LegacyGT.com

iPad capable of open source tuning?

GTride05

The only advantage of the AP over open source is the idea that you can change maps with a handheld unit instead of pulling out a laptop. Nothing is easier than the UTEC with a map-switch though.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

This is utter misinformation. An Accessport is not the only proper tuning solution and in most instances it has no advantages over open source. And certainly price is not one of them. It is a mostly useless hardware (definitely true of the first gen) which serves well only one purpose: to transfer engine setups. A gen. 2 AP is more useful but it will be vastly more expensive and our friend that likes inferior computers (Apple) will not like that.

Just fyi, but I think you should reread my post.....I wasn't saying the AP is the only way to go, I said getting the AP "OR" a laptop was the way to go (I was implying opensource, perhaps I should have specified). My car has an infamous stage 2 opensource tune on it so I would certainly not be saying the AP is the only way to go. I think ecuflash, romraider, and Learning view are great. The OP already bought the AP so my comments were just confirming he made a better choice after the fact. No offense to the OP but it didn't sound like he was overly computer savy, didn't have a laptop, and trying to use an ipad to tune his car, so yes, compared to that he made a great choice in going with the AP.

He also mentioned borrowing a laptop, I don't think that is a good route to go, especially if he runs into issues like getting the software up and running, and dealing with any issues which could result in having the laptop longer than the loaning party would like.

For some people, the AP absolutely is the best way to go.

And that's 100% for sure? Been tested?

I did a lot of homework on whether you could log with the ipad after my wife bought me one for Christmas. I had never wanted an ipad at the time so I was trying to find a good use for it. Anyway the answer is no you can't log with it. There is an available usb adapter but no one has developed a way for it to be used with something like romraider, and the LC-1. Not to sound ungrateful, but I wish that she would have just listened to me and bought me the sways + endlinks I wanted instead. Oh well...

• 1 year later...

I wish you could log with the iPad, it would be nice to pull a learning view quick vs booting up the laptop. I know it's not a long time to boot and open learning view, but it's annoying.

You wouldn't need a USB port, Kiwi wifi works with iOS. I have the OBD2-bluetooth version for my droid (present from the wife) and it works well.

http://www.plxdevices.com/product_info.php?id=GSSTWIFI

Our iPad can also be used as TV remote, stereo remote, and it opens our garage door via remote. I never use it for those things though... :)

Archived