LegacyGT.com

Quick in and an Even Faster Out

O boy did my luck change in a matter of hours the past two days. Found what I thought to be a great 05 LGT in NH for sale. had 100k miles on the body was in great shape, went for a test drive (a quick simple one to make sure all the buttons and such worked drove it as hard as i could on the road which didnt really suit that type of driving) got the carfax and it looked clean no accidents regular maintenance at local subaru dealers from day one. Bought the car (Im from MA) and drove it home and thats when the Migraine started. One the highway at 50-55mph in 5th and i floor it, hit boost and boom right to 6K. My head just hangs and i go GREAT clutch is shot, shift to 4th same thing happens hit boost right to 6K, each gear same issue and the all tell sign the smell of slipping clutch. Since there is no Lemon Law in NH i was like great im screwed. Based on the carfax, my limited automobile knowledge and the fact that the dealer claims to have done through the car and my research on the car, we thought the car was in good condition. We had 7 days to pick up the warranty options as well. Call the dealer about the clutch and hope hey out of good faith a common business sense we could work something out and get the issue fixed. They say bring it in so we can look at it the whole nine. While im at work my mother called Acton, MA subaru just for shits n giggles and the guy on the other line had to pick his jaw up of the ground because he cant beleive this car was sold. Apparently he worked on the car after the previous owner parted ways with it at his dealer ship. After going through the car he claims and stated to us that the heads were shot, a piston was fried, the block was cracked, the turbo was about dead and o yea the clutch useless. So now we are in quite the dilemma cause NH law doesnt protect the buyer like MA, we cant go back and get our money due to the lack of Lemon Law. We are now stuck legally as far as we know, our only option appears to purchase the warranty and hope that our claim goes through and every thing can be taken care of that way with new or slightly used parts. As fast as i was excited, i was brought down even faster. Sadly looks like i will have learned the hardest way but a reminder to all be picky and look into every single thing from all angles and let this be a lesson to all for all cars.

its such a mess man and im stuck there is nothing i can do...had i bought it in MA id have 10K cash back by now and be looking for a different LGT. instead im tryn to get this straight and salvage a situation that is so haywire i cant think straight. Somethings got to give. Its sucks cause i work my ass off to try and support myself, just graduate college this past may and my current car situation is not good so thats why i was looking for LGT's. My parents helped alot i pitched in with as much as i could and now we are stuck in quicksand. The previous owner really beat up this motor and tranny, it blows my mind how a person can beat their car into that kind of condition

Any more info on the car? $10k is pretty cheap for an LGT depending on the mileage and mods. From what I've read and what LGTs have been selling for, I would have to assume something was wrong or there were some issues with a 4th gen LGT going for only $10k.
It's cool; I'm with the band

Unless I'm misinformed, Lemon Law wouldn't have applied here. You weren't buying a new car, and it didn't have to go back to the dealer for warranty work 3 times for the same problem. As far as I know, those are the guidelines for the Lemon Law, unless it varies by states.

So, maybe that will make you feel a little better knowing that your state wouldn't have mattered. Probably not though, that sucks man. :(

When I lived in Boston I bought all my cars from NH, look at this way, the money you saved in taxes and other fees put it towards the engine, these cars are common in the NE, you should be able to find a Engine and tranny for it at a junk yard. Make the best out of this situation, man. This forum is full of great information and the Subaru crowd happens to be one of the tightest in the automotive world. I’m sure people will help you out, I would.

Mine had a Honda axle seal in the front diff/transmission which drained dry on the 200 mile trip home. Still trying to figure out how to prove that their "repair" could have ruined every bearing and gear in my transmission.

If the dealership was aware of the condition of the car and chose to sell it anyway you should be able to get your money back. Get a lawyer, find out who the guy in anton told about it, and get your money back. On the other hand with that much damage to the engine it would run poorly. Maybe it got fixed.

Unless I'm misinformed, Lemon Law wouldn't have applied here. You weren't buying a new car, and it didn't have to go back to the dealer for warranty work 3 times for the same problem. As far as I know, those are the guidelines for the Lemon Law, unless it varies by states.

There's a used car lemon law, that in some states provides mandatory warranty coverage. Except it rarely mandates anything on the car with 100k miles.

I'm with AShoe on this one. If one dealer knew the car was bad, then obviously another dealer would have know. See what the dealer says first, give them a chance to make it right. If they blow you off. Call them and tell them you found out the car had serious previous damage and you are considering legal action. Maybe their tune will change, or maybe they'll call your bluff....

