LegacyGT.com

HELP! - Big Transmission Problem

Subaru's tech for clutch replacement says you shouldn't resurface the dual mass, the tech you talked to this time was right... when Subie of Glendale just resurfaced your dual mass they were not doing you a favor...

You'd be crazy not to get a new flywheel... just get an 06+ WRX clutch and flywheel and call it a day...

• 1 month later...

Ok. So I ordered OEM clutch kit from Fred Beans online.

Be warned I meant to order the dual-mass flywheel but the website is not very clear and they sent me the single-mass kit (commonly referred to as the WRX clutch kit) and I didn't realize this until the parts arrived at the mechanic and they

According to Fred Beans, from 07 on Subaru switched to the single-mass in the Legacy

The Subaru Independent never have installed this before and were reluctant. Fred Beans customer service offered to talk them through it but they weren't interested.

Bottom Line:

* Single-mass flywheel is 15 lbs lighter

* It's $2-300 cheaper

* It works

* The pedal feels a bit lighter (not a big deal personally)

I'd do it again.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm getting the "whirling" noise when starting up my car in the morning once in a while.

It sounds terrible (like metal on metal) and lasts for less than a second before disappearing.

I've read on other posts that people think it has something to do when the weather drops below a certain point.

Any one check this out with a mechanic?

Any chance this is related to a clutch change? I never heard this noise before I had my clutch swapped out.

It's the starter. Mine lasted a few years makeing that sound. I finally had it repleced last month when it began not to turn over on the first try when I turned the key.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...
I'm getting the "whirling" noise when starting up my car in the morning once in a while.

It sounds terrible (like metal on metal) and lasts for less than a second before disappearing.

I've read on other posts that people think it has something to do when the weather drops below a certain point.

Any one check this out with a mechanic?

Any chance this is related to a clutch change? I never heard this noise before I had my clutch swapped out.

Did you end up replacing the TOB at the same time? It was the culprit in my case, similar symptoms. There are plenty of threads on this forum about this, the general consensus here is that Legacy TOB is POS.

• 2 years later...

Archived