LegacyGT.com

question about guages

• I Donated
if you take apart the cluster out of any other BD legacy or outback, you can take each and every gauge out and put it into your current cluster.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

if you take apart the cluster out of any other BD legacy or outback, you can take each and every gauge out and put it into your current cluster.

only if BD means GT. GTs have a different speedo connector than the outback or lego L, LS or brighton. this due to the speedo drive gears and tire sizes being different.

• I Donated
only if BD means GT. GTs have a different speedo connector than the outback or lego L, LS or brighton. this due to the speedo drive gears and tire sizes being different.

i didn't know spedo gears were different between gt and others.

However, the autos go up to 120mph and the 5MTs go to 140mph

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

i didn't know spedo gears were different between gt and others.

However, the autos go up to 120mph and the 5MTs go to 140mph

i swapped an outback speedo into a GT and it was a pita.

the plugs are different and the face plates, w/ the numbers are different. one goes to 140, and one to 120. sound familiar?

when all was said and done, it turns out the speedos are the same. but the faceplates and connector boards are different. this makes perfect sense for a small car company like subaru. but they do juggle things around so they will work in different cars.

in swapping mine i learned that both of the speedos pointed straight up, 12 oclock , at the same speed. but the numbers on the faceplates were different. one said 60 something the other said 70 something. and to swap the face plates you have to pull the needle.

and there is no good way for you or i to re-install the needle correctly. i ended up doing it by using my GPS to drive 65 mph and then installing the needle. needless to say, this is very dangerous. kind of like reading and driving.

so if you need a different speedo, get one from the same type of car and same stock tires size.

is this a new sudden development?

if you lost your speedo i would guess front speed sensor. but with the gas gauge and tach gone i might pull the cluster and check the connections. maybe something got dirty.

has the gas gauge been working correctly up until now?

is this a new sudden development?

if you lost your speedo i would guess front speed sensor. but with the gas gauge and tach gone i might pull the cluster and check the connections. maybe something got dirty.

has the gas gauge been working correctly up until now?

Well they were all working but then I changed the color of the lighting and after doing so I have got my speedometer back to normal and the temp gauge is working. But the fuel gauge works a little except is not accurate atall and I know it. Also the tachometer moves a little but iks not moving correctly atall, i was just wondering whether or not i can keep my odometer while using the cluster from another legacy gt

Well they were all working but then I changed the color of the lighting and after doing so .....

what do you mean you changed the color.? what did this entail?

if this problem occurred after you pulled the instrument cluster then that is what caused the problem. i'd pull it again and check all the connections.

+1

My brother tore apart the gauge cluster when he wanted to change the bulbs in the back for blue leds, and succeeded in forgetting to hook one of the cables up, to the tach. Needless to say, I wasn't happy. Not saying you did this, but maybe one isn't connected all the way and is giving you funky data or something. Make sure they're all clipped in and in the right port, and give it another shot.

what do you mean you changed the color.? what did this entail?

if this problem occurred after you pulled the instrument cluster then that is what caused the problem. i'd pull it again and check all the connections.

Well i saw in the 2nd mod guide an example of people taking off the faces of the guages sanding the backs and then coloring then back of them thus changing the color the gauges have at night with the light behind them but when i took the needle off it also took the little metal dowel its held on with it, and after placing that back into the sensor it just does not seem to move accurately, it moves very very slow

Ahhhhhhh. That'll do it. You can change the color with leds too without having to sand down the back of the gauge cluster. So...tinker with it. Take out the cluster again and see if you can't reassemble the needle again differently than you did so that it might work. I'm not sure the system that they have in there (and I can't check unfortunately), but maybe it's in too tight? Just fiddle with it...it doesn't sound like it's broken to me, but then again we're trying to diagnose this over the internet :spin:

Ahhhhhhh. That'll do it. You can change the color with leds too without having to sand down the back of the gauge cluster. So...tinker with it. Take out the cluster again and see if you can't reassemble the needle again differently than you did so that it might work. I'm not sure the system that they have in there (and I can't check unfortunately), but maybe it's in too tight? Just fiddle with it...it doesn't sound like it's broken to me, but then again we're trying to diagnose this over the internet :spin:

Thanks for the help man, yeah i dont think they are totally broken but I just picked up a cluster from a broken legacy at my school and it looks much better than mine so I am thinking I will just switch the odometers over so I still have mine.

Yeah do that. It should be alot easier that way haha...if you already have the new cluster do it up. To be honest, I tried the blue leds behind the gauges and I rocked it for a little while. But, I didn't change out the hvac or the shifter bulbs to look the same color...so it all looked kind of stupid. Seriously, I'd keep it stock so everything looks clean. AND, if you decide to sell one day, the buyer will like it alot better. Unless you wanna change out all the bulbs, it'll look kinda chinzy.

I got rid of the leds zues, I went back to stock :) done right, I'd imagine it looks really good, but I was sick of just the gauges blue and everything else green. The light was pretty good with them too, but it was only behind the cluster. And my brother (for some stupid ass reason) didn't want to go all blue. AND he still is part owner of the car, so.....yeah.

Can't wait to buy the rest of the legacy off of him :cool:

Archived