LegacyGT.com

Ice vs Wipers. Wipers FAIL

So I searched first and nothing was quite like my issue.

I live in Crystal City VA (Arlington) it got cold last night same as every other night recently. So I get in my car to depart for the office and I notice some haze on my windshield so naturally I proceed to push the sprayer and clean the haze. Well the passenger wiper functions as normal the driver side stays put and hesitates. I did not realize it was frozen to the glass.

So i stop the wipers get out free the wiper and try again and now the driver side wiper doesn't travel the full range of motion like the passenger side :confused:

My Question is:

Has the driver side wiper "jumped" out of phase from the passenger side?

I imagine there are splines and maybe the motor striped the wiper housing and is only grabbing the few teeth that are left hence the diminished range of travel????

Would taking the wiper off and repositioning it work ??

:spin:

take the wiper off 14mm nut probably and reposition it. make sure the wipers are not stuck to the windshield before using them. They are not ment for snow/ice removal.

So my theory is right i "should" be able reposition the blade on the output shaft of the wiper motor???? (please say yes:lol:_)

Unstick them from the windshield before using them :rolleyes:

yep,use your defogger to warm the inside of the car AND the windshield before you even think about turning on the wipers.:rolleyes:

Did the OP and some others all grow up in Florida and have moved to colder climates recently?

yep,use your defogger to warm the inside of the car AND the windshield before you even think about turning on the wipers.:rolleyes:

Did the OP and some others all grow up in Florida and have moved to colder climates recently?

NO I grew up in Otterville Va near Buchanan in the blue ridge Mtns cold weather is not new, and Ive owned this car for 3 years through many ice storms so i know not to use the wipers with ice on the glass. I always defrost/scrape before using them.

Does your car come standard with the wiper de-icer? I use it all the time when it's cold out. We've been getting freezing rain and 6-8" of snow weekly here in PA. I never leave my wipers up at night. I just warm the car up with the defrosters on and the wiper de-icer. Haven't had any problems, not so much as the wiper skipping across the windshield.

This happened on my GTi years back (yeeeeaaaaarrrrrrsssss). I doubt you stripped the splines. I removed the entire arm and then put it back on and retightened. Good as new. It was designed to "give" by letting a screw pop loose if frozen to the windshield. I'd be surprised if technology has leapt backwards since the 80s.

Does your car come standard with the wiper de-icer? I use it all the time when it's cold out. We've been getting freezing rain and 6-8" of snow weekly here in PA. I never leave my wipers up at night. I just warm the car up with the defrosters on and the wiper de-icer. Haven't had any problems, not so much as the wiper skipping across the windshield.

Don't know if it is standard, but i got it, when my windshield busted they replaced it with the same glass as before, so I would assume it would be standard on the LGT's.

habitual derail-er

Always scrape the windshield, and all windows before driving. Also sweep the snow from the car.

Nothing pisses me off more than driving behind someone who is too lazy to clear the rear window and roof.

Yes, it's nice to others, but you'll miss out on the experience of driving like you're in a tank.

this is why i always check my blades but also i love having the lower windshield de-icer built in. also the pre ice treatment from i believe prestone works wonders spray windows at night, wake up to frost free glass. worked in platsburgh ny while at school. many single digit days.

Hey OP, lift the cap over the pivet point on the wiper arm. Undo the bolt. Then retighten it. It's NOT ROCKET SCIENCE. If that doesn't work, go to an autoparts store and they'll tell you how tofix it.

Of course it isn't rocket science! I fixed it simply by clocking it at the right angle and tightening the 14mm nut back down to 1/2 tun past hand tight:)

obnoxious?

its better than your wiper freezing to the window and tearing on you as it froze and you tried to lift it.

Before I took a rock to the window on the highway, I had a nice curved scrape from a tear in the wiper as the lead edge tore off and gouged out a nice line from A-pillar to rest position of the wiper.

being obnoxious and looking like a fool is better than ruining your wipers/window

Function is ALWAYS greater than form

-Travis

Rob (rao) you're a fine gentleman, thanks I guess.

Archived