LegacyGT.com

Wheel bearing lubricant?

I just noticed that the 60k service notes say to inspect the wheel bearing lubricant. That got me wondering how difficult that is... also, what can be done to get more grease in there if necessary, or just for preventative maintenance.

Is there a way to assess the state of the bearing and grease without pulling axles out?

To grease them, is there a grease fitting that can be used, or does the axle need to be removed to get grease in there?

Thanks in advance.

I'm kinda kicking myself for not thinking of this when my axles are all laying on the garage floor just last week. :redface:

My hasty search found that they look like regular tapered roller bearings (the rear ones, at least). I think they need to be removed and repacked the old fashioned way, with a glob of grease in the palm of your hand or a bearing packer tool.

There isn't a grease fitting, and it didn't even seem like there was a way to get lubricant into the bearing when I replaced mine.

I don't think they can be repacked - they're sealed bearings.

http://www.thepartsbin.com/images/products/thumbs/replacement/reps285901.jpg

That is a rear hub, the fronts look similiar with a different bolt pattern.

There isn't a grease fitting, and it didn't even seem like there was a way to get lubricant into the bearing when I replaced mine.

I don't think they can be repacked - they're sealed bearings.

http://www.thepartsbin.com/images/products/thumbs/replacement/reps285901.jpg

That is a rear hub, the fronts look similiar with a different bolt pattern.

Good find, I stand corrected. Damn you advance auto parts!

Does the term "stealership" mean anything to you...

That's just one more way to jack up the cost of do nothing service.

I doubt your local mechanic would charge you for that.

They may just give the hub a quick look over to see if any grease is coming out.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

i have seen sealed bearings like ours that have a decent amount of play that make zero noise, and ones that are tight as a, well fill in the blank, and growl like you wouldn't believe. but yes, no inspection or greasing can be done, because you may be able to get them apart, but good luck getting them back together

Archived