LegacyGT.com

got it tuned today on stg1. 7 feeling weird....

jaxx4k

So I went for a stg1. tuning today with just and intake and stg1 flash tune.

Tuner:PhatBotti Tuning in CT (STI MIKEY)

Car: 2005/LGT/114k stg1./5spd

Pros:

throttle response feels good

drive's alot smoother.

max boost reading 16.6PSI

43 degrees out while tuning.

cons:

spooling of the turbo @ 2500rpm-4.7k rpm is this BIG wopping KICK of boost.

can't get a smooth pull out of it..

is either ON @ 3k or OFF.

some sort of oil/plastic buring while in high boost. ( suspecting turbo is getting toasted)

A/F ratio 10.7 -10.8 @ WOT in 3rd gear.

said winter tune should be enough for summer driving as well as it will compensate the weather change ( is this true??)

Tuner said:

wasn't able to turn it higher the 16.6psi it won't let it read properly.

over all the tune was on the super safe side as I've requested.

told me that IF I was to do DP/Gutted up is a STG.2 Re-tune??

got me worrie bout the turbo is getting fried..

what do you guys think???

I think you should have gotten an Infamous1 tune. Smooth, smooth, smooth. Now that you have gone to a tuner and paid them, don't you think you should go BACK to the tuner with the new issues that they created? They should be able to make your tune smooth. If nothing else, they can turn the boost down to make the powerband more linear. Don't be afraid to tell your tuner what you want and discuss your issue with them!

EDIT: Consider stage 2. At stage 2 you should be able to boost 17+ lbs no problem. 17lbs is typically a place to STOP for longevity of the oem tmic (if you are running such a thing). Stage 2 is VERY on or off. My wife likes stage 3 with a bigger turbo better. Boost when you want it - not when you dont.

Like LosAngelestLGT said, if your tuner knows what he's doing, he should be able to make the tune match your needs. You will need to get a re-tune for changing your up pipe/down pipe. 16.6PSI is a lot of boost for still having your stock catted up pipe and down pipe. Have him do a learning view on your car to make sure it's safe. One thing I tell my customers is to come back after 2-3 weeks, to make sure the ecu has adjusted properly with a Learning View shot.

Nothing the tuner can do will change the "smell" at WOT. You could be burning oil (higher mileage turbo and/or engine) or it could be the residue from the TMIC after all this time.

10.8 isn't all that bad at WOT, especially for the small stock turbo. Once the weather warms up the extra fuel will help keep knock in check. It isn't absurdly rich.

Small turbos like to boost NOW. That's their nature. The tuner can limit this tendency at part throttle if it's a PITA while driving and still retain full WOT power.

Nothing the tuner can do will change the "smell" at WOT. You could be burning oil (higher mileage turbo and/or engine) or it could be the residue from the TMIC after all this time.

10.8 isn't all that bad at WOT, especially for the small stock turbo. Once the weather warms up the extra fuel will help keep knock in check. It isn't absurdly rich.

Small turbos like to boost NOW. That's their nature. The tuner can limit this tendency at part throttle if it's a PITA while driving and still retain full WOT power.

Tuner is coming back to me end of the wk or next wk to see if he can smooth out the part throttle.

over all I like it just not the ON/OFF feel since i do drive it alot on the hwy, def. don't need all the KICK.

16psi is typical stage 2 territory. Stage 1 tunes typically run to about 14psi due to the restrictive stock cats which keep exhaust gas temps very high.

Oil smell can be due to the manifold getting hotter than it ever has been. If it doesn't go away you need to investigate further into oil leaks or blow-by. If you can measure the EGT it would help your tuner decide if you need to lower the boost targets.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

good to know, I'll have him turn the boost down to 13.8 -14psi flat. until I get the 52/up/dp/CBE on the car for a re-tune..

That is probably the smart move, though I'd research the BNR turbos before settling on the VF-52.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I know what BNR can do.. but my budget is a lightly used turbo & i see alot of 52 forsale...

that's why I'm thinking on a 52.

even with BNR or 52 I know @ 95% duty cycle is bout 20-21psi max before the pump start giving out & intercooler or injectors upgrade is called. I'll be happy with 18psi daily on the super safe side..

I know what BNR can do.. but my budget is a lightly used turbo & i see alot of 52 forsale...

that's why I'm thinking on a 52.

even with BNR or 52 I know @ 95% duty cycle is bout 20-21psi max before the pump start giving out & intercooler or injectors upgrade is called. I'll be happy with 18psi daily on the super safe side..

At what altitude? I don't think the stock injectors are going to support 21psi, even at 95% IDC. I wouldn't run that much boost on pump gas anyway. 18psi is a good compromise though you will not be able to hold that toward redline as it's out of the 52's efficiency range and also the capacity of the fuel system.

Just be aware that a bunch of VF-52 turbos have died already. Buying two cheap turbos is still more expensive than buying two mid-priced ones. ;) The VF-52 torque curve looks to me like stage 2 on steroids. Very satisfying spike of torque that will put a grin on your face for a while, but the way it falls off up top will soon begin to disappoint.

guess I'll save a little more & get a BNR 16G, not sure what altitude but I live on the east coast in CT. at 16.6psi right now the IDC is running 80% maybe I'll push another 10% and see where that brings me. doing fuel pump is a matter of sooner or later problem.

thank you so much for your time & helping me to understand the curve level of the tune/turbo upgrade process....

guess I'll save a little more & get a BNR 16G,

You can make your budget go a little further by gutting the factory uppipe yourself or maybe shopping for a used downpipe.

my boy is giving me his 06 STI up & shopping for a used DP for 160-200 around.

06 STI UP fit??

Any single-scroll uppipe will fit, which is any USDM item.

You can also gut your stock DP, though if you are getting a pro-tune then I would get an aftermarket item now rather than pay again for a retune later when (inevitably) you decide to upgrade.

Wow that sucks... I got GTTuner here to do the install of the STi up and gutted my DP. I don't ever forsee wanting to spend more money on the rest of the exhaust to extract a few HP more....

It's been a long time since I've tuned myself... but having a 10ish AF ratio is really still too rich for my liking. The cold weather usually makes cars run LEANER because it's colder and the air is more dense. I say the summer will make it run even richer.

Still... it's not going to be too bad, and if you're all set on upgrading anyways......

Maybe you can make friends with a local enthusiast with a Tactrix cable to drop those boost targets a little? Try your local region forum and offer beer for help. If you already own a notebook it's not a bad idea to get a cable of your own for the sake of logging later on...

I wouldn't worry about the AFR targets for three reasons:

1. You don't know if you are actually hitting those targets without a WBO2. You may actually be leaner than that because of the physical limits of the pump and injectors.

2. If your temperature compensation is okay then you will not run richer in warmer weather.

3. 10.80 up top is not unreasonable given how inefficient the VF-40 is at high rpm... it's putting out rather hot air at that point and richer is safe. For sure you will get better power at (say) true 11.2, but you risk detonation.

A VAGCOM cable is $10 on eBay.

Oh yeah, OP is in an '05... pre-CANbus.

Archived