LegacyGT.com

Tire recommendations for Boston

suladed

Hi all,

I am in the market for new tires, tried to search within the main tire review thread for "boston" and "massachusetts" and only found two posts. Perhaps I didn't search properly, if so, give me pointers!

But if I did, and that post doesn't have many Mass/NE tire reviews, can you all give me your favorite tire rec's?

I'm looking for good performance, not to loud, tread life is nice too

Of course, the complication is I have not decided on all seasons or winter/summer separates. Historically I've done summers and winters, but I'm getting lazy.

so, favorite all seasons? favorite summers?

EDIT:

went through the main tire review stickied post and collected this list (might have missed some)

Summer:

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 (Max Performance Summer)

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric (Max Performance Summer)

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec (Extreme Performance Summer)

all season:

Bridgestone RE960AS (Ultra High Performance All-Season)

Conti Extreme Contact (Ultra High Performance All-Season radial)

Michelin Pilot Sport Plus (Ultra High Performance All-Season)

agree? disagree?

thanks

Since this will be my 2nd winter up here this is an awesome question I had too, actually. Good call.

Along the same lines, does anyone keep their OEM or aftermarket rims on during the winter? I remember in Germany people would switch to the black steelies for the duration of snow time...recommendations?

I see lots of subarus (and other makes) in the winter with oem rims. a set of cheap aftermarket rims are not a bad solution either. My last set-up (on 99 impreza L) was 6 spoke RS rims for summer tires and 1st generation wrx rims for winter (these were available through tirerack for a while). For the LGT's I'm close to 100% certain there are no steel rims that fit over the brakes. But (Ultimatepunch) you have a 2.5i which has smaller brakes, so you could possibly run 16" rims (wrx, rs etc.) or get OBS rims. but confirm this first

Conti DWS seems to be what a lot of us are looking at. I will buy them this winter for next Spring. I ran Michelin Alpin PA2's for 4 winters and Dunlop summer only's, DZ101's. I have Blazzicks LM25's now for winter.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Dunlop Direzza Star Spec1 on OEM rims for summer and Dunlop M3 on aftermarket rims for winter. Non-GTs can wear 16" rims off other Subies, GT brakes don't clear those.

Steelies woild be nice but again, I haven't heard those being available in 17 for LGT offsets, so inexpensive aftermarket is easier for LGT owner to live with.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I run the bridgestone re960's I have had them on for a few months now and I love them. I am located an hour and 1/2 outside Boston so the driving conditions aren't that different. I have not run them in the winter yet but a friend of mine with an STI with the same tires doesn't have any issues in the winter.

I used to have separate set-ups for winter and summer but I also got annoyed and lazy and went to an all season tire.

That's my .02 cents

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

When I had my WRX I ran 17" wheels in the summer with bridgestone re760 sports and blizzak on-25's in the winter and loved them but the 760's got loud. I run the re960's on BBS wheels with 225/45/17 tire size.
I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

I run Dunlop Graspic ice tires with a lot of air in them (40-45) to make up a bit from the squishieness of them. I have also a set of Continentals that came on some 18" rotas that I've been running. They're performance snows that are fine for dry so far. If I were doing all season, I'd go with RE-92 take offs. Why? Because Subaru people think they're Satan, so sell them for close to nothing. They're a good compromise tire if you don't want to run snows. I have a gaggle of different wheels....Sport Edition (made by ASA) for the snows, Rotas for the 18's, some 07 WRX wheels with RE-92's that I picked up for some reason that I can't really remember (they're on my wife's car right now) and the 08 LGT wheels.

• I Donated
RE92s may not be the devil, but that doesn't mean they're at all competitive with any decent tires that use current technology. They're mediocre all-seasons, and snow tires and summer tires are obviously better than any all-season for what they have been designed for. If you want a good compromise tire, get an actual decent all-season, not RE92 takeoffs (especially because most RE92 takeoffs have a reasonable amount of mileage on them, and any tire degrades as the tread depth decreases, especially RE92s).

I think the Conti DWS's are a decent tire(currently on LGT) and we shall see in the winter.

I own RE960's on my WRX and love them except in winter conditions. I will probably move over Conti DWS especially given price.

Michelin's Pilot Sport + seemed okay in the snow on a car a friend begged me to drive as she was too scared. M3 convertible :) May have well been driving a 4 cylinder as no power could be put down.

I'm currently running Nokian Hakka R's for winter tires. I think having those at the winter driving school was almost unfair. They let you put gobs of power down in packed snow, so I probably looked like a better driver than I really was. :)

Early summer, I ran Hankook Ventus V4s. Good all around summer tire, was great in the rain.

Later this summer I bought wheels with Falken RT615's. Highest performance summer tire I have ever owned, and boy do they grip WELL -- you basically have to be doing something illegal to break these loose in good weather. Story's different when it gets cold, and hydroplaning can happen. I got some 1st gear wheel spin on wet 50 degree asphalt yesterday morning, which took me a little by surprise.

Archived