LegacyGT.com

To those with LCA bushings...

GTLEGACY007

So I just my aging, cracked, stock LCA bushings replaced with new Perrin bushings. I had been having some front suspension issues, which this resolved. The front end feels must more planted now, and hugs the road just as i'd like. HOWEVER, ever since having these installed (literally as soon as I drove away from the shop) I noticed the ride is now very rough over even the smallest imperfection in the road. I can even feel the reflectors in the road between lanes when switching lanes.

So my question for those who've replaced their LCA bushings with aftermarket bushings is, is this normal? Should this be something I should be concerned about? Anything I can do? It's really increased the ride harshness and just the overall noise in the cabin, which kind of makes the car feel cheap to me, as its very loud while on the freeway. Input?

So I just my aging, cracked, stock LCA bushings replaced with new Perrin bushings. I had been having some front suspension issues, which this resolved. The front end feels must more planted now, and hugs the road just as i'd like. HOWEVER, ever since having these installed (literally as soon as I drove away from the shop) I noticed the ride is now very rough over even the smallest imperfection in the road. I can even feel the reflectors in the road between lanes when switching lanes.

So my question for those who've replaced their LCA bushings with aftermarket bushings is, is this normal? Should this be something I should be concerned about? Anything I can do? It's really increased the ride harshness and just the overall noise in the cabin, which kind of makes the car feel cheap to me, as its very loud while on the freeway. Input?

If NVH and ride quality are important to you, the Perrin LCA replacement probably was not the best choice. You have replaced a soft rubber bushing with a Spherical bearing. This will have essentially NO give, and transmit any vibration or impact without any isolation like the stock bushing provides.

Per Perrin's Website 'the PERRIN Performance PSRS replaces the front lower control arm mounts with a solid connection using a teflon lined spherical bearing.'

AVO's LCA bushings would probably have been a better choice for you, given your concern. Its a poly bushing, so its much stiffer than the stock bushing, but it still has the ability to 'give' and absorb some impacts and vibrations (though not as much as the stock bushing would).

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic

225/60HR16 Bridgestone G009's

The perrin LCA PSRS kits can be pressed out and reused regardless of the fact that their solid.

Picked up a used set myself a while back, however decided not to install them for the exact reason you guys are discussing.

Replacing with either superpro or whiteline poly offset.

I went with Whiteline after reading harshness with Perrin. With Whiteline I barely noticed any increase in nvh and with much improved steering and handling. Has been one of my favorite mods.

... what he said!

Love my Whitelines. Though, there was a noticeable increase in nvh, but livable...

We'll, guess I should've done a bit more research on these before I pulled the trigger. They're livable, I mainly just wanted to be sure there wasn't some problem with the install. I think i'll stick with them, maybe if I get really tired of them some day i'll replace them with AVO or Whiteline units. Thanks for all the input!

• 2 weeks later...
How hard is it to replace the LCA bushings? Do the LCA's have to come completely off the car? Is this a DIY job?

Since you need to use a press to put them in, yes, they probably have to come off the car. I had mine done since I figured I would have to take the whole arm somewhere to press them in anyway.

If you have access to a press its not a bad DIY. Not sure if anyone has had luck getting them in correctly without a press... maybe there is a way?

I have the Perrin LCA.........a little harsh but the handling trade off is well worth it,car is smooth on highways and ruff going across railroad tracks,multiple buts etc. I also have BC coilovers and Perrin 25mm sways so just imagine the extra harshness......love it.

Another note on this- replaced my stock wheels/tires with off-brand tires with some 18" Rotas and Hankook Ventus V12s and there was a BIG reduction in harshness with the new, nicer tires. I probably would not have started this thread at all had I had this wheel/tire setup on the car when I got the bushings installed.

Hmm, I'm torn between Whiteline and SuperPRO.

I like the ability to adjust caster, but I have no desire to run anything but the maximum amount.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I'll get both.

edit:

fredbeansparts has some good prices, i also got the shifter mount, bushings, and engine clippy things that for some reason disappear.

Course i should have did the whole thing in one order instead of two... doh!

fredbeansparts has some good prices, i also got the shifter mount, bushings, and engine clippy things that for some reason disappear.

Fredbeans is tough to beat. Ive probably bought 90% of my mods there.

Shifter bushings make a nice difference. What is the shifter mount?

Also highly recommend group n tranny mount and crossmember bushings.

The shifter mount is the Group N one. It was one of those "while i'm shopping i might as well..." purchases. The shifter bushings are kartboy. For control arm bushings i'm going with the whiteline front and AVO .5 degree rears. I have a press and all that so i'm not anticipating too much trouble.

Couple questions - and i dont mean to hijack this thread so mods please move this post if you feel it appropriate.

1. What are common issues run into when pulling the control arms? Any tips?

2. What are the torque specs for the control arm bolts and anything i'm going to disconnect? Loc-tite required on anything?

3. Any tips for the shifter bushings?

I have been only driving my subaru and working on my xr4ti - (doing a built bottom end this off season - mating to my esslinger (worked) d port aluminum head and fabbing up a custom intake manifold as well as scheduling some dyno time to get the stand alone dialed in... But the daily needs some lovin' so i'm getting some lovin' done. I need the legacy, the XR is a toy.

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone was interested - slight update. Did the bushings and shifter mount last weekend. Turns out the front LCA bushing doesn't fit in my press so i am going to my buddy's shop (he's a subaru guru) tonight to do those. He's got some special arbor for it.

Shifter mount and bushing (stock) were surprisingly soft rubber. The feedback change with the new mount and bushings is amazing.

for the LCA (rear) bushing i've noticed barely any increase in NVH but noticed much less bump feedback thru the steering wheel and car itself.

Archived