LegacyGT.com

Just when i thought my luck couldnt get any worse!

Find a day job. Take classes at night. FDU does night classes for working professionals. It's what I did to finish up my degree.

You don't want to just take out loans. They really add up and should be a last resort. You have to pay them back eventually plus interest. You never know what the job market will be like when you graduate. You don't want to be stuck working at McDonald's with student loan payments.

Unless your parents are giving you a lot of money for school, file a FAFSA. However, you most likely won't qualify for much (if any) grant money if your parents still claim you as a dependent.

BTW...How did you manage an athletic scholarship from a D3 school?

@ RJS5689, I was studying at roger williams in rhode island, criminal justice and psychology degrees. The only other problem with me trying to finish school somewhere else is that my school is holding my transcripts until i pay them the $3000 i owe them as well. So im kinda stuck right now. Im trying to become a state trooper here in NJ. But at the moment, ill take any police job!

@Stoplightassassin, my wrestling coach was athletic director and really pulled some strings, they gave me an academic scholarship, but if i didnt wrestle, i didnt stay. You are 100% correct though, D3 doesnt give athletic scholarships which i think is stupid. So when i got hurt and couldnt continue, he basically had no use for me.

Hm... well the $3000 for the transcripts certainly comes first. If wrestling is your only focus you'll have fewer options (but hey, Home Depot will take you).

Hope you can hold out to be a state trooper, though I'm sure a criminal justice degree would go a hell of a long way. I did as StopLightAssassin -- worked a day job to finish college. Then found another job that paid for my masters, and 3 years later I'm still surprised how fast things have changed. I guess what I'm saying is if you see a lucky opportunity, grab it fast!

I actually have a good job right now, but its doesnt pay that well, im not going to say what company i work for, but i drive an armored truck. Only get paid like $12.20 an hour until i get my firearm in 2 months, then i make a little more. But i do work anywhere from 45-55 hours a week, so classes are sometimes hard to fit in. Im just going to have to stick it out for now.

BTW I should note that I had to quit / switch jobs in order to make time to finish school. Made all the difference. Man I remember stressing out about that choice. If your job isn't giving you the time to get to class, QUIT.

I have to agree with shutterbc on that point. I work at a bank, so I know what type of work you do working on an armored truck freezing cold in winter, burning up in summer, lugging HEAVY bags and boxes of coins. Although I am sure the pay is descent for now, factor in the long term. How far can you truly get with the company without a degree. Granted those above you may not have them, but new people coming in at your age most likely will, unfortunately that will give them an edge up.

I have a degree in engineering and an MBA, I sure thought I would be at a different point in my life and definitely at a different pay scale, but life decisions and my desire to limit my geographical location has me stuck a little, nonetheless, I know that when I want to move up, the only thing that can possibly hold me back is my own quality of work, not a degree.

I wish you the best, whatever path you may choose, just don't discount the value of a degree, even if you have to get it 3hrs at a time.

Archived