LegacyGT.com

Grinding going into 4th gear only.......

KTM 525

Add another to the list. I get a slight grab/grind going from 3rd to 4th, unless I double clutch. Sounds to me like a lot of people have problems with 4th gear syncro. How much does it cost to have it replaced?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My dealer has a very good tranny guy on staff. He did the work on my car. It probably helped that he did the same work on his Forester XT first.
"Make your car work better or go faster. Do that, or it's Bling. Bling is not fast. Bling is added weight. So Bling is Sh!t." - Tom Hnatiw, Car Guy

• 2 weeks later...

Any recommendations:

I talked to the dealer. Again, I think I have a bad syncro (going into 4th) My powertrain would normally be covered under a 5yr / 60K mile warranty. However, I am stage 3 and no way I can hide this. I assume the dealer will reject the warranty coverage immediately? Funny thing is that I never slam it into 4th.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I think my 3rd to 4th gear grinding has been fixed (or at least improved). I started experiencing the grind about three months ago. Last summer (July 08), I changed the transmission fluid and put in Mobil 1 75w90. It felt much better than what was in there before, and it was around 8 months before I noticed the grinding. This past Friday, I put in Extra S and it feels like a new transmission. The grinding has happened twice since the refill, both times within the first 50 miles of driving. Since then, I've driven about 500 miles without any grinding at all. I have a COBB STS and I've tried shifting quick, and the tranny takes it like a champ. The Extra S, has made me a believer. The shifts are like butter. It's the closest I've got to the feel of a Civic SI transmission in the Legacy. Definitely money well spent.

• 3 weeks later...
Add yet another 3rd to 4th gear grinder to the list. I noticed mine soon after purchasing the car and actually took it in to the dealer to have it checked. They said everything was fine. I simply lived with it (drove around the problem by not letting the rpms get too high before shifting into 4th gear). I just can't live with it anymore!! For crying out loud, I didn't buy Camry. I bought a sports sedan and want to drive it like one! Into the dealer I go.

Add yet another 3rd to 4th gear grinder to the list. I noticed mine soon after purchasing the car and actually took it in to the dealer to have it checked. They said everything was fine. I simply lived with it (drove around the problem by not letting the rpms get too high before shifting into 4th gear). I just can't live with it anymore!! For crying out loud, I didn't buy Camry. I bought a sports sedan and want to drive it like one! Into the dealer I go.

My dealer couldn't replicate the grind either, so what I figured out was to "spin up" the synchros by going to 1st (not actually shifting into 1st though) until the synchros start whining, then try shifting into 4th. Then you will feel the grind shudder though your body (or the tech that is going for the ride along).

My dealer couldn't replicate the grind either, so what I figured out was to "spin up" the synchros by going to 1st (not actually shifting into 1st though) until the synchros start whining, then try shifting into 4th. Then you will feel the grind shudder though your body (or the tech that is going for the ride along).

When you say "not actually shifting into 1st" do you mean you simply slide the gear shift into 1st gear without disengaging the clutch and then try to go to 4th?

I have a similar issue and i need some feedback.

I noticed that my gears are grinding when i go from 5th to 4th and only @ low RPM's. less than 2000. If I am downshifting from high RPM <3000 then it shifts fine. But when I am just rolling @ 60MPH in 5th, then down shift (without revving to spool up the turbo) there is a slight grind entering 4th. It sounds like syncros to me.

I have the SOA extended warranty until 100k miles but i don't want to wait until there are bigger issues.

Anybody ever heard of this?

When you say "not actually shifting into 1st" do you mean you simply slide the gear shift into 1st gear without disengaging the clutch and then try to go to 4th?

Push in the clutch and slide the shifter to the point where the synchros start to spin up. Then with the clutch pedal still pushed in, proceed to shift into your problem gear. You don't have to be going any faster that about 40mph. Act as if you are going to slowly downshift into 1st. You should be able to hear the synchros whining as they speed up.

