LegacyGT.com

This has been bothering me since i bought my car 2 years ago, finally about to do something about it.

Once my engine is warmed up, i start hearing ticks.

Normally one would hear these ticks after a car shuts down, and only for a few minutes.

Mine ticks constantly and it's hella annoying.

I went to subaru about it and they told me it was "normal"... I was told that some water/fluid is dripping onto the exhaust and or heat-shield and that is the ticking I'm hearing.....

Anyone else experience this?

I make T-Shirts! and I Detail Cars(I'll go to you!) Send me a PM!!

This has been bothering me since i bought my car 2 years ago, finally about to do something about it.

Once my engine is warmed up, i start hearing ticks.

Normally one would hear these ticks after a car shuts down, and only for a few minutes.

Mine ticks constantly and it's hella annoying.

I went to subaru about it and they told me it was "normal"... I was told that some water/fluid is dripping onto the exhaust and or heat-shield and that is the ticking I'm hearing.....

Anyone else experience this?

I only get the ticking sound after my car is off and I was also told by the dealer that is was "normal"

THIS IS NORMAL!!!! Your catalyst and the heat shielding around your cat heats and expands once it is warmed up, as you drive the cooler air and the decreased amount of gasses flowing thru it at stand still cause it to CONTRACT this CONTRACTION produces TICKS it is 100 percent NORMAL the only way to lessen it would be to remove the heat shield.

This happens in many other vehicles next time you ride with a person not in a Subaru and they drive it hard or in hot weather and they stop and turn the car off listen you will hear the occasional tick or ping

EXPANSION and CONTRACTION this is your answer and it IS NORMAL!

This is known as the Subaru Tick by many people. I have yet to hear it on my current Legacy. However on my old Loyale I heard it all the time. Seemed to tick more with acceleration. All dealers I have asked said it is normal, but these are also the same people that say if I change my wheels/tire combo, keeping the same overall dimensions the same, I will cause damage to the diffs.

Does this tick get worse or better in winter/summer? I've only had my 2.5i for a little over a month now and every time I'm sitting in a drive-thru listening to that tick tick tick from my car resonating off the wall with my window down I think "I gotta get this into the dealer to get looked at. This is embarrassing." I understand the popping of the exhaust as it cools down once I park the car, my motorcycles have always done this, but once every thing gets warmed up shouldn't this tick tick tick stop?

Will this get better in the summer? I have yet to own the car in temps over 40F.

Funny that someone's talking about that cause I get that too but it's not coming from the back of the car. It seems to be from the valves and only after it's warmed up (highway trips). I don't hear it while driving but when I stop at a light, it's when you notice(gotta have heat and music turned off). I'm about to bring it to the dealer..

Archived