LegacyGT.com

Synthetic required 2011 turbo and Forester

Beanboy

Subaru Synthetic Oil

Subaru now has their own brand synthetic oil

Available 5w-30 and 0w-20

Quart and Gallon containers

New, available starting August 2010.

Required in (statement effective July 2010)

5w-30 synthetic is required for all 2011 turbo engines

0w-20 synthetic is required for the 2011 Forester 2.5L non turbo, this is the only non-turbo that requires synthetic

Err, if a non-synthetic oil meets specs, will dealers try to deny coverage because non-synthetic was used? Typical Forester owner going to realize it requires synthetic?

• 3 weeks later...
And to think my dealer told me explicitly (when I wanted them to use synthetic and pay more for it) that I SHOULD NOT use synthetic oil in my LGT, it is not recommended.

Things that make you go :confused: !!! I asked when I bought my 10LGT and they said it does not need it. So maybe the 2011's have more power??? :lol:

I started having them put the subaru brand synthetic in mine anyway. Wish I knew which oil was really better.

Things that make you go :confused: !!! I asked when I bought my 10LGT and they said it does not need it. So maybe the 2011's have more power??? :lol:

I started having them put the subaru brand synthetic in mine anyway. Wish I knew which oil was really better.

My first thought: A way to drive up profits by making your "own" more expensive oil (that's probably honda oil w/ a subaru sticker on it or something equally dumb), and requiring it to be used on cars that probably don't need it!

If it REALLY was a mechanical necessity, don't you think a TSB would be issued for all the '10 LGT models that are identical in every way? (Whoops, forgot the folding mirrors).....:rolleyes:

I call corporate shenanigans!

Subaru Synthetic Oil

Subaru now has their own brand synthetic oil

Available 5w-30 and 0w-20

Quart and Gallon containers

New, available starting August 2010.

Required in (statement effective July 2010)

5w-30 synthetic is required for all 2011 turbo engines

0w-20 synthetic is required for the 2011 Forester 2.5L non turbo, this is the only non-turbo that requires synthetic

Err, if a non-synthetic oil meets specs, will dealers try to deny coverage because non-synthetic was used? Typical Forester owner going to realize it requires synthetic?

The dealer will have no idea what kind of oil you've been using in your car.

Question: Does the turbo on the 5th gen have the banjo bolt that could get clogged? I think the 3750 oil change interval is also a warranty issue with the 5th gen because of the TSBs below still apply.

Because of this, I think using synthetics would still require change every 3750. Can anyone confirm this?

Service Bulletin #02-106-08R Bulletin Description: It is possible that the turbo oil supply mesh filter, which is located inside the banjo bolt that secures the turbocharger oil supply pipe to the back of the right side cylinder head, may become clogged thereby preventing oil supply to the turbo resulting in failure. Therefore it is required that this filter screen be checked for obstructions any time a Turbocharger is being replaced for a failure.

Service Bulletin #02-103-07R Bulletin Description: This bulletin is for informational purposes only. Turbocharged engines require proper maintenance especially when the vehicle is used under severe driving conditions, such as moderate to hard acceleration and engine braking on a somewhat regular basis. In any case, it is recommended that the engine oil and filter be changed every 3,750 miles (6,000 km) or 3-3/4 months.

Question: Does the turbo on the 5th gen have the banjo bolt that could get clogged? I think the 3750 oil change interval is also a warranty issue with the 5th gen because of the TSBs below still apply.

Because of this, I think using synthetics would still require change every 3750. Can anyone confirm this?

Service Bulletin #02-106-08R Bulletin Description: It is possible that the turbo oil supply mesh filter, which is located inside the banjo bolt that secures the turbocharger oil supply pipe to the back of the right side cylinder head, may become clogged thereby preventing oil supply to the turbo resulting in failure. Therefore it is required that this filter screen be checked for obstructions any time a Turbocharger is being replaced for a failure.

Service Bulletin #02-103-07R Bulletin Description: This bulletin is for informational purposes only. Turbocharged engines require proper maintenance especially when the vehicle is used under severe driving conditions, such as moderate to hard acceleration and engine braking on a somewhat regular basis. In any case, it is recommended that the engine oil and filter be changed every 3,750 miles (6,000 km) or 3-3/4 months.

Those TSB's, and whether or not to use synthetic, both have nothing to do with the service interval. The fact that it's a turbo, driven in severe conditions, that's what the interval is for, not the type of oil you're using.

A TSB advising to use synthetic oil needs to actually say so to be effective.

Archived