LegacyGT.com

Grinding going into 4th gear only.......

KTM 525

If you have a dealer with some good techs (well even if you don't) I'd just bring it in...I dont think you can lose. As I noted, I had mine replaced (bad synchro).

Any updates on this??? I got my car used and I'm experiencing the same thing... 3rd and 4th gear. Should I get a new tranny from the dealership???

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I have had this a few times recently, its only when I'm driving hard, and its like I miss the shift (aka dont get the clutch in time) but last time it happened the clutch was to the floor and i had to go back to N and then go to 4th before it stopped whining.

However its not really repeatable, for those of you who had it fixed did you have to get it to the point where it would happen on a regular basis and was repeatable?

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Mine was repeatable....every time from what I recall.

I thought synchro problems usually showed up when down shifting , not upshifting, but I'm not smart on this. Anyway, I had downshifting problems and it turned out to be a bad 4th gear syncro (I had to double clutch to keep it at bay).

Dealer replaced under warrantee.

I took my car in for this very same issue on Monday. They said something about lubing the ball at the bottom of the shifter and bending some tab, then told me to try that out. It took about 2 mins from the dealership to the on ramp to the highway for me to see it was still there. I am really glad that I found this thread so now I know Im not the only one.

Amy

04 FXT vf39 5mt

• 8 months later...
I am having this problem now, again at 39,000 miles. I had it a year ago, but it went away when I had a specialty shop in Toronto put in their special Subaru tranny "juice". Maybe over the winter I didn't notice anything with the OE shifter back in, but once things warmed up again, the problem reappeared. Until the fluids warm up, there is no issue going 3-4, but once everything is warm, a 3-4 shift, even under light throttle at anything around or above 50 mph brings some unwanted noise. Off to the dealer, I guess, as I am still under powertrain warranty. I want to get this dealt with before some more events/track days or something goes seriously wrong.
"Make your car work better or go faster. Do that, or it's Bling. Bling is not fast. Bling is added weight. So Bling is Sh!t." - Tom Hnatiw, Car Guy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm having the same issue at 3,000ish rpms. I've been running redline 75w90ns for the past 30,000 miles. The fluid in there now is under 3000 miles old.

v33k, is the grind still gone? I may try removing a quart of redline and adding the shockproof.

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

45,000 miles now. I followed the dealer's recommendation of RedLine and Shockproof (which they did so that it was recorded on the service log for Subaru) just after my last post. That really improved matters, but there was still some grinding at the top of 3rd gear. I think there was a correlation to being on the GP track at Mosport. Since there shouldn't be any grinding at all, the car went in to have warranty work done. The dealer reported that the 3-4 synchro was "sticking". Everything was done under warranty. I decided to take advantage of Subaru paying for all the labour and have the dealer put in a new clutch assembly. I am having to get used to the new clutch feel, as it bites sooner, but feels great.
"Make your car work better or go faster. Do that, or it's Bling. Bling is not fast. Bling is added weight. So Bling is Sh!t." - Tom Hnatiw, Car Guy

• 3 months later...
I'm having the same issue at 3,000ish rpms. I've been running redline 75w90ns for the past 30,000 miles. The fluid in there now is under 3000 miles old.

v33k, is the grind still gone? I may try removing a quart of redline and adding the shockproof.

Update after 6 months.

It was -10F last few days here.

No signs of 4th gear grind, and same effort as stock getting into 1st gear during cold.

This cocktail works well for me.

besides the synrco the cone clutches aka blocker rings could be worn down. say your in 3rd gear. The shaft is locked to 3rd gear and spining at that speed. when you go to shift into 4th gear, 4th gear is not going to be at the same speed. The cone clutches are there to eaither speed up the gear or slow down the gear to spin at the same speed as the shaft. Most of the time when the syncro is bad you will have a pop out condition. With a bad cone clutch you will get a block out condition. I dont think anyone said that couldnt get into the gear but im just sharing some info. Back to the syncro I just rebulit my transmission and subaru uses some odd keyways for the syncro hub. Someone wrote in here subaru said the syncro was sticking i could see that happing easily if the keyways got moved even just a little bit.

I actually did have my 4th gear synchro go bad fairly early on at about 20k...dealer replaced. Fortunately they had a real good trans guy on staff--he was surprised to see 4th gear go (I guess the lower gears are usually the problem), but after one drive, he was fairly confident that was the problem...sure enough, it was.

Archived