LegacyGT.com

How much should I be paying for labor?

I'm doing my 60K tune up.

I have done everything easy myself and I am having the following done (except the brake fluid):

Spark Plugs

Coolant (drain old, replace with new)

Tranny Fluid (drain old, replace with new)

Rear Diff Fluid (drain old, replace with new)

Got quoted $200... $50/hr for labor for 4 hours. Does this sound right?

Depends on location.

The average around here is $90/hr.

The 60k should also include brake fluid flush.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Ahhh, probably close. I charge 225.00 for a complete soup to nuts 60K,with all the flushes including power steering. A 2.5i 60k I get 180.00. Spark plugs are tits to do on a non-turbo.

Plus I lubricate all the door hinges and door checks, verify the secondary hood latch is operational, and the parking brake too.

$50/hr is dirt cheap and 4hrs is average in terms of time.

At our shop we have 2 guys on the car and they bang out a complete 60k in about 2.5-3hrs with a lift and 2 guys who do like 3-5 60k services a week.

The plugs are a major PITA to do on a turbo car especially cause you have to let them cool down to do the coolant and the plugs.

You can get a list of what we do and what we charge on our website. http://azpinstalls.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=62&Itemid=80

-mike

haha I know $50/hr at a shop is dirt cheap, but this is a friend of mine, who started working out of his garage years ago and now is pretty damn good. He has a lift in what use to be a service station garage but it is no way a licensed business. I may still do it myself. Just need to borrow some tools and a lift.

haha I know $50/hr at a shop is dirt cheap, but this is a friend of mine, who started working out of his garage years ago and now is pretty damn good. He has a lift in what use to be a service station garage but it is no way a licensed business. I may still do it myself. Just need to borrow some tools and a lift.

So hook up your buddy with some work. Like you said $50/hr is cheap.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

Haa, tell that to the guys who had their oil changes done at Jiffy Lube...

That's why the subaru transmissions use the huge star wrench now.

Jiffy lube would drain the transmission, and then put 5 quarts in the engine.

So you had no fluid in your transmission and diffy and 10 quarts of oil in the engine.

-mike

Quality... In draining and filling fluids? Your comment works, but not in this scenario lol.

Ever heard of Jiffy lube screwing up an oil change? Of course not.:lol: That is why most of my customers will come here to the dealer for an extra 2 bucks and get the car service'd by a qualified, trained tech on their product.

I thought you needed plugs too? Crossthread one of those and it will screw up your day big time. ;)

Haa, tell that to the guys who had their oil changes done at Jiffy Lube...

That's why the subaru transmissions use the huge star wrench now.

Jiffy lube would drain the transmission, and then put 5 quarts in the engine.

So you had no fluid in your transmission and diffy and 10 quarts of oil in the engine.

-mike

lol. Exactly why I don't use "Express" Oil change facilities.

My other option is borrowing a lift at a local muffler shop and doing the changes myself, I'm 100% positive I wont mess up the fluds, but a friend with smaller arms/hands will be around to help with the plugs. Probably won't cost me more than $50 to use the lift and borrow the friend.

Options:

1. Drop the car off @ friends "shop" pay the $200 4 hours will be done... hopefully...

2. Bring car to muffler shop, use lift, takes more time, but costs 1/4 the price.

Opinions?

lol. Exactly why I don't use "Express" Oil change facilities.

My other option is borrowing a lift at a local muffler shop and doing the changes myself, I'm 100% positive I wont mess up the fluds, but a friend with smaller arms/hands will be around to help with the plugs. Probably won't cost me more than $50 to use the lift and borrow the friend.

Options:

1. Drop the car off @ friends "shop" pay the $200 4 hours will be done... hopefully...

2. Bring car to muffler shop, use lift, takes more time, but costs 1/4 the price.

Opinions?

If the local muffler shop is willing to put their insurance on the line for $50, go for it!

-mike

Ever heard of Jiffy lube screwing up an oil change? Of course not.:lol: That is why most of my customers will come here to the dealer for an extra 2 bucks and get the car service'd by a qualified, trained tech on their product.

I thought you needed plugs too? Crossthread one of those and it will screw up your day big time. ;)

I wouldn't go touting dealer service. I don't know of any that actually truly flush the brakes even though it's required on the 30k and 60k services. They generally use the lowest grade fluids that meet the requirements and the techs skills can range greatly even within the same dealership.

-mike

I wouldn't go touting dealer service.

Hey, don't dish my service department.

Fact of the matter is Chrysler does not recomend ANY flushing of any fluids per a TSB and a blurb in the owners manual. We service the cars to exact specifications as outlined in the owners manual. No effing BG services or crap like that.

As far as brake flushes, we have the Wynns machine will do all 4 wheels at once. So anytime the hydraulic system is opened in our shop for a repair the complete system is bled and flushed at that time. I don't agree with everything Chrysler says but when we tell a customer they MUST flush the brake fluid (or some other fluid) we need to be able to back this up with something in black and white that indicates this.

We don't oversell stupid items such as the quick lube joints do. The Valvoline shop up the street is pushing engine flushes. If that is not asking for trouble nothing is. If there is sludge in a motor, we recomend you leave it alone. Trying to flush or clean it just stirs up everything and a week later the engine has no oil pressure.

We use Mopar fluids in EVERYTHING. Just because your an independent doesn't mean you should make a blanket statement about dealer service departments in general. In fact, I would bet independents use more generic fluids than anyone else.

P

Wow things must be very different in RI compared to NY/NJ, cause the dealers here suck as bad as the quickly lube places. :) There are obviously good and bad dealers and good and bad independent places, but I'd say most dealers are as shady as they come. Your place obviously sounds like it's run differently.

-mike

Wow things must be very different in RI compared to NY/NJ, cause the dealers here suck as bad as the quickly lube places. :) There are obviously good and bad dealers and good and bad independent places, but I'd say most dealers are as shady as they come. Your place obviously sounds like it's run differently.

-mike

Isn't everything better outside of NY/NJ. :lol: Sorry couldn't resist.

habitual derail-er

-mike

I do run the service dept here. The guys do things the correct way or out the door they go. I have no effing tolerance for dishonest upselling, loose bolts/wheels, etc. I've been here for 15 months and our service customer base is growing rapidly, thanks to a couple of shady dealers within 15 minutes of here. I believe in making money on volume and honesty, not pounding every customer each time they come in.

The last place I ran for 16 years. Started as a tech, went to foreman, then service manager. Since I have left many of my old customers say the place has turned into a rip off joint.

Believe me, there are many shady places around here. My techs know that I have as much knowledge or more than they do, so they do the right thing. We did have an embarassing screw-up last week, but I was honest and told the customer exactly what we screwed up and how we were going to rectify it.

Archived