LegacyGT.com

Which Aftermarket Gauges for GT?

outahere

Which aftermarket gauges will match up best, appearance wise, with the electroluminescent gauge cluster in the Legacy GT? I have used VDO gauges in the past on various vehicles, but I doubt they have anything that matches well to the Subaru.

I hate to pull what others sometimes call annoying. Your best bet for info thus far is probably the search tool. I punched gauges in and got a whole slew of viable topics. This section and Interior in Tech is probably the best places to look for info on it. :)

[quote name='SUBE555']Yup, axis, I put just plain 'gauges' in and got a whole lot of good results. :)[/quote] Of the 50 threads that show up in searching for "gauges", which one actually answers my question, and lists manufacturers of aftermarket gauges that match the GT gauges? Since you got a lot of "good results" I assume you can direct me to a specific thread. :D

Guys, thanks for the info about the Defi gauges. If they are that expensive, may have to settle for something like Autometer, despite the appearance mismatch. The GT could really use, IMO, a voltmeter, oil temperature, and oil pressure gauge. And perhaps a boost and EGT gauge set.

As great as the Defi gauges are, I still can't personally understand the justification for spending $300 for a control unit and then $200 more on TOP of that for EACH gauge. The import scene has really skewed the supply-demand curve IMHO. I really like the defi technology, but from a computer engineering perspective, I'm still awed by how much they're charging for it. Oh, and I plan on using a CarPC to get digital gauges, but if that doesn't work out, I'll go with VDO gauges.

[quote name='CombatCQB']As great as the Defi gauges are, I still can't personally understand the justification for spending $300 for a control unit and then $200 more on TOP of that for EACH gauge. The import scene has really skewed the supply-demand curve IMHO. I really like the defi technology, but from a computer engineering perspective, I'm still awed by how much they're charging for it. Oh, and I plan on using a CarPC to get digital gauges, but if that doesn't work out, I'll go with VDO gauges.[/quote] That IS expensive! AutoMeter and VDO are looking a lot more attractive now. The VDO Cockpit series or Vision series look like they will be a decent match to the EL gauges in the GT. They have a red pointer, white numerals, and black background like the EL gauges, but lack the red ring.

[quote name='brady_bunch'][quote name='CombatCQB']Oh, and I plan on using a CarPC to get digital gauges...[/quote] CarPC? Gotta link for that? I Googled it but didn't come up with anything definitive. TIA![/quote] Maybe he plans on building one? I have a small system board that would work marvelously.. hm.. I still really like the Defi gauges, and I hear they are more accurate than some others..

[quote name='Th3Franz'][quote name='brady_bunch'][quote name='CombatCQB']Oh, and I plan on using a CarPC to get digital gauges...[/quote] CarPC? Gotta link for that? I Googled it but didn't come up with anything definitive. TIA![/quote] Maybe he plans on building one? I have a small system board that would work marvelously.. hm.. I still really like the Defi gauges, and I hear they are more accurate than some others..[/quote] I can build a PC... but how do you hook it into the car's computer? Don't tell me cars are coming with USB ports these days! :lol:

[quote name='brady_bunch']I can build a PC... but how do you hook it into the car's computer? Don't tell me cars are coming with USB ports these days! :lol:[/quote] haha I wish. I think you can get a special hardware/software combo to plug into an OBDII port, but I'm not sure. Some people use CarPCs for navigation, music storage, or whatever.

The Nissan Skyline R32 had a serial cable to download all of the data logger's content to a laptop. But I haven't seen anything like it since. I have Identified three ways to hook up the CarPC to the Legacy. The first one is to build my own data logger and add my own sensors. I've already bought a USB signal recorder that has 4 channels to test with and a bunch of temp and pressure sensors. Second is to use OBDII, but that might not give me info that the ECU doesn't have to begin with. If the ECU doesn't have an oil temp sensor, I'll still need to install and monitor my own sensor, same goes for boost. The Last option is really a hunch at this point. Most cars now has a Control Area Network built in for most electronics to talk to each other. This network is faster and has more access than OBDII. Tapping into the CAN would be a nice option. I think it'll end up to be a combination of the three options in the end. But I'll be starting with my own signal monitor and then add other features. I've been browsing MP3Car.com for info on OBDII interfacing. They're a good resource.

It is in French but a number of my buddies have them and are really stooked: Check it out: [url]http://wpsm.free.fr/[/url] Some pics[img]http://wpsm.free.fr/images/ipaqpaysage.jpg[/img] He has plans for an English version. Hope this helps .

[quote name='nicd']It is in French but a number of my buddies have them and are really stooked: Check it out: [url]http://wpsm.free.fr/[/url] Some pics[img]http://wpsm.free.fr/images/ipaqpaysage.jpg[/img] He has plans for an English version. Hope this helps .[/quote] oooo....another use for my pocket pc!!!11

In this case he is showing RPM and the timming/adavnce could have been: [img]http://wpsm.free.fr/images/mon5.gif[/img] the combination is huge as it monitors the information that is feed into the ecu by the various sensors as well as the information that is sent out from the ecu. Nice gadget to have on a 7" pop out panel screen like this one: [img]http://www.jcwhitney.com/wcsstore/jcwhitney/images/imagecache/I36553.gif[/img]

Archived