LegacyGT.com

Adding 50 HP to 2008 Outback XT...?

Whats the most reliable way to do this? I've decided to keep the car now that the lease is expiring and would love a reasonable boost in performance. I don't know what our XT's make as far as WHP on the dyno but I'm thinking 50 additional WHP should bring me solidly in the high 13s. Please advise.

dave

08 doesn't need an uppipe!

I expect that gain with a TMIC, DP, midpipe/y-pipe, and tune.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

ERZ/CNT Catted Downpipe

Infamous1 tune.

DONE.

+1

Downpipe and a tune is all you need for a significant power boost. New TMIC is recommended, as the stock one tends to blow endtanks at higher Stage 2 boost levels, although you may be able to reinforce the stock one and be fine (search "JB Weld"). Intake, and catback can make a few additional ponies, but aren't really good "bang-for-the-buck" mods. If you think you may want those, get them from the start so you only have to tune once. But I say try them without. I've been at a very basic Stage 2 level for 3.5 years now and am still very happy with the power levels.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

From stock / stage ZERO? Oh so easy brohan!!!

$500

ERZ/CNT Catted Downpipe

Infamous1 tune. (or any other - cough cough LESSER :lol: - tune)

DONE.

Dave, You'll also need a laptop and a tactrix cable. He's referring to an "Open Source" tune. If you don't already have a laptop you can use, then the AccessPORT is a good option. Especially if you buy it used.

Definitely get a custom tune. If done correctly they are safer for your engine and usually result in more power and better drivability as well.

I'm in the middle of getting an infamous e-tune and I'm pretty impressed so far.

Cheers!

Great info, helps me as well. I'm trying to figure out a tuning option for myself. My friend didnt have any luck with his STi e-tune so I'm trying to stay away from that. I just can't justify spending $600 on an AccessPort :(

Okay,a couple of questions:

What is a TMIC?

Is an 'open-source' tune a generic tune based on what you have installed on the car as opposed to dyno-tuning a chip/reflash, which I'm assuming we're calling a 'custom-tune'?

I'm new to Subie mods since I spent the last decade modding my Mustang. Now that I'm in the process of selling it, I need my Outback to step it up a little!

TMIC = Top Mount InterCooler. A replacement for your stock one is recommended at "stage 2" power levels.

Open-source means utilizing available software (which is available for free) to reflash the ECU. It is HIGHLY recommended that you have someone else tune the car, who is more familiar with the process. It is very easy to muck things up beyond repair if you try yourself and fail.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

^If your outback only sees pavement get swaybars otherwise skip it as it will lead to not as compliant offroad use. (Of course, if you only saw pavement you would not have an outback right?)

Im guessing you already have a laptop. You are in NY. I am sure you can find a local with a tactrix cable that can help you out. (EDIT - OP that means going into the north east regional section of the forum and asking for help. Offer pizza and beer and where to get a DP installed). As for the tune, after contacting Infamous1 he would explain it.

THE DOWNPIPE IS THE #1 POWER RESTRICTOR YOU HAVE RIGHT NOW. Change that and get a tune. You will gain around 50hp with a Infamous1 tune (and even more TQ).

Stage 2 would easily get you there.

Intake, exhuast, up pipe, and a tune.

^??? An intake is not needed till well past 330hp or a serious stage 3. Exhaust is not going to buy that much on a 17lb stage 2 tune. Will buy TQ but OP said HP. I guess if he wants to spool Fast and Furious sound he can get a Typhoon K&N like many of us :lol:

Not to toot my own horn but everything you needed was in post #2

From stock / stage ZERO? Oh so easy brohan!!!

$500

ERZ/CNT Catted Downpipe

Infamous1 tune. (or any other - cough cough LESSER :lol: - tune)

DONE.

^EDIT: serioiusly, nothing for a daily driver gives you the power gain that a DP + custom tune give dollar for dollar

Or he wanted a wagon, and that's why he the Outback.

That's why I did.

THE DOWNPIPE IS THE #1 POWER RESTRICTOR YOU HAVE RIGHT NOW. Change that and get a tune. You will gain around 50hp with a Infamous1 tune (and even more TQ).

^??? An intake is not needed till well past 330hp or a serious stage 3. Exhaust is not going to buy that much on a 17lb stage 2 tune. Will buy TQ but OP said HP. I guess if he wants to spool Fast and Furious sound he can get a Typhoon K&N like many of us :lol:

Just to be clear here, the 2 post turbo cats are the biggest restrictions. Some folks have gutted the first one and are running stage 2 just fine. Yes, they're still giving up some HP and TQ but not very much.

Also, the stock inter cooler is fine as long as you reinforce the tabs holding the end-tanks on with something like JB-Weld. Yes, a larger after market one will give you some gains but again, not much when using the stock turbo.

I do agree with you that an intake is not needed. ;):lol: :lol:

Cheers!

Got it! Thanks! Now I just have to find a tuner who is not too far away. That'll be next season. I want to do the swaybars first(Rallitek).

If you want a dyno tune, yes. For the Infamous1 tune, he tunes you by e-mail. No dyno needed. You log your car's info and he will base a map off of the results of that log. It has proved to be a very reliable method.

Thanks for the info! The car sees pavement and snow covered pavement in the winter. I asked about 50hp but obviously torque is what makes us happiest! That said, 300hp would be a nice 'pick me up' for an Outback XT. What is it about the stock intercooler that is the issue?

Got it! Thanks! Now I just have to find a tuner who is not too far away. That'll be next season. I want to do the swaybars first(Rallitek).

If you're looking for a real custom dyno tune, most people around here go to Innovative Tuning in Buffalo NY. It's a bit expensive compared to an etune but I think most people would say it's worth it.

Fear neither the e-tune nor the hardware/software to go with it. My car's turbo died and I needed to figure it all out quick-like; went remarkably smoothly. PM me if you want and I'll give you a quick rundown of what to do- you'll still need to read a lot but I can give you a good overview to start with.

I asked about 50hp but obviously torque is what makes us happiest!

On the small stock turbo you will see more increase in torque than in horsepower. Have a search around for stage 2 dyno plots and you will see.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 10 months later...

^Lol

A 2.4 60' isn't something I would have bumped a year old thread to brag about.

I just noticed TRS's sig, though. I made a little less hp, but more torque, and I can get a 60' close to that if I cared enough to try. Nice to know my Outback is a mid-to-low 13 second car.

Archived