LegacyGT.com

4th Gen Winter MPG Thread

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you get in the upper thirties? highest I've gotten on a trip is 32

Sure do. On cruise control, going about 70-72, I am consistantly getting 36-38MPG, not including going up and down hills.

Next time I am on the highway for a decent period of time I'll take a quick video.

Data from the Great White North:

I warm my car up for ~5 minutes each morning, which recently has meant roughly 5 degrees (Fahrenheit). I then drive one mile to the highway, spend 30 miles on the highway, drive one mile from the exit ramp to work, and then reverse that for the drive home. Average fuel economy in the summer was 26.5 mpg; average fuel economy in the winter thus far is 22.3 mpg.

Can anyone quote the urban legend/fireside tale about how waxing and washing your car improves fuel economy by X mpg due to coefficients of friction and blah blah blah with an actual study reference? I've heard this many times; something to the effect that washing and waxing your car will improve your eco by 2 mpg or whatever.

The only reason I bring this up is because I was thinking about it this morning while removing the fenderbergs from my ride.

do you calculate this mpg per tank? or are you talking about instant? instant doesn't really mean much. I think most of us calculate per tank. I've only gotten an actual calculated 30 mpg once in the life of my car so far.

Yes - I am talking about instant, isn't that the point of the MPG gauge?

So you're calculating an average MPG per tank. I will do that the next time I fill up. Fuelly will calculate it for me.

instant can be 99.9 mpg, i just go down a hill and let off the gas. =]

but yeh. instant really doesn't give us much information. frankly, i wouldn't trust half of what that little gauge in the car tells you. I find it off by 1-2 mpg when i use the average. I think most of the legacy owners that are coming from high economy cars complain because they can only get 17-22 mpg per tank/. which equates to < 300 miles per tank. it def. hurts. my dad's sonata gets 400-500 miles per tank. sigh.

Alright thanks.

Good point! That's why I am going to use Fuelly and keep track of the average MPG, miles driven / gallons used. You're right, for a car with a 16.9 gal tank - I am only getting around 300 miles. I have yet to fully fill up my car. Next week I start working so I will have a regular schedule and will keep an eye on it.

500 miles per tank? Is that with both highway and city driving?

• I Donated

Instant is totally useless for figuring out actual MPG. The only thing it's good for is telling you which driving habits increase overall MPG. I reset one trip odometer every time I fill up, and the other has the miles I've driven since I got the car (a bit more than 4000 mi at this point). I've noticed when I actually take out a calculator and do the math on a fill-up, the trip odometer MPG is about 1 mpg higher than the actual miles driven divided by gallons added to the tank. With that said, it is still useful to let you know approximately what your mileage is per tank, and I usually don't do the calculations, I just take the trip MPG and subtract 1.

Case in point: I took my first ever long-distance road trip today (Baltimore to Boston -- about 450-500 mi). The second tank was all highway, and the trip MPG was 26.1 mpg. I calculated it out, and the actual MPG was 24.8.

(BTW, the MPG on the second trip odometer -- the "miles since I got the car" one -- is 18.6.)

500 miles per tank? Is that with both highway and city driving?

well his 500 miles per tank is mixed for him, maybe 450, i overexaggerated a bit, but still. my mixed I still only get about 300 miles if even on my tank. =[

on 100% highway, i can squeeze 400 out of my tank. and thats almost driving on fumes. -_-

Well on the Wild and Wonderful hills of West Virginia I am getting 21 average for the winter thus far. Depending on my driving it can go up to 24 but that is a rarity. 300 Miles on a tank seems to be all I can get out of this thing until I take it out of the state.

Sounds the the H6 is getting similar mileage compared to some of the GTs and 2.5i's? Not bad.

Since gas stations around here apparently don't like 91 I mix between 89 and 93 at wither Shell, BP or Exxon depending on the price fluctuation.

I took a little weekend roadtrip from Milwaukee to St Louis this weekend, which was a little over 900 total miles. On the way down there I got about 22mpg with lots of stopping and highway bombing, but the way back I did the speed limit the entire time and got 25-26mpg. Up in Wisconsin I fill up using 93 octane but in Missouri I only found 91 octane, which got me wondering which one should we be using?

93 is better. Are you still stock ? If so 91 is fine. But 93 is still better even if your still stock. Here in the NE all we have is 93 at 99% of the stations.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I've heard nothing but good things about doing a AP stage 1. Mostly is that MPG goes up a point or two as our cars are grossly overfueled to protect themselves.

I don't buy the wax the car and it will get better mileage. Add a lip or drop the car and it would get better, increase the air pressure in the tires and it will get better, fold the mirrors in, turn the car off at red lights, etc are all things that can help.

Typically with "winter" fuels the mpg will drop a point or two, major changes in fuel mileage are also signs of problems in the car, O2 sensor, MAF, plugs, etc.

I've been getting 22 mpg's with the majority being highway driving lately. Just made a trip from the NE Ohio area to Holiday Valley and logged 22.3. I thought I had something wrong but after reading this thread, it sounds like winter gas and cold weather is the culprit.

During my next trip to Holiday Valley I'll have the roof rack on which will drop my MPG's to the high teens :spin:

I am almost completely unmodded and noticed a severe dip in mileage as well.

Summer I get 23-24 MPG. Winter 19-20. Makes sense, you have to adjust the Reid vapor pressure which will have a negative effect on the energy content, it just seems a lot more noticeable with the Legacy GT than my previous car.

My first thought was there was something wrong with my car. Maybe since others thought the same thing, the winter formulation this year is completely different?

I just found a station in Oregon that carries 92 NO ethenol. I noticed a difference from the cheap 91 e10 that we normally get at Fred Meyer (I get 15c a gallon of, thanks wife!)

Unfortunately the 92 is 2 hours away and at one of the self serve co-op deals. I only get to us it if I go out of town for work...

Almost all of Oregon seems to have nothing higher than 91 in most places.

20 ish here lately with a decent blend of highway and city.

i blame winter gas, and my new infamous tune.

Not that its the tune causing it, but the tune is just so nice, it 'forces' me to use the gas a little more lately! hehe

With the 2.5i, the average mpg reader in the car shows 32 in the summer at 70ish mph. City was 24. My winter driving is usually my journey between Rochester NY to eastern Mass so that's usually 75-80mph and I'll be between 26 and 29 HWY, 18-21 City.

I didn't know about Fuelly before this thread. I just signed up, that seems like an awesome tool!

This week I hit 23.2 MPG by the calculator on an 1800 ft. climb to Lake Placid with MickeyD stage 1 flash on 93 octane gas in 20*F weather. I averaged about 55mph on that tank. Overall not bad given that a majority of it was uphill.

I'm seeing basically no change from warmer weather to winter. my daily commute gives 16-20 mpg depending on how I drive. Highway trip a couple weekends ago got me 24mpg on a 250 mile round trip. This may be a result in my change from summer (225/45/17) to winter tires (stock 215/45/17).

anyone know of gas stations that sell 100% gasoline vs 10% ethanol

check out this site http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

Archived