LegacyGT.com

just bought this IPR tmic

MDKSDMF

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmm, the AVO TB hose doesn't fit?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

re-installed tmic with my new AVO tb hose. I reused the supplied white gasket. The install was much easier with the AVO hose since its a touch longer than stock, and the hose seals up real nice. I picked up some new clamps and the hose hasnt budged after a few WOT pulls. I suggest the AVO throttle body hose with this TMIC.

%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A//i1046.photobucket.com/albums/b468/Fearless_French/CIMG0060.jpg[/img]

http://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/b468/Fearless_French/CIMG0061.jpg

I also studded the turbo compressor housing holes which made it easier for me to mount the intercooler as i didnt have to line up the bolt holes and i was able to get a solid seal without having to worry about stripping the turbo's threads.

http://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/b468/Fearless_French/69352_1534971548220_1652785095_1246692_404841_n.jpg

Good idea on inserting a stud into the turbo MDKSDMF. Glad the AVO hose worked too, I have one waiting to go on when I go to do the whole install!
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

thanks. i figured i would eliminate the risk of destroying the turbo threads and since the gasket was suspect i really wanted to make sure i could crank it down and make a seal. so far so good. I think with the studs tho u eliminate a little wiggle room nd thats why if u look at my brace its far from the stock location. hehehe i get a slight clunk against the CMC when leaving in 1st gear when the motors cold. strange thing is it doesnt happen again in 1st gear after the car is warm....weird. im gonna do the stud and nut trickaroo to eliminate that problem once i can get some free time.

• 3 weeks later...

got this tmic today and tried to just throw it on to see if it would fit.

after 40 minutes i gave up. i mean i got it on (it was tight), but didn't think the trottle body hose was on too good and as i suspected had a small leak when driving it around. i suspect the longer avo hose will do some good since i need some clearance up front. i don't think pulling the cap off will solve my problems since what i need is more clearance.

looks like a great tmic tho. did anyone have to trim the engine cover with this thing on? i saw one guy who had it just snap into place or something without any popits.

you do not NEED to use the AVO hose, but it may help, did you rotate the stock hose at all?

got this tmic today and tried to just throw it on to see if it would fit.

after 40 minutes i gave up. i mean i got it on (it was tight), but didn't think the trottle body hose was on too good and as i suspected had a small leak when driving it around. i suspect the longer avo hose will do some good since i need some clearance up front. i don't think pulling the cap off will solve my problems since what i need is more clearance.

looks like a great tmic tho. did anyone have to trim the engine cover with this thing on? i saw one guy who had it just snap into place or something without any popits.

When I installed my Perrin one the throttle body hose was barely on and it was a b***h to get into place. when I went in again and removed the cape everything fit so much better. cant tell you why. but might be worth trying.

spent 2+ hour playing with it the first install and it sat like crap...

went back and in 30 minutes or so pulled it off, removed the cap, and put it back on and it was sooo much easier and better fitting

haha thanks demo. yeah i've read your posts about your ordeal. if you remove the cap, it's off for good, right? i'm only hesitant because it appears when i was trying to get the thing to fit today that i actually need a longer hose for it to sit properly. i could be wrong.

i'll have another look at it on thanksgiving when i'll more time to just mess around. 40 minutes today was enough for me. maybe i just lack the patience you have :p

Oh i was pissed the first time i put mine on cause it fit like crap....

the cap on mine came off real clean and easily and with a little bit of spray glue i could probably re-attach it. but i also did it in the head of summer on a slightly warm engine, I have heard of others having a bit of trouble with theirs, but im sure if your patient you could probably get it off cleanly. I thought I needed a longer one too and was looking online that night at the AVO one, but decided to give removing the cap a try and it fit soo much better.

you may have seen it but http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/perrin-tmic-install-issues-141291.html

if you look at the pictures you can compare the silver part showing on the TMIC and where the hose sat before I removed the cap and then after you can see how much deeper the TMIC sits in the throttle body hose. another thing you can use are the few paint chips.

I have also read thought that the AVO hose helps a bunch and adds some bling to your engine bay. I also only removed the cap on the TMIC side, some people remove them from both sides.

So has anybody had it go on with no issues, or easily? I had my car in to a local subie shop on Mon to install the dp and IC, they got the dp on but could not make the IC fit. I have to take the car to the dealer tomorrow for some warranty work, and gonna ask them to take a crack at it. I do not want to mess with it myself, so hopefully they can make it work.

It sounds like quite a few people have gotten them installed, so I am just wondering what the standard procedure should be??

I had to remove and reinstall mine to do a clutch/flywheel last weekend. I gave an attempt at getting it to fit better but still had clutch master cylinder clearance problems and had to put the threaded dowel back in.

As far as slipping it into the TB hose, if you use a bit of dishsoap in water and rub a bit on the inside of the TB hose as well as the corresponding area on the intercooler it will slip right in with no hassle.

None of this sounds very promising. I was hoping this intercooler would fit better than the Perrin POS.

It's really not that bad. The only issue you will possibly face imo is CMC clearance. Some do and some don't. If you do, it's not that big of a deal to raise it an inch with the threaded dowel trick or some other method. With my new clutch broken in I put my WGDC back to 90 from 0 and am holding 19+ psi without issues and my engine cover fits too.

Archived