LegacyGT.com

Newb: grouding head unit and amps...

IanKen

Been searcing the net looking for the definitive answer on gounding and head unit and amps.

I've got the AVO din pocket on order and intend to stuff an amp in the back and my EMPG in the din. I'm going to use a LOC to get the CD and radio into the AUX in on the EMPEG.

What are peoples take on gounding audio stuff? Some folks say gound the head unit and stuff up front to the chassis and the amps in the back to the chassis.

Other says ground all the gear at the same point. In my last car that's what the installer did, running a gound wire for the headad unit to the same spot as the amp.

Anyway, advice appreciated. Thx.

-Ian

Interesting. I am not sure what the advantages of grounding everything in the same spot would be. I don't think you really need to.

I've put in a few systems on my own, never done this and i haven't had any problems.

Do it the easy way. Ground on the frame next to the installed component. If you have ground loop noise, which does happen sometimes, then go for a common ground. Some professional installers just go right ahead with the common ground casue it's only a couple $$ extra for them and they charge you for the time. But if you come back complaining about noise, then it costs them $$.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

If you have Q's about grounding, go to Radio Shack and buy yourself a good DMM. Set it to the impedance function (the Greek letter omega or horsehoe) and test your ground differential. Low impedance figures are good. Remember when you do a chassis ground to use a wire wheel and strip the paint and use a stainless or gold fastener, or use a dab of silicone over a non-treated screw to protect against rust.

For the record, I have never had to ground the head anywhere but through the factory harness on any install I have done. Proper routing of power wires away from signal leads is a must.....no amount of common grounding will overcome inducted noise.

Thanks for the info.

When I had my last unit installed the installer did the common ground then zip-tied the power and signal wires together and ran them down the same path. Needless to say I enjoyed an afternoon of re-routing the power cable to fix it.:rolleyes:

If you are truely worred about a possible ground loop. Just run a small gauge, same size as turn on signal, from the amp to the head unit. I have been doing that for years. You will still have a ground to chassie at the amp, of proper gauge and at the head unit.

Simple and easy to do and saves possible headaches in the future.

Make sure you have a good contact to ground (scratch off paint, make sure the metal is shiny). That is going to make the biggest difference. A radioshack DMM is not going to give you an precise enough measurement to predict a ground loop. Do it the easy way first, if you have a high pitched whine that is ground noise. If you have popping that is caused by blinkers, swithches etc. that is a conducted noise and can be eliminated by the position of small capacitors connected to ground at certain points. Also make sure to run your signal (RCA patch cables) and power cables (+12v) in physically different locations(at least a foot apart). This will cut down on conducted noise also. Make sure you don't get cheap patch cables either as you will not be happy with them. If you have any more questions let me know and I will try to help you. :)

Archived