Either way I hope you get something figured out.

Update.....we are purchasing an extended warranty and based on what the dealer has told me we should be able to get everything fixed under the warranty, but the tranny for some reason despite the literature in the warranty stating it is covered. He must be assuming that in 15 mins of driving it home and the 20 min test drive prior I smoked the clutch. Ive never driven anything automatic so im certain it was not driver error. NH law states that there is no protection at all for the purchaser despite prior knowledge of issues. We have attacked this from all angles, contacted the dealership where the car was purchased in 2005, which is where according to the carfax all listed maintenance was done. They told us they fixed the car to the extent of making it run. From there they sent the car to auction (whether the issues stated by the Subaru dealer were mentioned at auction are unknown) then this dealer purchased the car (they say they are unaware of any issues at all). Thats where we are now and hoping. I need some serious inquires on this topic. If we get everything covered under warranty would you keep the car and drive it? or fix it and sell it due to thoughts of serious problems down the road?

It's cheap and easy to change the rear diff oil, put 75-90W in it. Subaru Extra-S is the preferred oil. Or check with the guy's at Fredbeans a vendor on this site.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

thanks for that information......i wanna do a compression test on the motor too cause if there is a problem with the piston(s) under this warranty (any internal lubricated part) i should be covered for a new Block and New Heads. whats normal for 2005 GT piston comp?

Not sure what's normal but you need to have all four within 15% I think is the norm. Seems like a normal number is 165-175.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Honestly, I'm not sure extended warranty would solve your problems. Those guys are in business to make money. So you are likely to be denied most of the coverage. They'll say that you abused the car, so it broke and cover squat. Or have some other legal clause not to cover.

Going after dealer is also unlikely to yield anything, since they'll claim they were an honest buyer of a car at the auction and knew nothing.

You can try to sue of course if you like.

Wow dude. That's terrible news. I bought my 05 gt limited for $9,100 with 98xxx miles from a dealer two hours away. Thankfully though, mine is running awesome(knock on wood)

This was a list I made up on my phone to check everything, took me over an hour to inspect everything before purchasing. For safe keeping, I went to a suby dealer and paid $90 to inspect the car after I bought it, lol. The only thing I missed were some worn bushing on the suspension.

With engine OFF

-Turbo -check shaft for *play- check any oil leak

- check coolant level and color on radiator

- belt wear and tear

- look around the bay and engine for oil leaks around seals

With engine ON

-Check engine oil, a dark gold color

-Check battery for corrosion*

-Check rubber hoses

-Check brake fluid ( yellow tint )

-Check powersteering fluid ( reddish, clear)*

-check* resevor *( green, not milky with oil

-Check trans fluid ( reddish, not black)

-Listen to engine noise and see if any *shaking ( missing cyl) look for ticking noises*

** * *Press the gas pedal*

-Check bottom of radiator for leaks, dents

-Check exhaust for Rich black deposits*

-Check inside cv boots , shouldn't be worn or torn

-Check shocks for oily leaks

-Check bottom of engine/ trans for oil leaks ( between the eng and trans )

-Check inner tire thread for even wear

Body

-Dash light - abs, check engine, airbag must turn on when starting

-Check all vins on body panel ( any overspray) paint lines, aligned panels

-Check hinges of door , check for play and movement

-Check seats and that they slide ( accident)

-Check lights, turn, horn, radio, speakers

- press the brakes ( firm)

- check the trunk and spare wheel

- look for signs of water damage*

- check storage compartments for papers and manual

- check for mono short shifter

-After a/c is on full blast, *check for the compressor do see how often the clutch engages

-Ask if timing belt and water pump has been changed

- ask for service records*

-Drive on hwy, let go of steering wheel to see if it pulls*

-Check for hollow sound while driving ( bad wheel bearing)

-Accelerate hard to see If engine is still smooth

-Check the clutch and transmission shifting (should glide easy)

- check guards and reading ( engine temp and oil press. )

yea i know i need to look at the engine first however we are responsible now to fix the clutch since it is a wear n tear item not covered by the clutch. We get the clutch fixed i can take it to a mechanic and we can go through the car, and if it grenades on the way there ill b covered under the warranty. ACT Clutch with 06+ WRX Flywheel correct?

Archived