LegacyGT.com

turbo question

ok so i got a few questions... how easy is it to turbo a 2.5l, 98 legacy? are they easy to find? Is it expensive. Is it not a good engine to turbo? sorry for all the questions... but i thought it would be a fun car to turbo and i couldnt find much on google.

• I Donated

The reason its a bad motor to turbo is because its an open deck motor. They are known to blow up when you slap a turbo on them.

You can get a JDM STI engine - ecu (computer) and wiring harness - 6 speed transmission - rear end package on ebay for less then 7 grand. You can buy a domestic WRX or STI thats been wrecked for less then 5 grand and just swap over the drive line.

If you were to do a WRX or STI swap, just about everything is direct bolt up. You will have to do a little bit of custom wiring and shorten the driveshaft a few inches.

Its not a good idea to do just the motor side of things - your transmission isn't able to handle much more power then its taking stock. An STI transmission is good up to about 320 horsepower, so its a good transmission to use if you decide to do some sort of turbo swap.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

EJ22's can be boosted with good results and hold up just fine. Many people have reported boosting the N/A Ej22 on 5-6 PSI. But it does cost money to fix it if you break it.

And did you just say the STI Trans is only good up to 320Horses?.......I cried

^^^

Did you mean 2.5L heads on a 2.2L block? That would make more sense to me.

ok so i got a few questions... how easy is it to turbo a 2.5l, 98 legacy?

Hard. In fact, if you have to ask you probably should leave the car alone. Its more expensive than anything else, if you want to do it right that is.

are they easy to find?

You can buy a shitty knock off Mitsubishi on eBay for $50. Personally, I wouldn't even trust those if I were using it to make one of those science project jet turbine engines. The real stuff is just as easy to find, but far more costly.

Is it expensive.

To do it right it is. You can do it the simple way and just plumb up hoses, get a knock of turbo and intercooler from eBay and hook everything up with second hand WRX parts for cheap, but your motor will probably only last about 7,000 miles. That's okay though, since the shitty eBay turbo will probably blow up after 2,000 miles anyway.

Is it not a good engine to turbo?

No. Its an open deck engine with weak head gaskets. You can buy custom pistons or custom head gaskets that will lower the compression ratio to safe levels, but that still doesn't solve the problem of having a weak top end. If you did it right the motor wouldn't be horrible, but you still wouldn't be able to run the same boost as a ground up sleeved/decked shortblock build could. If you're just going to buy headers, a turbo, an intercooler, and all the other bits and toss it on your stock engine then you're going to destroy the car.

sorry for all the questions... but i thought it would be a fun car to turbo and i couldnt find much on google.

Archived