LegacyGT.com

Headlights Dim When Braking?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/transmission-flush-150388.html?t=150388&highlight=transmission+flush

Here's from the 2nd gen thread, I'd talk to subietonic about it. If you've had a good past with flushes though...I can't deter you. But everything I've read about them is that it's bad for your auto and is only a way for shops to make money off of you. FWIW, I wouldn't try it personally, but that's just my $0.02

Automatic transmission flushes get a bad rap because they usually aren't done at correct intervals. If you have them done at the factory recommended intervals, then it's fine to do. If you've never had one done and the car now has 70+, then it's probably a bad idea.

What happens is the friction discs in the tranny wear down. That material is suspended in the fluid and still functions as a friction material between the discs. When you do a flush, you remove all that material, and if your discs are worn enough, they don't have enough grab and the tranny slips.

When you do regular flushes, the new fluid works properly and doesn't allow the friction discs to break down as quickly as old fluid does... the tranny doesn't rely on the suspended friction material.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

True, BG pump uses two bladders (new in/old out) and uses the transmission's own pump to move things around so nothing is forced in. I think Subietonic was speaking of a flushing system that forces the fluid in with it's own pump....or he could just be totally against it. Also doesn't a transmission flush means taking the old fluid out, pushing a cleaning solvent through the system then putting in the new fluid right?

mwiener2 is right though, if you haven't ever changed the transmission's fluid/followed a regular interval/etc and you go and do it now, all that broken down material in the fluid is now gone.

I believe fishbone used a BG for his fluid change (OEM to Amsoil), it's in the 5EAT pride thread. He hasn't had any problems yet (knock on wood). It think it was also his 30k service. I'm guessing this could be considered more of an exchange of fluids.

If you have never flushed it though, then don't do it.

:yeahthat:

Archived