I am getting better deal.

As I said I just weighed out how much I would end up spending and I've always wanted an AP just didn't wnna spend over $500 but then I coicedered used and liked the price I found so took it.

I never purchased an iPad nor did I mentioned I was going to buy one. Girl friend has one and just wanted to kno if I could make it useful for myself. So I've only purchased a cobb access port and it is used so I am getting better deal.

As I said I just weighed out how much I would end up spending and I've always wanted an AP just didn't wnna spend over $500 but then I coicedered used and liked the price I found so took it.

You are much better off with the AP or buying yourself a laptop. There are a LOT of threads on here with people trying to do things for the absolute minimum, which I understand, but when it comes to something you've paid thousands of dollars for, some things are worth the expense. I think sometimes going the cheapest route can wind up costing the most in the end. The AP will save you time and headaches...now pony up another $150 and get that bitch tuned properly!:icon_chee

I do plan on getting the infamous tune but I am going to hold off until I get an after market CBE. Don't want to end up spending $150 twice.

Infamous does retunes for $75 as long as you're not adding too many new parts. If it's going to be a while before you get the CBE I recommend getting the tune now. It'll blow your mind how much smoother an Infamaous custom tune is over the off the shelf COBB tunes.

Cheers!

The AP will save you time and headaches...now pony up another $150 and get that bitch tuned properly!:icon_chee

This is utter misinformation. An Accessport is not the only proper tuning solution and in most instances it has no advantages over open source. And certainly price is not one of them. It is a mostly useless hardware (definitely true of the first gen) which serves well only one purpose: to transfer engine setups. A gen. 2 AP is more useful but it will be vastly more expensive and our friend that likes inferior computers (Apple) will not like that.

Archived