LegacyGT.com

Engine stays revved when clutch is in.

Well if it has to do with the shifting and not just the revving I know my problem at the moment is my flywheel causing my car basically to be in gear 24/7. example: Romp on the skinny pedal till top of 1st and clutch and put in neutral and its as if the car is still in 1st gear. Car lurches forward and all that cool jazz as if its still in first. Plus I cant downshift without rev matching and even then its hard to get it perfect cuz itll just grind.

Sadly, a mechanic is either going to say it's very expensive and it only really costs the guy the price of a zip tie, or be honest and charge you for a diagnostic and be up front that it will cost "x" amount of dollars. I would take it to a tuner subie store because they might be more familiar with the car and want to earn your subie business.

Sometimes this happens to me, but it generally happens after some seriously spirited driving where I've gone through several full throttle pulls. I always assumed that this was excess fuel keeping the rpms high. Could that be the case? Under normal driving conditions, I dont' notice anything abnormal; rpms drop pretty quickly...
lol

Just another guess... have you launched your car recently(ever)? how does your clutch feel?

The clutch does feel a little funky sometimes. It'll sputter releasing into first, but it rarely ever happens. When I was stuck in really bad stop and go traffic after a long drive, my clutch sputtered a lot and started to smoke. Since then a mechanic said my clutch felt fine and that it might just have been too hot.

The clutch does feel a little funky sometimes. It'll sputter releasing into first, but it rarely ever happens. When I was stuck in really bad stop and go traffic after a long drive, my clutch sputtered a lot and started to smoke. Since then a mechanic said my clutch felt fine and that it might just have been too hot.

Well, with 80k miles, if you have ever launched it or ride the clutch, it could be your clutch is nearly out or sticking and that may have something to do with ur problem, should take it to a shop to check out.

im a tech for toyota and some of there stick cars will do that to reduce emissions, it will hold the rpms for a couple sec, it will also help you have a smoother shift. if the throttle plate slams shut the A/F ratio will be way rich and there will be unburned fuel in the cylinder. if it just started doin it then that probably isnt it but just thought i would through it out there

Hello,

I have a 2005 legacy gt with just under 80K miles. When I press the clutch in and let off the gas, the engine stays revved and slowly drops until I let out the clutch again. It doesn't happen in every gear change and I notice it more in lower gears. Any ideas of what might be causing this?

Thanks,

This is a well known and documented issue for which a TSB exists, as the dealer must reflash your ECU for free, as per TSB 11.89.09

BTW, don 't listen to folks who say "don't fix it, if it ain't broken" because for idle to stick when depressing a clutch is NOT normal.

This is a well known and documented issue for which a TSB exists, as the dealer must reflash your ECU for free, as per TSB 11.89.09

BTW, don 't listen to folks who say "don't fix it, if it ain't broken" because for idle to stick when depressing a clutch is NOT normal.

Thanks ted, I'm having a hard time finding this specific TSB. Is there a site I can go to to reference it?

I've been looking through this site, but I cant find 11.89.09.

http://www.automd.com/recall-tsb/search/?m=Subaru&mm=Legacy&y=2005

Archived