LegacyGT.com

Seafoaming

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's made from 100% petroleum products:

Pale Oil, naphtha, and isopropyl alcohol; which are claimed to be effective solvents for the complex hydrocarbon deposits. I used it just before my last 2 oil changes and the oil seems to be staying cleaner longer this last time.

FWIW, Subaru has a oil system flush now. I bought a can the other day. Plan to use it in the 05 before the next oil change a few weeks from now. I also bought a oil of Lucus oil additive that I'll add during the oil change.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...
Probably. I was going to do that anyway.

Seafoaming soon as I'm due for an oil change and banjo bolt filter replacement.

Replacement or elimination? I thought the BBF was an issue with our cars?

I may seafoam next oil change, hadn't really though about it till perusing this thread. Need to smoke out my neighbors again, been too long :)

• 1 month later...
Is anyone worried about the seafoam in the oil loosening up deposits/sludge that could potentially harm the turbo as they pass through? Or plugging off the banjo bolt filter for those that still have them installed?

You typically do an oil change after seafoam in the crankcase for this very reason (on any engine). These are valid concerns. Definitely worth checking out the banjo filter though.

You could make the same argument for any cleaner who's purpose is to loosen and remove deposits,such as putting a fuel system cleaner into your tank. I think that the hope with using these items is to remove little particles that can be drained out in the oil or burned up verses a chunk comming off and clogging something.

• 2 weeks later...

I just did the DD today and it smoked all to hell and back. Not sure what the CEL was on the way back into town but because I was looking at that and thinking about what I could possibly have screwed up in the small process I got pulled over. Supposedly 44 in a 25. Pretty bad in for that old Civic. Glad I live in a small town because normally I would have gotten a ticket. Thanks to the guy that pulled me over for understanding and letting my 11-year perfect driving record stand.

Stuff works great. The subies may be due for it again before long. The Forester seems to be suffering a bit lately.

Yeah, you definitely want to leave the bolt in. Take the filter out but the bolt needs to stay in. If you leave it out the whole car might catch on fire. I seafoamed my Subaru a few months ago before changing the oil but I didn't do anything with the plugs. I haven't had any issues at all. My banjo filters are gone though.

FWIW, have you guy's cleaned your MAF and IAT sensors ?

I found that made a big difference in how the car ran when cold. I have also seafoamed my 05 through the gas tank.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

ya ive cleaned mine.. didn't notice much of a difference though so maybe replacing the maf farther down the road might do the trick.

also, of course the bolt's in there... didn't mean to say it like everyone interpreted..oh well.

ill be seafoaming in a month or so..

Archived