LegacyGT.com

bad gas mileage!

stikiller

ok so i have posted this soo many times b4 and nobody has tried to help me maybe its a dumb question but i dont think it is. i am getting on avg 15.6mpg on a full tank of gas and that is babying it trying to get the most mpg! on my other 05 lgt that had tons of mods to it i was getting around 19 to 21 mg and that was being a lil heavy footed so can anyone plzzz! help me figure out what can be my problem its an 05 5eat with a perrin topmount gutted downpipe with stage 2 cobb ver 1.18

• Mega Users
clean the maf sensor. Check/raise the tire pressure. Mine went up a bit after those things. From 17/19 to about 18/22. Those were my numbers keeping off of the pedal as much as possible. If I get on it a lot, I get between 12 and 14.

no i dont have the vacation pics never heared of that before. and i have one step colder plugs that i put in bout 25-30k miles ago and had a trans flush bout 15k ago front and rear diff with royal purple tires checked every couple of weeks jus gonna revert back to stock then load the cobb stage 2 back again to have the ecu learn again maybe that will help other then that if that does not work in to the dealer it goes :(

• Mega Users
You should be good on plugs, except that you really don't need colder plugs. Start with the maf sensor and tire pressure since that will cost you all of $6 for the maf cleaner and 5 minutes of your time if you are slow. The dealer will probably blame it on the map or the DP. Search for the 05 vacation pix.

Subaru Legacy 2005 2.5i 5MT here and getting about 500km on a full tank while the dash calculator is giving me between 7.6 and 8.2L/100km on average. That's with the cruise set at 120km/h on highways and doing 80/20 highway/city

It is a drop compared to when I bought the car which had 89k (now at 121k). I know winter gives worse MPG but it still far from you guys numbers.. The only mods I did is putting a magnaflow catback to it and replacing the stock paper air filter for a drop in K&N.

Still trying to figure out why i'm getting such a bad MPG

ok so i went and bought crc maf cleaner and seafoam used them both for the seafoam i jus put it into a full tank of gas but there was the option of putting it right into your oil. for different purposes any info on if it helps the engine even further doing that? and im gonna wait till my next fill up to reset my map for the engine to relearn because i dont know what effects the seafoam will have with the gas for the ecu learning purposes lowered octane and soforth.

• 2 weeks later...

meh - he said that that was normal and it was the same as his experience with his previous GTs.

I usually see about 10% loss with my NA cars but 30% seems excessive to me. I had a 3000GT turbo that I ran in the winter and don't remember seeing my gas mileage fall off that much.

I have a 2008 GT limited.

FYI - They reflashed the transmission program because of lumpy 2-3 gear shifts, so if you are seeing that issue, it will be fixed under warranty.

• 3 weeks later...
Sounds about right summer/winter mileage. My 98 Outback gets about 27-29 summer and 22-24 winter. My previous car got 24-26 summer and 17-19 winter. I just got my 06 2.5i right before Thanksgiving so no real summer data, but I'm getting solid 25mpg manually figuring it out.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

My Legacy 2.5i 2005 is alcoholic and I dunno why. The only modification I did so far is a magnaflow catback and a K&N drop in filter. I filled the tank last week and resetted the odometer and i'm at 340km with 25% left. I'll do, at best, 450km. That's 18-19MPG..

That's about 90-95% city

It sucks =(

First, most areas require a gasoline formulation with lower vapor pressure (more volatile) in the winter months. This formulation has less energy density than "summer" gas, so you'll get less mileage.

Second, the engine computer adds more gas on cold starts than warm starts. When I get out of my car at the end of the driveway to get the newspaper every morning (yes, I'm on my way to work; I'm not that lazy) the raw gas smell in the exhaust is much more prevalent in winter than summer.

Snow tires, if you run them, have more rolling resistance than summer tires, requiring more energy from the engine to make them spin.

Over the past 11 years and 3 Subies ('02/'07 WRXs & a '10 LGT) I've seen a 2-3 MPG drop in winter compared to summer for the reasons stated above.

Don't forget letting your car warm up in the winter. My car runs at least 5 minutes before I drive it. Summer is just hop in and go!

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Don't forget letting your car warm up in the winter. My car runs at least 5 minutes before I drive it. Summer is just hop in and go!

Letting your car "warm up" for 5 minutes every mornings or everytime you start the car is not a way to save gas at all. I do agree that exhaust parts, especially catalytic converters, are not as efficient cold than hot but 5 minutes is excessive. 30 seconds to a minute is the recommandation for most "new" cars.

Archived