LegacyGT.com

2.5i Rear Differential Fluid Change Tutorial!!

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007L6Q1EK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B007L6Q1EK&linkCode=as2&tag=ft5-20]Amazon.com: Subaru 75W90 Extra-S Gear & Transmission Fluid - Quart Bottles, K0322AA095: Automotive[/ame]

Got my order today. Shipping and packaging were excellent.

Still waiting on the Torx bit.

• 3 months later...

So after a few months of sitting on this project, I was able to find time to get it done today.

Seriously that fill plug takes Hulk-like strength even with PB Blaster and some heat. I had to use a jack to get it loose.

Using the hole under the spare tire made filling super easy. Thanks again for a great writeup!

• 3 weeks later...

I did the rear diff on my 09 iSE last week, it had yet another type of plugs. 10 mm allen on the rear cover. They allen keys for my socket set were too long and ran into the sub-frame. I ended up cutting down a cheap allen to fit. The fluid looked pretty dark (38k on it) but seemed about as thick as the new. I used M1 75-90 LS in it, as that worked pretty well in the old Outback. I know it's listed for limited slip, but also claims compatibility with open diffs. If I get a warm day, I'll tackle the front. It's an auto, so I'm not worried about sychros and such.

Are the t70 plugs in there as tight as the rear plugs ?

• 5 months later...

I did this the other day and as I was tightening it, I heard a crack.. too much force :(

I filled it up and there was no leaks but I i checked below today and it's sweating slowly out of the drain plug.

How much work is it to replace the cover? I see the bolts on the bottom, but what about the top? Do I have to remove anything else or can I get to it from inside the wheel well? Does it come with a gasket as well or do I have to make one?

This sucks :(

• 3 years later...

Archived