LegacyGT.com

Rebuilt Turbo from BNR

Has anyone run one of these before? My turbo just went out on the highway and I was thinking of potential swap candidates. They are $325 with a 1 year warranty but have heard little discussion about them.

The other option is their EVO16g/TD05 which is a little bit more of a price jump at $725 but seems like the safer bet. I am weary of buying a used VF40 because there are currently no low-mileage ones for sale here or on NASIOC.

What are the other direct bolt-in turbos? I have heard talk of the VF39 and VF46 working, but there are so many different model years that I am easily overwhelmed.

Any information would be appreciated!

Thanks for the quick responses! I just read through all of the BNR topics through the search function. There was some good information there for sure!

I believe the VF52 would require some supporting mods and a tune, my funds won't let this happen quite yet. I would love a turbo that require zero tuning, which would be the VF40, VF46, or 16G from what I understand.

The only bit of information that I did not find was about the rebuilt VF40s from BNR. It seems like everyone just goes for the 16G and never goes stock rebuilt. I plan on doing a lot of preventative oil stuff (banjo filters, Killerb oil pickup, new lines) so I would hope the turbo would last a while after doing those things. I think I will give BNR a call on Monday, but I would still love to hear anybody's experiences with the rebuilt stock VF40. TIA!

check out http://www.tuningalliance.com look up the HTA68 on Mikes site. He has tuned my car and I'll be using that turbo when it comes time. He's in W.Springfield MA.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I just found an '08 stock turbo from a WRX, will this be a direct bolt on?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2115089

Yes, it's a direct bolt on as long as you have the coolant pipes with it.

Pros:

100% bolt-up

Any power level the stock turbo can manage, the TD04 can match

MHI reliability

Cons:

Will need a slight tweak to your tune to work correctly.

If you have access to a cable and laptop you can graft the WRX wastegate control and turbo dynamics tables into your LGT map. Simple solution if you have the means.

A 16G btw needs a tune, so the only guaranteed 100% pnp turbos are the VF-40 and VF-46. Evo16G has been done by so many it's almost an OTS map from regular Legacy tuners. You can run the 16G with stock fuel system and still see 300whp. Minimum mods are gutted up and downpipes. Gut the pipes, install the turbo and go onto your e-tune. Simple.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Archived