LegacyGT.com

E-throttle Quirk

I recently bought a 2007 SpecB and am having trouble relearning my shift technique, seems like the throttle holds for a bit as I step off which is causing me to slow my stab of the clutch or I get the revs sliding up. I thought it might just be me but my wife who also has many years of stick shift experience is having the same problem. If I slow the whole process down, lift-pause-stab, I can shift it smooth but there doesn’t seem to be a way to shift quick and smooth. I’m assuming this common the drive by wire cars and not just an issue with my car. I also assume that there is no way to fix it except maybe with an AP/re-flash. Any advice?

Gary

never noticed this either, but I will say Subarus tend to be notchy when shifting. I have no tune and my throttle seems as responsive as any other car I've had. I did get a couple reflashes when the car was brand new to remove the infamous studder... maybe the previous owner never did so....

It's because of the DBW - if you are used to a non-DBW car with analog (50% pedal angle means 50% throttle opening), it's hard to catch the timing. Especially if you are an old skool fart like me that learned to drive on Datsun five and dimes.

Shameless plug here, I find the DBW throttle controller helps enormously for response, and it was easier to adjust to the setting on that than the OEM throttle mapping, which has some hesitation in it (probably to protect the clutch).

Regards,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

A lot of stock cars do that! My 2.5i does that a bit also it's not that's it's a weakness of dbw it's programming my 90 sunbird did the same thing by holding the iac open the revs would stay up then slowly come down. I rarely use the clutch to shift

Could it be an oem thing for pollution? Or some thing to protect the cat?

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

I did a little experimenting today and there is defiantly a short pause in the deceleration on throttle step off. From a steady higher RPM cruise, say 4000rpm, when I step off there is an instant small drop in power followed by full engine braking about a half second later. On up shift I think the effect is made worse by what seems like a fairly heavy flywheel needing a little time to slow down if the revs are climbing fast. I’m getting better at the timing and regular around town type diving it not much of an issue but if I’m feeling sporty I guess I’ll have to resign myself to a slightly slower shift. Seems a shame that my old ’91 Legacy turbo with 325,000 miles and worn syncros can out shift my SpecB with a 6 speed. If a reflash can “fix” this its probably the best justification I’ve found yet to make the investment.

BTW, I’m an old fart too, learned to drive stick in a VW Beatle.

Gary

I loathe the DBW in my car. My old ass M3 is light years ahead in terms of pedal feel. Many times I wondered why wasn't there much of a difference between 50% throttle and 100% in my car. I learned why along the way.

Archived