LegacyGT.com

Legacy Subie Noobie

I am looking for my second Subaru. I had a 2008 Tribeca, bought new, and had major oil consumption problems. It ate 1 qt every 1000 miles, and the dealer said it was normal. Yeah, right. That car is gone. I am looking at a 2.5 Legacy, non turbo, auto trans (year 2003-2008) or so. Do the 2.5 Legacy's have oil consumption problems like the 3.6 in the Tribeca? Is it a trait of a flat engine to eat oil?

Also, what other issues can I expect from a Legacy? I have read about wheel bearings, headlights burning out frequently, and CV boots dying early from the exhaust. Is there more stuff I should know about?

Thanks!

I'm not a long time owner, but I did just replace a wheel bearing on my 06 legacy with 82k. As far as oil consumption goes, vie only had my 06 for about 1.5k and haven't had to add any oil aside from only putting 4qt in when I changed the oil instead of 4.2, so I had to top it off but that's it. I've been checking every few hundred miles. My 98 with 215k doesn't use oil.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I have a '06 2.5i

No oil consumption issues

Only issue I had was a faulty heater core (you can look it up by VIN)

Other than that the "normal operating" climate control, specifically as it pertains to the defrost/foot setting sucks balls. Oh and no aux input on the stock head unit.

Aside from that the car is fine.

I've had two Subarus, a '98 Impreza and my '05 LGT. On both cars, if I used synthetic (likely a thinner oil than usual) they would drink a little bit of oil. Your Tribeca's situation sounds a bit on the high side (but for better or worse, JUST within most manufacturer thresholds) to me.

Oil usage in a Subaru...what are you nut's Why that never happens. Any stealership sales person will tell you that.

Yes a lot of us have engines that enjoy a sip of oil to keep it topped off. I check mine twice a week and top off as needed.

Still rock'in the orginal wheel bearings and only had to replace the left front axle because the outter boot split.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I should may be add, a few us have abused our engines...But until you know your engine. Check the oil twice a week.

Do you know the correct way to check the oil in these cars ? It's not that simple.

Pull the dip stick out about a inch or two. Walk away from the car for at least 20 minutes, I'll go 8 hours while at work. Then wipe the stick and check the oil.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for the insight. The oil consumption our Tribeca had made me a little gunshy about flat engines. I have found out that Subaru now has a kit for the dealer to retrofit the engines in the Tribeca that is supposed to cure the oil consumption.

I've had multiple Subies and most of them drank very little oil (including a 6 clyd SVX). My current LGT uses 1/2 to 1 Q every 4 k with Shell Rotella syn oil . Many on this board use it with very favorable oil consumption rates.

74k here, ZERO oil consumption in my turbo LGT. Original wheel bearings, no major mechanical problems at all. I bought mine new and have driven it moderately with the occaisionally back road thrashing.

I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about an N/A Legacy Auto intended for daily driving giving any problems, just understand they are not performance beasts, so don't expect a lot of power, just a little pep :lol:

'07+ have factory AUX in too :D

I have an '06 LGT and my wife drives an '06 Impreza 2.5i.......owned them both from new....oil changes every 5000km (3000 mi)...they NEVER need oil between changes.

Exact same situation with my 2007 non-turbo. Oil changes with Pennzoil Platinum and a Quaker State filter (manufactured by Purolator).

We have 07 Tribeca, bought it new. No oil consumption whatsoever. I'd be very interested to hear dealer's explanation as to why any oil consumption on a NA engine is considered normal.

On the other hand, my 05 LGT sips some oil especially when I give it some gas. With turbo engines this is considered rather normal.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Archived