I have a similar issue and i need some feedback.

I noticed that my gears are grinding when i go from 5th to 4th and only @ low RPM's. less than 2000. If I am downshifting from high RPM <3000 then it shifts fine. But when I am just rolling @ 60MPH in 5th, then down shift (without revving to spool up the turbo) there is a slight grind entering 4th. It sounds like syncros to me.

I have the SOA extended warranty until 100k miles but i don't want to wait until there are bigger issues.

Anybody ever heard of this?

How many miles?

Considering my 4th gear was giving me problems at 4800 miles (when I bought it), there may actually be an issue with the 4th gear synchro.

• 2 weeks later...
I noticed that going from 2nd to 3rd gear around 4k rpms it "locks" in neutral. Well it feels more like it's going in between 1st and 3rd. It will allow me to shift into 3rd once the rpms start to drop or if I give it a slight blip of the throttle. I've heard everything from synchro,clutch, slave/master cylinder. This is my first Subaru/AWD so I'm not sure what these cars are notorious for and what common issues are.

I noticed that going from 2nd to 3rd gear around 4k rpms it "locks" in neutral. Well it feels more like it's going in between 1st and 3rd. It will allow me to shift into 3rd once the rpms start to drop or if I give it a slight blip of the throttle. I've heard everything from synchro,clutch, slave/master cylinder. This is my first Subaru/AWD so I'm not sure what these cars are notorious for and what common issues are.

Having to 'rev match' sounds like a synchro issue.

Grasping at straws here. I performed both items below shortly before I started noticing the grind in 4th. Could either of the following contribute to the 3rd to 4th gear grind:

1. Replacing the front and rear OEM shifter bushings w/ Kartboy bushings?

2. Transmission fluid changed at the local Subaru dealer?

Honda guys with cars made around 2005/2006 had problems with second gear acting shitty, not synchronizing at all below 20 deg F.

The concensus there was to drain the thick factory stuff and use Pennzoil Synchromesh. After that happened, Honda realized they screwed up and changed the formula last year of their MTF. In that case I think it was becuase the factory fill was too thick???

It scares the hell out of me that you guys are having so many tranny's that actual require parts to repair.

• 2 weeks later...
Update: My car has been with Subaru now for over a week. I am hoping to get it back tomorrow or Saturday. When I do, I will let you all know what they did and most importanty, whether it worked. I do know that they replaced the 3-4 synchros for sure . . . but I think they are doing more, all under warranty! I must say, to Subaru's credit, they have been outstanding to deal with thus far.

• 4 months later...

Man, I got busy around the holidays and new year and have not had a chance to give you all an update on the repairs. As I mentioned in my previous post, the dealer did in fact replace the 4th gear synchro. Theya also replaced the 3rd and 4th gear assembly. The real shocker was that they also replaced my clutch under warranty!! I never even noticed a problem with the clutch (and I am not hard on clutches . . . I just replaced the original clutch in my other car at 215,000 miles!). I am happy to report that the car drives better than the day I bought it.

Interestingly, they had the car for about 2 weeks trying to get what they called "upgraded" parts. Upon hearing the phrase "upgraded" parts, I have come to believe that there is an issue with this 5 speed transmission (particularly the synchros). That being said, Subaru did one hell of a job taking care of me (including providing a rental car).

That's an exceptionally good service from a Subaru dealer. Post the dealer name. Might be a south west thing where they actually work on retaining and attracting customers, unlike here in New England where they could not care less.

That's an exceptionally good service from a Subaru dealer. Post the dealer name. Might be a south west thing where they actually work on retaining and attracting customers, unlike here in New England where they could not care less.

Sorry to hear you experience such poor service up in New England. The dealer I purchased the car from and have had service it from day 1 is Power Subaru in Scottsdale Arizona.

Try wearing a suit and tie when you take you car in next time . . . perhaps that's what did it for me!?

Archived