LegacyGT.com

Dilemma**I Need Expert or Experienced Advice** Please Chime In, & Help!!

why would the turbo seizes if you wouldn't want to beat the car up to death?

ofc you won't see topic like "Ok, my turbo is working great" in the forum (this has been repeated 1000 times). Only when it failed, ppl came here to ask questions.

a well-maintenance is more than enough to keep the car runs. I came from a both impreza 2.5i and legacy 2.5i owner... I cant tell you how much I regretted for not getting the turbo at the 1st time

good luck on your search

Chutrain; nah, I'm not an E30 M3 owner, but those are righteous rides... I've done a few meets here and there! Have done Lime Rock Bimmer meets in CT. I prolly have met those two guys your referring to as well! Wanna get involved with Tri-State subaru meets as well...prolly in the spring huh?

Gentle drive, no. That's the point of coasting or driving easy the last mile or so.

When I stop at a rest area on the interstate, I coast if possible, into the parking spot and shut it off. It's not like I let it idle every time before I shut it off.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The whole banjo bolt issue is overplayed. YES it causes some people's turbos to fail. If you stay on top of your oil changes (like I do every 3000 miles) and do not have some crazy ass list of mods, you will be fine and you will enjoy your reliable car for years and years.

I drove 80,000 with a banjo bolt and when the filter came out it was clean. Take yours out if you want peace of mind.

FYI for the new guy's. Do you know how to check the oil level in these cars?

I park at work on level ground. Pull the dipstick about 2", close the hood, go to work. Come out after work, open hood, wipe stick, then check oil level, top off as needed.

At home I let it sit at least 20 minutes.

Tranny, 5MT, kind of do the same thing to check the level. To drain the tranny, jack up the rear of the car then drain to get all (I think its) 2.8 qt's out.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

FYI for the new guy's. Do you know how to check the oil level in these cars?

I park at work on level ground. Pull the dipstick about 2", close the hood, go to work. Come out after work, open hood, wipe stick, then check oil level, top off as needed.

At home I let it sit at least 20 minutes.

Tranny, 5MT, kind of do the same thing to check the level. To drain the tranny, jack up the rear of the car then drain to get all (I think its) 2.8 qt's out.

I NEVER top off or add additional oil. That is because I am not losing oil anywhere. I have a hunch that whoever is having banjo bolt issues -whether mental or factual - also deals with other oil/lubrication issues on the car. Maybe they add oil at regular intervals. Maybe their turbo inlet is moist. Maybe their oil pressure is a bit low (too bad we do not have a sensor for that). Whatever the case, based on reading some accounts on this board - of people blowing two-three turbos - I feel that sometimes the banjo bolt is blamed for more than it's factual fault. And YES I am an advocate of taking it out espec. if you have S3+ mods.

We've owned six Subarus, both aspirated and not, and I have to say that John M. got it right back in post 7: unless you absolutely must have AWD, there's no reason to choose a NA Subaru over the competition. On the other hand, our GT and XT are cars that no one comes close to at this price point.

Aside from the annoyance of something Subaru did a recall on, we've had zero problems with any of our various turbo models (Forester XT, Outback XT, STi, LGT.B). And the LGT.B is at Stage II, and it's still rock solid. HPH

I NEVER top off or add additional oil. That is because I am not losing oil anywhere. I have a hunch that whoever is having banjo bolt issues -whether mental or factual - also deals with other oil/lubrication issues on the car. Maybe they add oil at regular intervals. Maybe their turbo inlet is moist. Maybe their oil pressure is a bit low (too bad we do not have a sensor for that). Whatever the case, based on reading some accounts on this board - of people blowing two-three turbos - I feel that sometimes the banjo bolt is blamed for more than it's factual fault. And YES I am an advocate of taking it out espec. if you have S3+ mods.

I'm sure my oil usage is rings and scored walls. Mine has see some aburse. I still have oem turbo and banjo, currently at 133,450 miles.

Yep, get the turbo. feels so good when it spools! That's one MAIN reason we drive a Subaru!

