LegacyGT.com

Help! Pulled over for tint. Need knowledgeable person of MD Vehicle/Traffice Law!

maddoc

So I just got pulled over for the following:

1. Operating Vehicle on Highway w/ unauthorized window tinting material (TA 22-406(i1) )

2. Materially altering vehicle equip after repair order cert. issued (TA - 23-109(j) )

3. Improper window glazing material (MR - 11-393.60)

Now, I did have a repair order for tint give about 5-6 months ago after I was pulled for no front plate (new bumper, no hole), had the repair order satisfied (removed tint, inspected by shop). Second, I was under the impression that tint was a secondary offense in MD?

Does MD keep track of ROs? The officer asked if I had a repair order issued in the last couple of months...to which I blanked and said "no" then realized "yes"...but it was completed.

If anyone has a good grasp of Maryland Vehicle/Traffic Law (LEO, lawyer, etc) shoot me a message or respond here...this is a new one for me

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tint is not a secondary violation in MD, but can be used as a primary violation for the stop. Good reason for a stop depending on what type of area you work in.

See MD TA 22-406(i)(2)..."If a police officer observes that a vehicle is being operated in violation of paragraph (1) of this subsection, the officer may stop the driver of the vehicle and, in addition to a citation charging the driver with the offense, issue to the driver a safety equipment repair order in accordance with the provisions of § 23-105 of this article."

Googled and found that on some LEO board, but my suspicion is that they can pull you over for it.

Wow....what did you do to piss of the cop ;). Very few just pull you over for that...unless you really look suspicious or boy racer type. I'll give you the benefit of doubt though...because I don't know you at all.

If you think you have legal tint....go get it certified and the MVA (I did mine at Gaithersburg MVA). If it isn't legal....guess what...you gonna pay for the ticket. I don't even think removing it will solve the issue. Only "work orders" which I think they stopped giving out....were removed/not fined if the issue was resolved.

Wow....what did you do to piss of the cop ;). Very few just pull you over for that...unless you really look suspicious or boy racer type. I'll give you the benefit of doubt though...because I don't know you at all.

Last time I checked I didn't look suspicious at all. No big wing... just wheels tint front bumper and fairly quiet exhaust.

I was doing NOTHING wrong, just driving down Randolph towards the Pike. He was pulled over in the far right lane of a 3 lane road with his lights on (he must have just ticketed someone else). I passed him in the far left lane, and as I passed him he turned his lights off and got behind me and 1/4 of a mile later pulled me over

did he measure your tint % ? if not, you may get off since the burden of proof is on the officer to say that your tint amount was illegal.

I do not think they are required to in the state of MD. For the tint to be legal it has to be certified my MD State Police, and there's a form and a sticker they give you.

Hey WeatherWarrior, you know maddoc quite well! You two were talking quite a bit as well, at the Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger meet we had in the summer, over in Burtonsville.

As far as tinting, you could go to your tint shop and get a receipt that lists the amount of tint they put on your car. :lol:

Hey WeatherWarrior, you know maddoc quite well! You two were talking quite a bit as well, at the Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger meet we had in the summer, over in Burtonsville.

Not aware of that one. I've never been to a Legacy meet.

What % tint did you buy anyway, and this is the second time you were pulled fr it?

You play you pay.I'm not tyring to be a prick but maybe after the 1st stop,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Understood where you're coming from, but the circumstances for the first stop was complete BS. It should have never happened but apparently that MD State Trooper had a vendetta against modified cars...The first repair order was tacked onto a no front plate ticket, just because he could.

Were you the guy in a White LGT with ProDrives wheels?

Nope. I have a blue LGT w/ Rotas and a JDM front bumper.

Tint is not a secondary offense in maryland.

There are records that record if your vehicle was issued a repair order for window tint that are available at the time of the stop.

I realize it may come as a surprise to many people, but lots of criminal really like dark tinted windows. Im not really sure why people are surprised they are getting stopped for window tint when 95% of the people out there are fish-bowling around in their cars and then there is the one car with a loud exhaust, slammed suspension, and blacked out windows. (hint, you stand out)

You will probably pay out on this one. Your best bet is to leave it at 35% and call it a day.

If the Trooper didn't measure your light transmission, you may be able to get off on those grounds, and I would try it. If he measured it and you were too dark, you dont really have anything to stand on, especially because you are technically supposed to have the certification sticker, as afore mentioned.

Idk if this goes for MD, but in PA you are only allowed to have tint on your rear windows and absolutely nothing in the front only the stuff they put on from factory(which is basically nothing), but i've been pulled over quite a few times with it in my old car just had an extra pair of windows for when I got pulled over and they told me to take it off and come show that I did I would just switch them out go and then switch them back.

There are records that record if your vehicle was issued a repair order for window tint that are available at the time of the stop.

I realize it may come as a surprise to many people, but lots of criminal really like dark tinted windows. Im not really sure why people are surprised they are getting stopped for window tint when 95% of the people out there are fish-bowling around in their cars and then there is the one car with a loud exhaust, slammed suspension, and blacked out windows. (hint, you stand out)

You will probably pay out on this one. Your best bet is to leave it at 35% and call it a day.

If the Trooper didn't measure your light transmission, you may be able to get off on those grounds, and I would try it. If he measured it and you were too dark, you dont really have anything to stand on, especially because you are technically supposed to have the certification sticker, as afore mentioned.

Thanks for the insight, Kurt :) I had been under the impression, as told to me by others, that it was a secondary offense. However I should have been smarter and read the law myself; that is my own fault. I am somewhat surprised that I was picked out when there were several tinted cars around, but that's my word against his. The officer was a county officer, and no, he did not meter my windows just handed me a repair order and a $70 fine (twice)

Ive seen officers make convictions on tint in court without a tint meter, but i would still probably try to get acquitted based on the non meter....although the fact that you had uncertified tint on a second-time infraction doesnt bode well for you, and you may get hammered harder if you try to fight it.

In all seriousness just change it to 35 and roll legal. You will save yourself a ton of heart ache.

...if you need someone to pass you...MD Inspection...I know someone...It will cost you, but not as much as taking it off, getting it inspected and putting it back on!

CK

When and if i get someone to buy my car. gonna need to talk to you. Get my tint/exhaust through inspection.

I agree..just pay the stupid fine and move on....They usually see something else and say by the way why is your tint so dark?.

Just my .02 cents...you should always do your research on this before you move to any new state....I know VA is 35 and 50....Good Luck to you...

I agree..just pay the stupid fine and move on....They usually see something else and say by the way why is your tint so dark?.

I'd love to, but offense #2 is a court appearance. So, at this point, I'm probably going to need a lawyer - which I need to find.

I'd love to, but offense #2 is a court appearance. So, at this point, I'm probably going to need a lawyer - which I need to find.

Do you plan to have it redone legal? If so, go have it done at the legal limit, make sure it is cured, and then contact the Maryland Department of Motor Vehicles about having your tint certified. You'll set an appointment, and they will test it with a light meter, and provide you a certification document and decals for each window tested/passed.

You could take this document to court with you, and claim the window tint is legal (hopefully there will be the assumption that the officer was mistaken), present the document showing you went and had it tested, and hopefully it will end there. Some possibly helpful links..

http://www.mdstateinspectionstation.com/f_a_q%27s.htm

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/About-MVA/INFO/58000ASE/58000-04T.htm#safetyenforcement

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic

225/60HR16 Bridgestone G009's

Last time I checked I didn't look suspicious at all. No big wing... just wheels tint front bumper and fairly quiet exhaust.

I was doing NOTHING wrong, just driving down Randolph towards the Pike. He was pulled over in the far right lane of a 3 lane road with his lights on (he must have just ticketed someone else). I passed him in the far left lane, and as I passed him he turned his lights off and got behind me and 1/4 of a mile later pulled me over

I was kidding...hence the winking smiley face.

---------------------

Trying to argue it in court is pointless. You are guilty. The officer does not have to use a light meter and if you think the judge will care or the officer will be honest...you are wrong. Even if you change/remove the tint, don't lie and try and pass it off as on at the time. If you don't have documented proof it was that way prior...it won't fly. Only reason to change/remove is to ask mercy of the court to dismiss the charges because you rectified the problem. Much in the same way a person does when they end up with a suspended license stop and go to court with a license reinstated with receipts for such (and the proof that what suspended the license was satisfied).

Realistically, you need to evaluate how much effort is really needed in this...it is just window tint. Even if there are other charges.....what is the real impact in your overall life.

You need to leave the board.

I was kidding...hence the winking smiley face.

---------------------

Trying to argue it in court is pointless. You are guilty. The officer does not have to use a light meter and if you think the judge will care or the officer will be honest...you are wrong. Even if you change/remove the tint, don't lie and try and pass it off as on at the time. If you don't have documented proof it was that way prior...it won't fly. Only reason to change/remove is to ask mercy of the court to dismiss the charges because you rectified the problem. Much in the same way a person does when they end up with a suspended license stop and go to court with a license reinstated with receipts for such (and the proof that what suspended the license was satisfied).

Realistically, you need to evaluate how much effort is really needed in this...it is just window tint. Even if there are other charges.....what is the real impact in your overall life.

You need to leave the board.

Bingo. I still remember the day that hispanic woman had 4 citations: Driving without a License, Driving without Insurance, Driving with an unregistered Vehicle, driving with expired tags. The judge let her go scott-free, because the officer didn't show.

DO AS I SAY, NOT AS I DO!! :rolleyes:

See if the shop you got your tint at will give you a discount on lighter tints for your windows.

Archived