LegacyGT.com

Headlights Dim When Braking?

Noticed tonight during during a few light braking situations, right before I came to a complete stop my headlights dimmed for second. I have also noticed a few times in the daytime when the heads lights were not on, the car has done a SLIGHT stutter right before I came to a complete stop.

I did some searching and could not find anything. Any ideas?

Thanks for the tips guys! That was my first thought as well. I did some searching for alternator issues but could not find my exact problem. I should also note that it really only has issues when the car is "cold". After it runs for a little while it's just fine.

Doesn't Sears do a free electrical system test or something?

Low Idle ? see my thread below about my CEL. May be time for a can of Seafoam. I thought I noticed my headlights dimming sometimes over the past couple of weeks too.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cel-p0172-mis-fire-150752.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Low Idle ? see my thread below about my CEL. May be time for a can of Seafoam. I thought I noticed my headlights dimming sometimes over the past couple of weeks too.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cel-p0172-mis-fire-150752.html

Not that I've noticed. Car seems to run just fine other than what I mentioned above.

Not that I've noticed. Car seems to run just fine other than what I mentioned above.

How many miles on the car?

How many miles on the plugs?

Could even be a bad tank of gas ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

How many miles on the car?

How many miles on the plugs?

Could even be a bad tank of gas ?

88,000 as of today. The plugs were done at 59,000 according to the service records. I'm pretty sure Sears checks the electical system for free or a pretty small fee. Im going to stop by there after work.

Had the alternator & battery tested today and both are just fine. I looked at a few of the ground connections that are visable and they are pretty dirty. Anything in particular I should use to clean them?

In some of my searching I saw someone say to someone having a similar issue that it sould be a vacuum leak. Any ideas on that?

Dunno about the vacuum thing...?

I had my battery tested last winter during a low voltage dashboard indication and the test showed ok, and a few weeks later they tested it again and it had failed on one cell...by a qualified auto electrical shop (not Pep Boys or Sears)

The battery should be fully charged and load tested also at tempertures lower than 70 degrees. How old is it? (normally they last just about 5-6 years at most)

Also if your battery is loose in it's mounting the vibrations can easily cause the zinc plates to disintigrate into a poweder suspended in the liquid medium (unless it's a dry cell?) Your issue being an (early) indication it may at times be less than ideal...esp. on the LGT as the electrical load at cold temperatures is at it's maximum...e.g. heater, seats, alternator not putting out full amperage, etc.

Good luck!

Ran

I cleaned up my grounds and threw on a couple extra battery grounds; everything improved. My headlights were dimming really bad, and I'd get a shutter whenever I'd coast to a stop, but now it's hardly noticeable, maybe even gone. If you could reground the system, do it. There's alot of good that comes from it, especially if you get a grounding kit too. Just my $0.02

I cleaned up my grounds and threw on a couple extra battery grounds; everything improved. My headlights were dimming really bad, and I'd get a shutter whenever I'd coast to a stop, but now it's hardly noticeable, maybe even gone. If you could reground the system, do it. There's alot of good that comes from it, especially if you get a grounding kit too. Just my $0.02

Interesting. That shutter happens to me as well. It's slight but it's there and goes away after the car has been running a while. I had a grounding kit on my Saabaru. Did you replace the factory grounds with the ones that came in the kit or did you just add on? I just added on when I did my 9-2x.

I didn't get a "kit", I made my own :) 6 gauge lawnmower battery cable and some imagination...I got the 19" and 46" length. Spending a little time sanding down the paint at the grounding points, and making sure that everything is a snug, secure fit, and viola! $6 grounding kit. Polished up the stock grounds really really well too, and I immediately noticed a difference. I might add a third one just for kicks...I'm surprised with how well this simple mod worked!

^^ That's what I thought originally with mine. Actually, I had a bad alternator a little while ago, and checked the battery first to make sure that it was still good, and it checked out perfectly. Brand new alternator, great battery, but still had the issues. For what it's worth, my grounds were pretty bad as far as corrosion goes, and I think just cleaning them up helped ALOT. But throwing on two extra ones doesn't hurt :)

I think I'm going to clean any visable ground connections first and see what that does. The battery is fairly new (per the previous owner). Although if it's a grounding issue you'd think this would be more common. We'll see...

didn't catch 5EAT till just now. I'd hunt down a possible vacuum leak

Im getting one of those BG tranny flushes done soon. I guess I'll bring up my symptoms and see if they notice anything down there.

BTW, sick Outback. Saw your dyno sheet on Pirates. That thing is a beast!

Woah woah wait...tranny flush? How many miles do you have on it? I'll let someone else take the wheel when it comes to transmission flushes, but they are BAD news, especially if you have over 100k miles. Don't do it.

Just caught 5EAT too, vacuum leak is also a possibility. And from what I've seen, subarus are nortorious for grounding problems. The 2nd gens love grounding kits because the issue is so common...I'd imagine subaru cleaned up their grounds for the newer generations, but we'll never know unless we find out I guess.

Woah woah wait...tranny flush? How many miles do you have on it? I'll let someone else take the wheel when it comes to transmission flushes, but they are BAD news, especially if you have over 100k miles. Don't do it.

Just caught 5EAT too, vacuum leak is also a possibility. And from what I've seen, subarus are nortorious for grounding problems. The 2nd gens love grounding kits because the issue is so common...I'd imagine subaru cleaned up their grounds for the newer generations, but we'll never know unless we find out I guess.

The car has 88,500 miles. A BG flush should be just fine. Not worried at all. Had one done on my Saabaru and it made that tranny feel so much better.

Archived