LegacyGT.com

just bought this IPR tmic

MDKSDMF

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ya its in all the way. the compressor housing has studs and nuts instead of the oem bolts that hold the tmic to the turbo. i had to slot the bracket to get it to fit. maybe i messed up and thats why i slotted the bracket to get it to reach and secure the TMIC but so far everything seems to hold up and builds boost no leaks. i think if i use a longer bracket nut and some spacers the tmic wont clunk off the CMC wen i takeoff in the mornings and all will be ok. heres a pic of the studs instead of bolts

http://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/b468/Fearless_French/69352_1534971548220_1652785095_1246692_404841_n.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Uggh I am pissed now....I had my car in the other day to have the clutch replaced and now the IC is hitting the CMC. I don't know what or how they did it, but the IC sits lower and is hitting. I have to check if they lost a spacer....hopefully I can add one or two more to lift it up so it clears. I know it fit before and now it is hitting.

I actually just looked at them and they tightened the shit out of them, they are all crunched and deformed. Looks like two new ones on there and I should be set. I just want to drive this damn thing and enjoy the new found power, but the man keeps holding me down!!

me too. my cars been in the body shop since dec 17th and my insurance has been taking their sweet ass time determining the damage :( so im assuming u also got the spacers at the stealership as well? im planning on going over there soon as i get my car back to acquire the bolt and spacers.

Yeah they actually put the IC on for me. The place that installed the clutch went crazy on tightening them back up when they reinstalled, which basically defeated all of the benefit of the spacers. I might stop by the dealer tomorrow or just go to the hardware store, there is nothing automotive about this part. It is simply the bolt, then a metal washer, rubber spacer, then thru the IC mounting hole, another rubber spacer, then thru the metal bracket on the car with the nut underneath.

Can you post a better picture of your bolt setup? I'd like to know what to expect!
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

To clarify, what was used on the right side mount is just a big rubber grommet, pushed into the mounting slot on the IC. A metal washer with a bolt sleeve(don't know the actual term for it) was inserted into the grommet, to keept the hole round I would imagine. Then the regular bolt was used to fasten, no nut underneath.

Now, my issue is that for the last month or more, the IC was on fine with zero issues. The car went in for the clutch replacement and ever since then the IC will not clear the CMC. It looks like it sits lower now for some reason. No matter what I do, once you tighten it down to the turbo the whole thing lowers down and bumps the CMC.

I am no mechanic, so I am asking, does a clutch install require moving or loosening the turbo; and if so, is the turbo mounting such that it can has a little bit of room for play when tightening it to whatever it mounts to? I just find it very odd that it fits fine before the clutch job, but not even close after.

If it stays the way it is, I will have to put the oem IC back on.

Yeah they pulled the tmic, and I took the bolt out of the grommet and it bounced back to normal shape. I reinstalled everything and it was sitting fine, but when I tighten down the turbo side, it just brings the whole TMIC down to a level that doesn't clear the cmc anymore. All I know is that it cleared before the clutch job, but not after.

• 3 weeks later...

hey tonight i took the grommet out of the intercooler slot and placed it under the tab, using it as a spacer. I also put two washer underneath the grommet. I Used a long Bolt with a nut and washer on top and used the tightening nut to pinch down the intercooler. it worked well and i have to say theres about an eight of clearance now. Car runs mint thus far. No clunks. I also found a website that makes spacers that are nylon/poly like material that i think might work well and look beter than the grommet trick and or a stack of washers. This grommet trick was covered in another thread but i forgot about it and thought id share my experience tonight. Heres the link for the spacers

http://www.boltdepot.com/spacers.aspx

heres the pics of my intercooler as of tonight

http://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/b468/Fearless_French/IMAG0445.jpg

http://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/b468/Fearless_French/IMAG0447.jpghttp://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/b468/Fearless_French/IMAG0450.jpg

it sits a just a little crooked but it is air tight and installed finally with no issues. I didnt use the most conventional methods but i couldnt have done it without all the ipr tmic threads on here =) soo happy this isnt a concern any more. knock on wood'

lol i installed mine today. and a test drive proved all sorts of problems. haha that plexi gasket is retarded. im for sure getting that chevy one. and im thinking about ordering the avo TB hose. would you guys recommend it?. o and i have a carbing strut tower bar. and that mofo is in the way hardcore. fml

The AVO is nice but tight. Make sure you use some kind of lube to make sure it slides on all the way. I would definitely get the Mr. Gasket gasket. Plexiglass can't form a great seal. Remove the strut tower bar prior ti sliding in the intercooler. All you have to do is remove the two screws with an allen key and wrench. I'm running with Cusco strut bar and have no clearance issue.

I got it in. But it is rubbing I think. Anoth3er issue was that the BPV stripped out instantly. And I have a major leak.......I just bought the mr. Gasket. But then the flange on the turbo stripped out:( fml.

mine did that too....used the helicoil stuff to fix it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived