LegacyGT.com

baby in shop bad turbo... new car?? thoughts?

So after hearing some rattling, squeaking, and other funky junk under hood, I took it in. Maestro Subaru in Sanford (Orlando) says the turbo is bad with front to back motion and is scoring the housing. They quote me 1700.00 for replacement stock.:lol: Wife is apesheeeeet about the cost:mad: and says lets trade it in for something else that's nonturbo. We have been looking at Maximas, and that's about all we've found for the price. Have 2 kids that need to fit in back. Been looking at vf52's to replace said turbo as I really don't want to give up my baby. 57k on the clock and stoptech front brakes installed within the year. Any thoughts? What is a reasonable cost to replace with vf52? Running stage 2.5438 PDX tune with up &down and typhoon intake. Could really use some input from the "gang".

you need to find a local garage. That should cost 1000 TOPS to replace especially if you can source a used one. Either way, even if you DID spend 1,700, it would probably be cheaper than buying a new car once costs are considered "all up."

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

yeah..find a local shop or DIY. I did mine with help from another on the board. I spent $350 for a turbo with 18k on it.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Thanks for the input. Spoke to Bryan in 'Bama about the BNR turbos. Might be going with the 18g. Off work today to scour around at other cars too.:hide: (Put the handguns down slowly) Did look at an 2011 WRX sedan yesterday. Made me smile, but don't miss the stick in Orlando traffic. Only have 57k on the car and has been paid off for a while so the turbo route makes sense. Car payments suck. Does anyone have a BNR turbo(18G) with similar setup? Typhoon intake, catless up & down, Accessport pDX Tune 2.457649576357

I'm having a BNR 18G installed with some other goodies installed as we speak. I'll let you know how it performs in a couple days :-). Oh and I wouldn't give up on the Subi man....you have lots of life left on that ride, but I can see you're in a bit of a situation so I completely understand.

I take it they wont cover you under the warranty? 6y/60k

If you upgrade the turbo you will most likely need injectors, fuel pump, and a tune. $$$$+

If you are trying to get out of this as cheaply as possible i would source a used vf40/vf46 for $300-400 and do the install yourself, or pay a shop to do it. I think its only 3-4 hours labor.

^^ What he said. Remember the supporting mods required for bigger turbos. I'm going with the 18G (hopefully it won't destroy my trans right away) and I'm getting a AVO TMIC, 750cc injectors, and fuel pump.

Yep thats right, and I forgot intercooler, I dont know your mods, but a bigger turbo would need a better then stock intercooler.

Archived