LegacyGT.com

just bought this IPR tmic

MDKSDMF

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Meh, not everyone wants an FMIC. Plus, $550 shipped is more than I paid for my IPR TMIC.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

So, what do you guys think of this top mount after install? I have most everything I need minus a few gaskets for my stg2 setup. Last big piece is a top mount. Are you happy with what you have or would you go back and spend the extra $250 or so for an AVO/other? Keep in mind there's some sales right now available so pricing is a little more competitive than the usual MSRP.

I'm quite happy. I've retuned a bit for it and am running a fair amount of boost through it. The slight fitment fix I had to do doesn't seem to have had any adverse effect as of yet. For the price (with Swain coating) I'd definitely make the same choice again. I believe I would have had the same problems with the Perrin for more money. I'm not sure on the AVO but it was too pricey to even be in contention for me. I gave some brief thought to the ebay TMIC method but after seeing the price on this it just made sense to go this route, especially with BNR now supplying us with low cost bolt on turbo choices.

I wonder what the problem with fitment really is. Is it the flange angle at the turbo outlet?

I wonder if I could just clamp the IC on the mill and use an end-mill to get the angle right.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Not at all. Got the engine cover back on as well with no trimming. It's not attached with plastic clips, but it locks itself in around the intercooler. The hood holds it from moving at all and even when popping the hood you still need to pry the cover off.

How did you get the cover back on?? I have the IC on but could not quite get the cover to fit back on. If I pushed it on top of the IC, the end closest to the front wanted to stick up. Did you use any force to do it? I was trying not to be too rough and break something.

Mine looks to be on with no issues, I don't remember how the stock one fit over on the right side, but now there is just a little gap of clearance between the IC and cap. Also, there looks to be some sort of riser/bolt that lifts it a little, again not sure if that was there with the stocker as well. Here are a few pics.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/rock2534/12022010809.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/rock2534/12022010810.jpg

How did you get the cover back on?? I have the IC on but could not quite get the cover to fit back on. If I pushed it on top of the IC, the end closest to the front wanted to stick up. Did you use any force to do it? I was trying not to be too rough and break something.

I just set it back on and the hood holds it in. In my case, it tucks into the front of the intercooler and seems to lock itself on pretty well without the clips. Once the hood is down though it makes a good seal on the cover which can be seen by the clean area where the hood scoop touches the cover.

that doesnt look like the stock bracket bolt to me...looks like its longer to allow for adjustments

I was thinking that myself, but I didn't pay attention to what was on the stock one. I guess they did that to make it work, sits very level...probably not a bad idea for people getting this IC to pick one up.

What kind of spacer is that underneath?

I will probably use a longer bolt and put a nut and pair of washers beneath it. That should do the trick, I would think.

It is just a quarter inch rubber spacer. There are two of them, one under the washer on top, and one beneath the IC and mount bracket. It sits great, but there is no way the engine cover is going back on without trimming it. I saw someone else had theirs on, but that thing is not going on for me.

• 1 month later...

I installed this a couple weeks ago. I had the hardest time with it at first. Finally got smart and put a film of oil around the throttle body connector and it finally slid fully into the throttle body hose. So far no rubbing issues on the clutch cylinder that I can hear and it looks like decent clearance.

I used the Mr. Gasket idea over the plexi glass part provided and also did the mod to the support bracket. The support bracket bolted to both intake manifold attach points. I also opted for an AVO throttle body tube. This intercooler also fits with a Cusco strut tower bar and Zero/Sports intercooler splitter. I'm not running the engine cover.

One note, the BOV flange threads got stripped after one time. I had to drill and helicoil repair those holes. But I had the car pressure tested and no leaks, so I'm happy. :)

734631837_enginebay.jpg.a4a8e2c88dea5bbdd88c3307eefb4aa0.jpg

444837406_Enginebay2.thumb.jpg.fdce96bc387ae9a803764e1f880b9d25.jpg

It is just a quarter inch rubber spacer. There are two of them, one under the washer on top, and one beneath the IC and mount bracket.

that seems like an easier fix than the threaded bolt/riser trick. im attempting this ASAP.. did u get the spacer at lowes etc? and how long a bolt/ stud do i need (inches) i can always just make a stud by cutting a bolt.

that seems like an easier fix than the threaded bolt/riser trick. im attempting this ASAP.. did u get the spacer at lowes etc? and how long a bolt/ stud do i need (inches) i can always just make a stud by cutting a bolt.

I couldn't find the right thread pitch at Lowes to use a longer bolt and spacer, so I got something close to the same size diameter and then tapped the hole. I think it was a M8 1.25 by 1.5" that I replaced with a M8 1.0 by 2".

I went and looked at lunchtime and it looked like I have about 1/8" clearance and with no spacer.

yes i even get a CH of clearance but a clunk when i leave in first...but only get the clunk one time :lol: i been researching the rod and nut adjuster but cant seem to find the right threaded rod..lowes/hdepot didnt have so i think i need a longer nut for the same style spacer. ur method is new and i think im gonna give it a shot

%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A//i1046.photobucket.com/albums/b468/Fearless_French/CIMG0061.jpg[/img]

Believe it or not, I got it from the dealer, I was there for something else and had them take a quick look. I can measure the bolt if you want.

Archived