As for pampering our turbos, I would also add NOT to pass 3000 rpms while the engine is cold---in other words avoid spooling the turbo hard. Once the coolant temperature gauge needle is right below the half way point, then you are "ready to rumble"! ;)

I'll probably offend some 2.5i owners but the way I see it, the single thing the Legacy has for it is power potential. Take that away and there's really no compelling reason to own one unless you've just got to have an AWD car.

You forgot one more reason and THE reason I bought a 2.5i.... WAGON!

I sleep well at night knowing I have a reliable fuel efficient car and don't really regret not getting the turbo. Don't need it, don't miss it.

as much as the turbo appeals to me I'm going to buy a 2.5i for better mileage and reliability on my commute. Besides, I've test driven two different 2.5i legacy sedans with 5MT and both were fun to drive and neither were slow. Indie test drive an auto Outback and that was a bit sluggish. If you must have an auto then you should seriously consider the GT, but if your looking for manual then you don't need the turbo and without it you'll pay less at the pump and probably less maintenance. IMHO

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

The 5MT def gets you better performance when you want it than the AT. I test drove an auto 2.5i (coming from a 5MT Impreza 2.5RS) and was sorely dissapointed in the performance. I knew I wanted a bigger car, was pretty set on a Subaru and bought an LGT sight unseen. Loved it ever since.

However when I bought my Impreza, I tested a WRX and wasn't all too impressed with the difference from the two (but it was a 2.0T) that's why I went with the 2.5RS. Depending on your driving style an MT can truly make a difference.

Enjoy the car, save up your money and do it right the next time.

BTW I have 68k with ZERO non maintence issues, other than oil supply recall. I change my oil every 3-4k, sometimes sooner. Use OEM Subaru filters (they are cheaper than aftermarket) and switched to sythetic somewhere around 20k. And I haven't touched my damn Banjo Bolt. At some point I may pull it out to look at it, but I don't think it's going to be too bad. I seldom check my oil levels, as EVERY time I have changed my oil it has been good, so I don't lose any.

Now tires area whole other issue, I've busted 4 sidewalls so far. I envy you having taller sidewalls :lol: If I could I'd have a set of 15" steel winter rims....

I'm going to buy a 2.5i for better mileage and reliability on my commute. WRONG!

My 98GT and 00GT got the same mpg as my 05GT at stage 2 18psi. My friends 05 Outback 2.5i gets the same mpg as I do.

The stealership told her she would get 24-26mpg. I laught and told her, no you won't...

I'm going to buy a 2.5i for better mileage and reliability on my commute. WRONG!

My 98GT and 00GT got the same mpg as my 05GT at stage 2 18psi. My friends 05 Outback 2.5i gets the same mpg as I do.

The stealership told her she would get 24-26mpg. I laught and told her, no you won't...

Actually, from what I've seen with real use a 2.5i 5MT can easily get 30MPG. And yes, stage 2 does often yield better MPG than stock or stage 1, but you spend more $$ to get there.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Took off work yesterday...& 3 dealerships later the deal was brokered last night! After driving from NYC to Hartford CT, then to Utica NY I put down my deposit for 2008 Black Ext. Black Int. 2.5GT Baby! Pick it on Thursday! Pretty psyched. Thank you guys so much for the help and advice, its really appreciated, the feedback from actual owners provided me with the confidence to buy this and to share this vehicle with a woman who breaks everything she touches! LOL, nah ...I feel really welcomed on this forum already! Thank you to everyone! FYI: Black '08 LGT, 71k, under $13,500.

Does anyone have the part number (Or know where to find it) (local dealer can't find it either) for the Legacy 2005-2009 OEM in dash NAV System, as well as the plastic vent covering for the NAV? Gonna install myself if I can get the part numbers...can't find the numbers on the net! The 2 parts can be seen here 2/3 the way down the page! Simply the NAV, and the Vent Cover:

http://www.motortrendsonline.com/vehicle/used-2008-subaru-legacy-25-gt-limited-navigation-543027.cfml

OP congrat's on your pruchase.

Actually, from what I've seen with real use a 2.5i 5MT can easily get 30MPG. And yes, stage 2 does often yield better MPG than stock or stage 1, but you spend more $$ to get there.

I have gotten 30mpg for short times after filling up and getting on the highway.

Archived