LegacyGT.com

who here has beaters for their LGT

i've had my LGT for about a month and a half now, and i already racked up 2800 miles on her. a co-worker is getting rid of his 90 something CRX. he'll give to me for $250. he said it won't pass inspection. depending on how much it'll take to get pass inspection, im thinking off using the CRX as a daily beater.

who here has beaters for their LGT?

btw, the crazy thing is that my insurance might be a lil cheaper if i have the CRX as a primary car.

Why have a cheap little car to drive? The Legacy is meant to be an every day car. It is not a $200,000 + super car. Plus, if you were in a crash, which car would you rather be in -a CRX or a Legacy?

all of you guys are competely ridiculous (edit--except mightyS). if i buy a legacy GT, it will be a beater to keep miles off my vintage Mazda! safer, more comfortable, more reliable, more warrantied, more fast. to have a nice new car and not drive it is just insane. unless you have to park on a city street under a flock of pigeons, i see no reason to have a "daily beater".

my Mazda has 193,500 miles on it, the interior looks like new, it drives like new, it runs like new, and i can count the dents on two hands (and tell you where EVERY dent came from). except for the hood, the paint is all shiny. take care of your car but, jeeze, drive it!

Well I want a beater because I don't know how many keying incidents I'm gonna get once I start commuting to Queens College in NYC. Before I wanted a beater bc I didn't want to deliver pizza in my Legacy anymore. And if you actually save money on gas and insurance over time, why not?

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

all of you guys are competely ridiculous (edit--except mightyS). if i buy a legacy GT, it will be a beater to keep miles off my vintage Mazda! safer, more comfortable, more reliable, more warrantied, more fast. to have a nice new car and not drive it is just insane. unless you have to park on a city street under a flock of pigeons, i see no reason to have a "daily beater".

my Mazda has 193,500 miles on it, the interior looks like new, it drives like new, it runs like new, and i can count the dents on two hands (and tell you where EVERY dent came from). except for the hood, the paint is all shiny. take care of your car but, jeeze, drive it!

Agreed Jon! Get out and drive your Subbies and enjoy them. Why pay top dollar for an amazing car and then just garage it and drive a "lesser" vehicle just to keep the miles off of it. I would rather have a newer looking car with more miles than the other way around. I had an 01 Mazda 626 with just over 121K and it looked and drived awesome (traded it in for an OB for my ski trips in the winter).

-S

my LGT is my beater.. well, I still take care of it.. none of my cars will ever be beaters, if it is a 1973 Caprice Station Wagon.. I just love all my cars equally, wouldnt you like to have all your cars run smooth? I sure do.

Keefe

Keefe

I think many of you are missing the point. He is probably looking for a "commuter" vehicle. He doesn't necessarily mean a winter beater or a daily driver, just something to get to and from work without racking up the miles. I can understand this. I've had my car for about 5 weeks and I never realized that I drive 2500+ miles a month! I started a new job and hadn't really kept track of the mileage since, so when the miles started piling up from '0' I took notice. I don't really want a car that's out of warranty after only a year or 18 months. :( Especially one that I plan on taking to the lake place, going on road trips, or even just general tooling around town. But frankly, I don't really get to "drive" my car on the way to and from work (save for a stretch about 4 miles long which I enjoy immensely) so why not just use a beater for that 250-300+ miles per week?

I kept my old car a '95 Camry. I drive it to the mall because I don't care as much if it get dinged up a little more. As for work? I plan on biking as soon as it stops snowing.

LOL ... if you can bike to work, then you don't face the same commute I was commenting on ;)

I drive at LEAST 24.6 miles each way and that's a pretty direct route on the freeway. To take backroads would give me a 30+ mile bike ride! :lol:

I also usually head out for lunch so that adds anywhere from 2-12 miles too. Oh well.

I think many of you are missing the point. He is probably looking for a "commuter" vehicle. He doesn't necessarily mean a winter beater or a daily driver, just something to get to and from work without racking up the miles. I can understand this. I've had my car for about 5 weeks and I never realized that I drive 2500+ miles a month! I started a new job and hadn't really kept track of the mileage since, so when the miles started piling up from '0' I took notice. I don't really want a car that's out of warranty after only a year or 18 months. :( Especially one that I plan on taking to the lake place, going on road trips, or even just general tooling around town. But frankly, I don't really get to "drive" my car on the way to and from work (save for a stretch about 4 miles long which I enjoy immensely) so why not just use a beater for that 250-300+ miles per week?

Hi-My two cents-I do 35-45k annually. I bought the subaru backed extended warranty"gold or platinum" whatever the highest one is, for 5 years 100,000 miles for 1800 bucks, they will even bill you monthly. I'm obsessive about cars and I was looking at 3 cylinder Justy's for novelty/slash beater purposes but that has worn off.

........for the moment.

This is not my beautiful car.

I still have my old car as well a 92 Maxima SE for those trips into the city or anywhere else I think my car would get vandalized, dented or stolen. I could care less to what happens to the exterior of the Maxima, don't get me wrong though I still love the Maxima just love the Legacy more.

i got into Subarus because i *didn't* want to have to deal with two cars. my problem was, i couldn't just let the beater be a beater - i was always spending time and money on it to make it look and run better. :rolleyes: a beater still means time and money on repairs, maintenance, insurance, inpections, registration, etc. any scratches you get on the Legacy would not be less money to repair than what you'll be paying for the average beater in the long run, time and money wise.

I still have my 1987 Merkur XR4Ti as a backup car. I daily drive the LGT, but it's nice to have another set of wheels should the need arise. The Merkur is also a great hauler. Since it's a hatchback, and the rear seats fold down flat, I can fit an amazing amount of stuff inside. An 8' tall Christmas tree fit inside, with the hatch closed!

I have a Del Sol as a "beater" car. When you think about it overall, there are definite benefits to having a "beater" car.

1) Does not require high octane like the Legacy.

2) Better gas mileage. (can't beat ~41 mpg)

3) Requires less oil than the Legacy (I change the oil quite often because of my commute) not to mention cheaper maintenance (tires, etc)

4) I spend a heck of a lot less time cleaning the car

5) Less possibility of getting a speeding ticket (you can floor the Del Sol and it'll look at you and say, "Are you crazy!?!?" whereas in the Legacy will be asking you, "Is that all you got!"

6) Believe it or not, sometimes it's fun/easy pushing the little car to the limits (ie twisties) whereas in the Legacy it's harder to do that and a little more dangerous (really need to take it to the track :) )

7) It makes me appreciate the Legacy that much more and respect the power it has.

8) Insurance is cheaper (for both cars combined)

9) No worries if I need to go into the city (or getting the Legacy banged up)

10) Hopefully, this will save me from buying another car that much longer

11) I've got a backup car in case either car needs to go to the shop for maintenance/repairs.

Of course, this is just my opinion. :)

-Moto

my LGT is my beater..

My OBXT is my beater. It is the car that is outside in bad weather, it is the winter grime car, basically, it is the hearty car....although, like you, I still take care of it, properly detailed all the time, kept as clean as possible inside, and all the proper service stuff done to keep it running strong.

Archived