LegacyGT.com

Crank and rods from EJ22E fit in EJ25?

2.5L n/a in 97 outback automatic AWD has blown head gasket and now knocks. Talked to a subaru mechanic, he said if its knocking, that means the crank is most likely gonna have to be turned or replaced. I have a 1990 Legacy wagon 5 speed FWD with EJ22E. can i use the crank from my ej22e in the ej25? What about rods? i dont know if they are damaged or not in the 2.5. I know the pistons are a no go since they are different size. trying to get an idea how i can fix this outback using the parts i have. How about using the 2.5 heads on my ej22e, along with the intake manifold from the 2.5 on the 2.2, that way it will have plug ins for the OBDII system. Will the flywheel from the 2.5 work on the 2.2? thanks

• I Donated

No you can't take out the EJ22 crank and put it in your EJ25. Buy a new one.

Not to mention. You ask a question about if your EJ22 will work in the 97 outback. I tell you no because the EJ22 isn't an OBDII engine.....

So you make a new thread asking if you can swap parts to make it OBDII........

Come on man. Stop posting dozens of threads about the same thing.

Your question has already been answered in another one of your threads about this same topic. http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3218670&postcount=13

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

No you can't take out the EJ22 crank and put it in your EJ25. Buy a new one.

Not to mention. You ask a question about if your EJ22 will work in the 97 outback. I tell you no because the EJ22 isn't an OBDII engine.....

So you make a new thread asking if you can swap parts to make it OBDII........

Come on man. Stop posting dozens of threads about the same thing.

Your question has already been answered in another one of your threads about this same topic. http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3218670&postcount=13

i talked to a subaru mechanic who HAS successfully put a EJ22E from a first gen legacy in a 96 outback. He used 2.5L heads on the ej22 block, used the intake manifold from the 2.5L on the 2.2L so that the OBDI connectors. He explained more but i cant remember everything

• I Donated

The crank will probably fit....but its not a very good idea to take a used crank out of one engine and put it into another one. All the parts have to "wear in" to each other. If you get rod bearings mixed up in the process, you will develop a knock shortly after you put it back together.

Buy a new crank

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

The crank will probably fit....but its not a very good idea to take a used crank out of one engine and put it into another one. All the parts have to "wear in" to each other. If you get rod bearings mixed up in the process, you will develop a knock shortly after you put it back together.

Buy a new crank

i was gonna buy new rod bearings. run the EJ22 crank. Buying a new crank is not an option. Or even better idea, will the EJ22 rods work with the EJ25 pistons? i could use the crank and rods from the EJ22 in the ej25, and use the ej25 pistons. Isnt the stroke on the 2 motors the same, but different bore?

• I Donated

Mixing cranks and bearings is never a good idea. Too many things play a factor such as crankshaft and bearing wear, and that happens when you start the car. So your 100K mile car that has been started several thousand times is going to have some crankshaft wear on it.

If you want to do it the right way and not have to worry about doing the job over again shortly after because you decided to go the cheap crappy way....buy the following

EJ25D Crankshaft - $240.95

EJ25D Rod Bearings - $83.94

EJ25D Master Gasket Set - $107.54

EJ25D Timing Belt & Water Pump - $75.95

EJ25D Timing Tensioner & Pulley Kit - $269.99

EJ25D Head Bolt Set - $67.99

Total - $846.36

These prices include shipping for the ebay items. I did not include random things needed like hose clamps, chemicals, specialty tools, etc...

Internal engine work is NEVER cheap. Internal engine work is not something that you can half ass. I understand you're trying to save money, but you're kinda digging into a project here thats going to cost you an arm and a leg.....and something that you don't seem to have the knowledge or skill to properly do.

My honest advise to you is if you don't have the money to do it right (or if you don't want to do it right), then sell the cars as they sit and buy something that runs right. Or you can just buy a junkyard engine that runs for cheaper then fixing your current engines

I guess my point is that you can't slap together a bunch of used parts (with lots of miles on them) for internal engine stuff. Yeah, you may get it to run afterwards, but its not going to be reliable and chances are that its going to have major problems shortly after you do the work.

DO IT RIGHT

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

He used 2.5L heads on the ej22 block

I've done this to a P2 22E. I took EVERYTHING off of the Outback engine I had gotten & bolted it all on the 22E block, except I had gotten new seals (every seal you can think of), timing belt, tensioner, water pump, thermostat, that coolant cross thing under the intake manifold, everything. The car did not throw a check engine light. It ran good & smooth. The ONLY thing that's gonna' get you is that putting Outback heads on a 22E will be a slight drop the compression.

I had to get a thinner gasket & different pistons to make up the compression difference (I ended up with 9.5 to 1 in the end). If I used the 25D rods, it would have helped, since they have more stroke than the 22E rods do. I didn't have much time to be messing around like that but I learned quite a bit about the 25D & 22E. If you put your Outback heads/parts on that 22E, you should run it on the 25D ecu. I did. It ran well.

Btw, whatever you do with any of those engines, always use the gasket that goes to that specific block to seal the cylinders/bores.

If you swap a 22E in, it has to be OBD2 specific (96-01<-Imprezas use 22Es in this year). It will plug right in. There are many Outbacks where I'm from that have 22Es in them because they're cheap, they're reliable, they bolt right in, & they're everywhere.

Mixing cranks and bearings is never a good idea. Too many things play a factor such as crankshaft and bearing wear, and that happens when you start the car. So your 100K mile car that has been started several thousand times is going to have some crankshaft wear on it.

If you want to do it the right way and not have to worry about doing the job over again shortly after because you decided to go the cheap crappy way....buy the following

EJ25D Crankshaft - $240.95

EJ25D Rod Bearings - $83.94

EJ25D Master Gasket Set - $107.54

EJ25D Timing Belt & Water Pump - $75.95

EJ25D Timing Tensioner & Pulley Kit - $269.99

EJ25D Head Bolt Set - $67.99

Total - $846.36

These prices include shipping for the ebay items. I did not include random things needed like hose clamps, chemicals, specialty tools, etc...

Internal engine work is NEVER cheap. Internal engine work is not something that you can half ass. I understand you're trying to save money, but you're kinda digging into a project here thats going to cost you an arm and a leg.....and something that you don't seem to have the knowledge or skill to properly do.

My honest advise to you is if you don't have the money to do it right (or if you don't want to do it right), then sell the cars as they sit and buy something that runs right. Or you can just buy a junkyard engine that runs for cheaper then fixing your current engines

I guess my point is that you can't slap together a bunch of used parts (with lots of miles on them) for internal engine stuff. Yeah, you may get it to run afterwards, but its not going to be reliable and chances are that its going to have major problems shortly after you do the work.

DO IT RIGHT

one question, why would i need to buy new head bolts when replacing head gasket?

• I Donated
one question, why would i need to buy new head bolts when replacing head gasket?

In other words they stretch when you use them so they are not reusable. Most head bolts now days are like that. The days when you can re-use head bolts are long gone.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

In other words they stretch when you use them so they are not reusable. Most head bolts now days are like that. The days when you can re-use head bolts are long gone.

Depends on how long they have been in use.

Rebuilt my ej253 and had to go back in because of my stupidity.

Believe me I was not going to buy another two sets of head bolts for an engine that had zero additional miles on it.

The head bolts only come in sets of 6,so you need 2 sets.

O.

Depends on how long they have been in use.

Rebuilt my ej253 and had to go back in because of my stupidity.

Believe me I was not going to buy another two sets of head bolts for an engine that had zero additional miles on it.

The head bolts only come in sets of 6,so you need 2 sets.

O.

250k miles on the ej22 and 180k on the outback motor.

Archived