LegacyGT.com

4th Gen Winter MPG Thread

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think so. Not for winter, anyway.

The key is speed on the highway. Wind resistance increases with the square of relative wind speed. The contribution of speed is extremely significant.

I'm going to try and start cruising at 55/65mph as limits allow.

I'm sensing you're also a mechanical engineer...

The key is speed on the highway. Wind resistance increases with the square of relative wind speed. The contribution of speed is extremely significant.

Don't forget to factor in where the sweet spot is in the motor for efficency. I had a 94 Audi S4 and it got 26-27mpg at 80-85 but would be closer to 25-24mpg at 65-70. Part of it could be how the air profile was at that speed and what power the motor was producing. It was the first year of the S4 which was more of a Euro model and design for the Autobahn.

I'm sensing you're also a mechanical engineer...

ding ding ding!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

velocity = triple (power)

u gain one, u have to triple another, just simple math

velocity = triple (power)

u gain one, u have to triple another, just simple math

I don't think you understood what I was saying. Wind resistance increases with the square of the relative windspeed. I wasn't talking about power consumption (which does increase proportionally to the cube of velocity).

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

what stations do you fill at? I see differences when I fill up at lower no brand name stations like quikfil or bj's fuel. I use Exxon/Mobil consistently and I see a more normal MPG rather than a 2-3mpg drop when using cheap gas. Also i use the same station consistently.

I don't think you understood what I was saying. Wind resistance increases with the square of the relative windspeed. I wasn't talking about power consumption (which does increase proportionally to the cube of velocity).

Being engineers though you should know that straight up physics isn't always easily applied.

Most of the time cars are designed to reach max mpg and lowest emissions at highway cruz speeds. Since the good old USA is a typically 65mph then that is most likely where our cars are designed to be the most efficent.

Being engineers though you should know that straight up physics isn't always easily applied.

Most of the time cars are designed to reach max mpg and lowest emissions at highway cruz speeds. Since the good old USA is a typically 65mph then that is most likely where our cars are designed to be the most efficent.

this situation has less physics applied, rather more thermodynamics and principles of engines operating on the otto cycle

I was averaging 24 mpg like 2 months ago but now, it's at 19 mpg and still dropping. So I might get low teens soon at this rate. Not sure if its weather related or if somethings wrong with the car. I guess I'll wait until spring to see if it gets back to low teens! I filled up today and it said I could only go 280 miles. Thats 16 mpg!!!!

oh, that was different story, I was talking about constant wind speed...

in my 2.5i i'm currently getting 27 mpg which is down about 2 mpgs from last winter. i'm thinking its because my valve cover gaskets are leaking oil into my spark plug wells. in the next week or so its going in for service and getting new gaskets plugs and wires under warrenty. hopefully that will get it back up.

I would have kept my 2.5SE had I gotten 27mpg!

I was getting 12mpg when Subaru finally decided to buy it back.

I would have kept my 2.5SE had I gotten 27mpg!

I was getting 12mpg when Subaru finally decided to buy it back.

My current city MPG is a little over 20, and my highway is in the upper 30s. I just signed up for Fuelly - and will be keeping track of my fill ups and average MPGs.

Archived